Pros and Cons Thread #3 - Enabling and De-Enabling

Lisa Myobun

I like the Haindl, including the unusual court cards. I find his use of the I Ching on the minors interesting (though I don't always agree). Nemia really covered a lot of good points about it... The main reason I'm commenting is to say that if you decide to get it, and you don't mind large cards (6" x 3 3/8") in German, I think it's worth getting the '88 Knaur for lighter, brighter colors. (I posted pics of mine and link to buy here. I called the borders cream; I've since had someone say it's light beige -- anyway it's light compared to other editions.) The US Games looks muddy to me by comparison, and the Knaur can usually be found cheap.

I enjoy it for comparison, but it hasn't been a go to, workhorse sort of deck for me. Though to be fair, only my 2 favorites are my go to decks.

Thank you so much Rose – this is incredibly helpful! I'm pretty enabled I have to say… But I've already pretty much blown my Tarot budget for the month! (There's always June...)

staticfuzz

Thoughts on the Harmonious Tarot?

AJ

harmonious

one of my favorites.
Full of little details for intuitive reading if you wish.
the blending of Walter Crane's art with Fitzpatrick's seems 'harmonious' to my eye. Often themed decks can be pretty uneven because there wasn't enough of the original to flesh out.
And at its base, it is RWS and doesn't need a companion book..One of LoS more successful meldings.

On the other hand I've struggled with the judgment card every time it comes up. even magnified there is stuff going on there that I just don't get.

inexpensive and easily found, why not?

Nemia

I have the Harmonious mini and love it - regret now that I didn't buy the normal size and trimmed it.

It's a beautiful, non-threatening deck but it's not kitschy or overly perfect. I always liked illustrations like Walter Crane's. The deck is easy to read. I agree with AJ on every count.

I sometimes play tarot patience with it, just an expanded versioin of my good old Harp (don't know how the game is called in English).

I wish I had the money to invest in Victorian illustration decks :) Rackham oracle, Wonderland... so many others... and I'm still waiting for the Kate Greenaway tarot and the Phiz tarot!

Le Fanu

Lovely deck The Harmonious but I am patiently waiting for a version without all the multilingual titles. Surely one day...

barefootlife

I see almost universal love for the Arthur Rackham oracle. Why do I need it in my life? What can it give me that other oracles don't?

AnemoneRosie

Rackham Oracle

It's much "darker" (read: more balanced) than many other oracle decks. It doesn't gloss over the fact that life can be challenging at times, which many oracles do.

Another nice thing about it is that it has enough cards (72) that you can do a celtic cross with it if you're so inclined. I prefer using it for the cc instead of Tarot, actually. It also comes with significator cards for a deeper experience.

I've done some exchanges here with it, if you want to see how it reads.

cosita

Mystical Tarot

I've seen the thread on the Mystical Tarot and there's been mostly positive reviews and raves. I was wondering if anyone's had other experiences with the deck. I need some de-enabling from this deck, at least for the time being. Thank you!

CharlotteK

I've seen the thread on the Mystical Tarot and there's been mostly positive reviews and raves. I was wondering if anyone's had other experiences with the deck. I need some de-enabling from this deck, at least for the time being. Thank you!

I'm underwhelmed by the Mystical Tarot. It's OK, some of the art is nice, but it is undeniably rather odd, and less interesting to read with than I expected. I don't think the borders are very nice either. I was really looking forward to getting this deck, and I was quite disappointed when it turned up. It's in my "probably sell" pile, I don't go to it, there are far better decks out there.

cosita

I'm underwhelmed by the Mystical Tarot. It's OK, some of the art is nice, but it is undeniably rather odd, and less interesting to read with than I expected. I don't think the borders are very nice either. I was really looking forward to getting this deck, and I was quite disappointed when it turned up. It's in my "probably sell" pile, I don't go to it, there are far better decks out there.

Thank you! Yep, I'm with you on the borders. I'm not quite sure if I like them or not.