Which cards can make or break a deck for you?

Ramoth

I just realized that the three of swords is a make-or-break card for me. I do not understand the traditional RWS image. I mean, I know that the associated meanings include heartbreak, grief, separation, feeling betrayed; it's the image itself that I can't get behind. But it's always a two-step process for me to get there -- oh, it's three swords stabbing a heart, so that means the heart is broken, and it's raining, so that's gloomy -- impersonal, if I had to chose a word. Something about the super-literal symbolism is very off-putting to me. It especially bothers me because it focuses so purely on a feeling of sadness and grief. Just straight-up, you're gonna be sad.

With the Wild Unknown, the 3 of Swords is very similar to the standard RWS layout, except instead of a heart, it's a bloodied red ribbon or rope that's obviously binding three different swords together. That works for me. This card speaks to me about conflicting ideals that are threatening a close and long-running relationship. It could be a friendship -- those swords remind me of the Three Musketeers. A conflict of ideals over the years is inevitable, but these people are your closest friends, feelings of heartbreak and confusion are natural. This focuses more on the actual situation -- not just saying, ooohhh I'm so sad.

I have heard some people say they just have to see a certain card before they decide to get a deck. I think the 3 of Swords is it for me. (Especially because every other deck I like to use doesn't have the stabby-heart image, either.)

What are your make-or-break cards? What speaks to you about them?

werewolfmoon

The Three of Swords and the Magician.

If I don't like those two cards, I don't buy the deck. The three has to be a powerful but sad card, as does the Magician, I like strong imagery.

ficbot

I saw a deck once that messed up the Nine of Swords and I could not get past it. I get this card a lot and it's really a powerful card for me. It didn't work in that deck and so I did not trust the deck after that.

Achlys

The Hermit-I use this card as a significator in a good amount of readings for myself. If I don't feel connected to the Hermit, I usually won't purchase the deck.

The Queen of Swords-Same reason for the Hermit.

The Moon-I've always felt a connection with the Moon card. If it doesn't wow me, I might peruse the deck but often will lose interest.

greatdane

Any if they really feel off from the rest of the deck

If any card feels really different from the rest of the deck or a card just doesn't resonate with at least a semblance of RWS imagery for ME, that would do it.

Doesn't mean I like all cards equally in a deck, but if ONE, any one is REALLY off to me, that could keep me from wanting to use it or even buy it.

EmpyreanKnight

There is no particular card that is a deal maker or breaker for me, though I favor certain cards, like the Empress and Emperor for example. If I find those cards positively breath-taking in a deck I'd rate as a 7 or 8 on average, I would still not buy that deck. If a deck is a 9 or 10 though, even if I find 5 cards as meh, I'd still buy it.

tarotlova

No particular cards for me either, but it's the pip cards that I look at. I like just as much detail in them as the majors. :)

Sar

The Hermit-I use this card as a significator in a good amount of readings for myself. If I don't feel connected to the Hermit, I usually won't purchase the deck.

I have the same relationship with The Hanged Man.

Gwynydd

I've always felt a strong connection to the Hermit. Then, I discovered it's my birth card, so it's taken on even more importance to me :)

Saskia

Difficult question. Basically any card that seems "off", i.e. is not portraying at all what I associate with that card.

For example, I stopped using the Steampunk Tarot by Barbara Moore, because the Empress was not "right". To me she's the divine, the nature, Gaia, the Goddess, whereas in that deck she's a self-entitled young lady with a flirty look. Just not "mother earth" or even ethereal enough to my liking.

Court cards matter maybe more than the pips, because they have to embody and convey the suit's powers as people, but also be relatable. In the Steampunk deck, the Kings are too feminine or somehow sleezy-looking. I just couldn't work with them.

I usually focus more on the overall style and I'm not a fan of modern-looking, i.e. contemporary illustrations nor photos.