Deck of the Week : Sign-up Thread: Week 264 : August 20 - August 27

BodhiSeed

I'm enjoying the mythology and illustrations in the Sacred India Tarot, but it seems to be a deck for personal use (at least for me). There are too many figures that I'm unfamiliar with that require me to do some background study for most of the cards. Lovely deck though!

strings of life

The Harmonious really packs a punch with readings, so I'm glad I gave it a second chance this time around! I posted in the Daily Draws thread and an interesting thing happened---the jumper card that I got was the same jumper card I got on my last reading for myself in May :eek:. Someone needs to start paying attention and stop procrastinating...

And the mini size really is perfect. It's difficult to shuffle the deck normally, so I just spread the cards on a table and reassemble them, which makes shuffling rather fun.

I'll do a search on the forum, but having a book on Victorian flower types would be helpful...not that I plan on incorporating every flower type as a symbol in readings; I'm basically using the colors to denote the type of growth, but would enjoy adding extra symbolism when possible. The directions of the characters also lend well to readings.

The Study Forum has all of the Minors done, so I may contribute my thoughts as well. I wish this deck had a companion book!

BodhiSeed

I'll do a search on the forum, but having a book on Victorian flower types would be helpful...not that I plan on incorporating every flower type as a symbol in readings; I'm basically using the colors to denote the type of growth, but would enjoy adding extra symbolism when possible. The directions of the characters also lend well to readings.
You've probably already run across this site, but if not, it may be of some help:
http://www.victorianbazaar.com/meanings.html
(You might need sunglasses to view it :D)

strings of life

These websites might help with the identification:

http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Wildflowers

http://healthyhomegardening.com/Flower_Identifier.php?m1=3

(or they could lead you down a rabbit hole for endless hours! :laugh:)
Thanks for these as well! I may buy this book, A Victorian Flower Dictionary: The Language of Flowers Companion since print format is much easier for me to use. The flower type does seem to lend to some of the meanings on the cards (e.g. corn husks), so I may make a list of cards and flower types and post it in the Study Group here. But like I said earlier, I won't go crazy trying to analyze them all...

I'm so glad I'm spending time with this deck. The artwork really lends itself to stories in readings!

BodhiSeed

Thanks for these as well! I may buy this book, A Victorian Flower Dictionary: The Language of Flowers Companion since print format is much easier for me to use. The flower type does seem to lend to some of the meanings on the cards (e.g. corn husks), so I may make a list of cards and flower types and post it in the Study Group here. But like I said earlier, I won't go crazy trying to analyze them all...

I'm so glad I'm spending time with this deck. The artwork really lends itself to stories in readings!
That looks like a good book - I'm with you on preferring paper pages to websites!

Madame Squee

Wow! Thank both of you for all the excellent Victorian wildflower information!

I might go for that book, too. I used to be all about electronic books, because they don't take up space or get lost, but I've since realized that they aren't all that handy as reference books. It seems to take me a long time to jump around inside an electronic book -- I'd much rather thumb through paper pages.

The Harmonious is one of my all-time favorites. I love Walter Crane! But I never thought about studying the meaning of the flowers. Thank you for the inspiration, SOL!