Delaying readings

Mooconfusion

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else has a habit of drawing the cards for a reading, taking a quick glance, writing them down and then sitting down later to decipher them in more detail? Sometimes I just feel too overwhelmed and instead of wasting a reading, I thought this way might help me.

Do you think it's a bad habit or should be something to avoid?

CrystalSeas

I find that after I have worked hard to craft a good question and have focused on the question as I draw the cards, that delaying interpretation means that I've lost focus when I do get back to the spread.

Often I will do an initial note taking for my first impressions and then go back through to see how it all connects.

Once I've finished, I may take a snap of the spread (or add it to my journal) so I can go back later to see what my unconscious has dredged up while contemplating the reading.

I'd lose an awful lot of information if I put all that work into creating the question and focusing on the cards, and then just took a quick glance at them. It's hard to get back into the same mindset so that the cards you drew are the correct answers to the question

I'll often put off doing a reading if I don't have time to think about the answers the cards are trying to send. Seems very disruptive to break off a process and then try to get back in step with the cards again

Mooconfusion

I find that after I have worked hard to craft a good question and have focused on the question as I draw the cards, that delaying interpretation means that I've lost focus when I do get back to the spread.

Often I will do an initial note taking for my first impressions and then go back through to see how it all connects.

Once I've finished, I may take a snap of the spread (or add it to my journal) so I can go back later to see what my unconscious has dredged up while contemplating the reading.

I'd lose an awful lot of information if I put all that work into creating the question and focusing on the cards, and then just took a quick glance at them. It's hard to get back into the same mindset so that the cards you drew are the correct answers to the question

Hey :)

I see where you're coming from but I struggle to focus for an extended period of time :(

DaughterOfDanu

I do that all the time. Though I prefer to take a picture to look at later. I've always considered it one of the perks of being able to read cards :p I very rarely include long interpretations when I record my own personal readings. I just make sure to note what each card's position is in the spread and call it a day. I do like to review them later, as sometimes things will pop out that I didn't notice before.

Marcus R

For me, a spread is to be read at the time of casting.

danieljuk

I have to start working and analysing the reading in that moment or I lose interest / concentration in it! I like to do the reading, look over it first with a clear mind and see what pictures have patterns or connections and if anything intuitively comes to me and then start interpreting it card by card. I write down all the cards and quick notes and then go more deeply into the card. Sometimes if it is a larger reading, I will do the cards over several days but have initial notes at the start of the reading. When I have written out the reading, I like to give it 24 hours or longer thinking time! Sometimes things come to me and then I write a summary of the reading at the end. I do like to have that extra time.

I don't like doing "instant" readings over about 3 cards, they take time with me but give me the best results. so I do delay them. If I can, I like to leave them laid out but that is not always possible. I have to do the first impressions though. I am hoping with skill and experience I can really cut down on my process and the first impressions are often the most important of all but I am comfortable with my method :)

Mooconfusion

I do that all the time. Though I prefer to take a picture to look at later. I've always considered it one of the perks of being able to read cards :p I very rarely include long interpretations when I record my own personal readings. I just make sure to note what each card's position is in the spread and call it a day. I do like to review them later, as sometimes things will pop out that I didn't notice before.

Glad to hear someone else does the same. It gives me time to think about it instead of reading based on a knee jerk reaction. I think even intuition needs to be reasoned with to a certain degree.

Mooconfusion

I have to start working and analysing the reading in that moment or I lose interest / concentration in it! I like to do the reading, look over it first with a clear mind and see what pictures have patterns or connections and if anything intuitively comes to me and then start interpreting it card by card. I write down all the cards and quick notes and then go more deeply into the card. Sometimes if it is a larger reading, I will do the cards over several days but have initial notes at the start of the reading. When I have written out the reading, I like to give it 24 hours or longer thinking time! Sometimes things come to me and then I write a summary of the reading at the end. I do like to have that extra time.

I don't like doing "instant" readings over about 3 cards, they take time with me but give me the best results. so I do delay them. If I can, I like to leave them laid out but that is not always possible. I have to do the first impressions though. I am hoping with skill and experience I can really cut down on my process and the first impressions are often the most important of all but I am comfortable with my method :)

I'm still fairly new to tarot, so I definitely take my time. I get a general impression and when I go back I find I have a fresher perspective :D

Bonny

Yeh, I find a bit of both...
Mostly I prefer to see them then get away from them for a bit and let my subconscious draw some links :)

LauraKai

Yes, I do it quite a bit too. I usually take a photo of the cards and then come back to them later when my head is a little clearer. I usually find that the meanings then fall right into place, and I sometimes notice little connections that I wouldn't have spotted otherwise :)