Thinking about a card when shuffling that shows up

Adriana

Ive many times when shuffling the deck for a question suddenly started to think about a particular card and very very often that card shows up in the reading. I think it must have happened 70-80 % of the time.
Then the issue of cause and effect comes up. Do I think about it because its supposed to come up and the energies fit and effects me, or do the card show up because I think about it??
Does it happen for you? I still do the reading with the card in it.
I think its fun when it happens.

Barleywine

I usually see this as significant, like I'm getting a visionary "flash" of the future that then emerges in the spread. It operates in the same way as jumpers, but I don't use jumpers because - at least in my case - they're just a testament to my sloppy shuffling. The premonition is kind of like a "stage-setter" that helps to convince me of the inherent validity of the reading.

I had an interesting case of this sort of thing last week: in offering a choice of decks to my sitter, I set out three decks with the Empress card showing (thanks, nisaba, for the idea a while back :)). When she chose the deck and did the shuffle-and-cut, the Empress showed up as the very first card, in the "heart of the matter" position. In trying to get my head around this, I mentioned that the Empress (due to its relation to the Hebrew letter Daleth - Door) can mean opening a channel - a figurative "birth canal" - to accept something new into her world. This turned out to be the key to the entire reading.

Tanga

I usually see this as significant, like I'm getting a visionary "flash" of the future that then emerges in the spread. It operates in the same way as jumpers, but I don't use jumpers because - at least in my case - they're just a testament to my sloppy shuffling. The premonition is kind of like a "stage-setter" that helps to convince me of the inherent validity of the reading...

Ditto this.
It happens to me about 50% of the time.

Achlys

I try not to think of any particular card when I'm doing readings because I find that it causes a bias in the reading.

Adriana

I usually see this as significant, like I'm getting a visionary "flash" of the future that then emerges in the spread. It operates in the same way as jumpers, but I don't use jumpers because - at least in my case - they're just a testament to my sloppy shuffling. The premonition is kind of like a "stage-setter" that helps to convince me of the inherent validity of the reading.

I had an interesting case of this sort of thing last week: in offering a choice of decks to my sitter, I set out three decks with the Empress card showing (thanks, nisaba, for the idea a while back :)). When she chose the deck and did the shuffle-and-cut, the Empress showed up as the very first card, in the "heart of the matter" position. In trying to get my head around this, I mentioned that the Empress (due to its relation to the Hebrew letter Daleth - Door) can mean opening a channel - a figurative "birth canal" - to accept something new into her world. This turned out to be the key to the entire reading.

This was interesting. I agree on the jumpers and my sloppyness, but in some cases in my case it can be a theme to them not related to the particular reading.
Never seen that method with the Empress card before.

I try not to think of any particular card when I'm doing readings because I find that it causes a bias in the reading.

Yeah, I try not to think about any cards at all either as it would cause bias, but what I refer to in this thread is when you suddenly get a visual image of one without trying.

Barleywine

Never seen that method with the Empress card before.

When I picked up the idea from nisaba, it wasn't the Empress card she was using, but the thought was to make the sitter's options as neutral as possible by showing the same card from all of the decks. I knew in advance that the sitter would be a woman, so I just picked the Empress on a hunch.

Ace

I sometimes am so very ahead of the reading, that happens to me: the card I get is the one that confirms what I am saying. You don't CAUSE the card to appear, you are thinking that card because it reflects the reality you see in your head. So the card you pull is the "right one." Not because you want it to be there but because I guess, it is "supposed" to be there.

IMHO.
barb

nisaba

Ive many times when shuffling the deck for a question suddenly started to think about a particular card and very very often that card shows up in the reading. I think it must have happened 70-80 % of the time.

I get much more of a jolt if I'm thinking that a particular card will turn up, and then something completely different does. That is always more memorable for me, possibly because it's so rare.

Barleywine

I get much more of a jolt if I'm thinking that a particular card will turn up, and then something completely different does. That is always more memorable for me, possibly because it's so rare.

When setting up to do a reading for someone else, I always make a concerted effort to clear my mind of any preconceptions about where the narrative will go. I use a simple, silent "mantra of peace" that neutralizes conscious activity at the verbal level. It's the querent's "subconscious induction" that I want influencing the cards, not mine.