For a new reader...

.traveller.

Would the Druidcraft (with it's book) along with 21 Ways To Read A Tarot Card be a suitable start for someone wanting to learn tarot? This person has no previous experience in reading the cards.

My other options are the Sharman-Caselli, and the Bright Idea Deck.

I also thought of offering the Morgan-Greer as well, but it might be too retro for the recipient. I've been looking to clear out some of my unused decks and my co-worker told me that she's always wanted to learn to read tarot.

I've already decided to give her my copy of Mary Greer's book, but I'm not sure what would be a good starter deck. It's been so long since I started reading, I have a hard time remembering what it's like to be brand new at it.

I'm fairly certain she won't care for the Bright Idea Deck, though I think it would be perfect for her.

rwcarter

I think the "perfect" deck for a new reader is the one to which she is drawn. Give her a choice of the 3 or 4 decks you're considering and see which one she chooses.

Rodney

Mellifluous

In my opinion, the artwork should suit her taste and personality. She needs to be drawn to the cards again and again over time despite obstacles and frustrations. So, I'd suggest thinking not so much about what's 'good for' a beginner but simply which deck she might like the most - which is personal.

(You're on the right track with ruling out any you know she won't like.)

.traveller.

I'd like to, but I commute to work by bus and that's alot to carry. She kind of wants to be surprised.

.traveller.

Mellifluous said:
In my opinion, the artwork should suit her taste and personality. She needs to be drawn to the cards again and again over time despite obstacles and frustrations. So, I'd suggest thinking not so much about what's 'good for' a beginner but simply which deck she might like the most - which is personal.

(You're on the right track with ruling out any you know she won't like.)

Yeah, that's why I am having trouble narrowing it down to a couple of decks. Her tastes and her personality have a bit of a disconnect. The B.I.Deck suits her personality, but not her tastes. I'm just looking to give her something from my collection that she can use, and then if tarot catches her interest I can direct her to where she can buy other decks if she desires.

rwcarter

Is it possible for you to point her to somewhere like Taroteca where she can see the whole decks online and make her choice that way instead of you having to schlep everything to her?

Grizabella

I think the Sharman Casselli deck would be a great starter deck along with 21 Ways. It's a very pretty deck, sticks quite close to Rider Waite imagery and it's easy to shuffle. That's the one that would get my vote. I think the Druidcraft might be a little too off the beaten path for a beginner unless she's really well-versed in Druidry.

Sever

It hasn't been too long since I was brand new at this ;) and if it were me, I'd pick Sharman Caselli, for the same reasons Grizabella stated. The Druidcraft doesn't strike me as being someone's very First deck. And you already said the Morgan Greer and Bright Idea won't suit her tastes.
If she catches the tarot bug, you can always direct her to places on the internet where she can see decks and pick the one who draws her in.

metal_romantic

My recommendation would also be for the Sharman-Caselli. This was made for beginners but still very nice to look at!

RiccardoLS

Have you considered a deck that clashes with her/his personality or interest, to be the best first deck?

---> translation: will this person look for a confort zone in Tarot, or for a challange?
---> adding confusion: the best first deck does create questions, it does not provide answers.