A card "slips" from the deck

Zephyros

Way I see it, shouting is impolite, even from a Tarot deck. If my deck has something to tell me, it can wait until I do my spread and am listening. I don't do anything with jumpers, never have.

Marcus R

If a bunch jump out I put them back, but if only one or two jump face up, I put them aside, lay the spread and then consider the jumpers in light of the spread itself. It's uncanny how relevant they can be considering how many other cards could mean nothing to the spread at all. There's no right or wrong way right?

esspeet

I'm not sure where I stand on this topic yet, but I've noticed quite often a card that jumps out while I'm shuffling ends up appearing again in the spread, which is pretty darn neat.. heh.

Lon Dubh

Thank you for having moved the post to the right forum! And thank you everybody for having provided your insights. When the jumping card appeared, I was doing a simple one card spread, just to cast some light on a situation... seldom does a card jump while I am shuffling. So, I accepted the advice the card gave me.
Best regards!

karlwb

I suppose I fit into the camp that feels that there is some sort of relevance to dropped or flipped cards. I usually set them aside and consider them "bonus" cards which may or may not have something to do with the general reading. However, I am now intrigued with maybe replacing the card and seeing if it comes up in the reading itself.

VioletEye

for me, it really depends; sometimes it's just that i'm shuffling clumsily, or the cards are a bit sticky, so i put it back into the deck and keep shuffling. but other times, a card jumps out in such a way that i take notice, and in those situations i'll usually set it aside and proceed with the spread as intended.

sometimes the kamikaze card just observes the reading, and seems to sort of keep me company. other times it seems relevant to the reading itself, and though it isn't part of the spread, the reading bounces off of it. and then sometimes, it has nothing to do with the reading itself, but is just a little message for my day...

as it does with reading, it comes down to intuition; if it feels relevant to you, then it is! :)

Barleywine

The card is usually saying "Pay attention, dolt! If you were more attentive to your shuffling this wouldn't happen!" Truthfully, though, if it came up again in the draw after further shuffling, I MIGHT (a big "might" :)) think it a bit more important. But then, because it was already chosen as one of a select few from among the entire deck, I already knew that! I suppose it would depend on which position it falls in when I lay out the spread.

skipbosco

I always pay attention to cards that pop out....jumpers, what a great term. Generally speaking, if a card jumps when I'm doing a reading for myself, I keep it...it goes into the spread....if a card jumps when I'm reading for someone else it depends, sometimes it clearly is telling something about the read and I take it as a reminder/guidance, sometimes it clearly wants to be in the spread so I let it stay down. Mostly I just don't think about it too much, I try to avoid developing dogma about my reading practices.