A Christian Perspective on Cartomancy

DesertDream

I found a Gaelic version and an English version of the hymn which I spliced together into one file, and also the direct translation into English from the Gaelic, which has its nuances.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A7-30GC using Tapatalk

I'm interested in the Gaelic to English version, If you would like please PM me the details, I'm curious about the nuances!

I would hate to take this thread off topic.

IHeartRescues

What a gorgeous hymn Be Thou My Vision

Thanks be for bringing this 8th C Irish hymn (that long ago? wow) back to my attention readerico :)

And the subject of this thread really caught my attention. I have bookmarked your blog tevang--ahem sorry. Looks like good food for some contemplation of nagging questions there! :)

I am wiping the tears back and playing all sorts of versions of this hymn this morning. I attended pentacostal services back in the 80s, but they never sang this hymn and they were hymn singers!

So in the early 90s a friend brought Van Morrison's Hymns to the Silence into my life, and this was the first time I had heard it. A gravelly (meaningful to me hehe) version!

PEACE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eko3NMxO5E

IHeartRescues

correction needed

I am sorry, I named readerico, instead of tevang as author of blog I bookmarked!

nisaba

I was wondering if there is anyone out there interested in a Christian perspective on Cartomancy.

Many of us are Christians, many aren't. I'm not sure that Tarot is about faith at all. Empirically, it works: it doesn't NEED faith, nor does it exclude it, Christian or otherwise.

nisaba

The Bible warns against fortune telling and witchcraft which really involves telling the future.

I'm not familiar with the precise text.

People cherry pick the verse "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live"
People also forget that they are reading an English text, translated from a Latin text, translated from a Greek text, translated from a Hebrew text, translated from an Aramaic text. The Aramaic text itself may or may not have been written by God, but all of those four processes of translation were definitely done by humans, some of them translating from languages that they weren't completely fluent in, or that had words and concepts they found hard to translate. In one of the earlier translations "suffer ... to live" was rendered by something slightly closer to "tolerate". And "witch" in one of the mid-translations (I can't remember which) was replacing a word meaning "a powerful or bitchy woman", which was itself replacing the Aramaic original word representing a female murderer. This fits in nicely with "an eye for an eye", and merely counsels you not to go leniently on a murderer just because she happens to wear a dress and have a seductive smile.

Zephyros

The Bible isn't the most coherent of texts; it was written over a long time by many different authors. Much of what is attributed to certain people may not have been written by them at all. As such, there are many different stories with sometimes conflicting messages. For example, before the battle of Endor (not the one with the Death Star) Saul went to see a seer, in order to consult with the dead Samuel. Saul was punished for this because he was deliberately barred from the Lord's graces. The witch, however, was not, there is no mention of her after this.

The famous verse "thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" is unclear. Firstly, in the original Hebrew it refers specifically to witches, female ones, an anomaly. Secondly, it makes no sense in the context because the verses before it deal with the legal implications of sleeping with virgins and the one after it forbids bestiality. Hardly the place to deal with witchcraft.

There's also precedent for personal worship. Samuel's mother very much wanted a son and when she went to the temple to pray for one she did it in silence. The priests thought her crazy but didn't stop her. I would think Tarot falls into this last category. If someone believes then the messages of Tarot can only come from what they believe in. If someone is a Christian then all things stem from that.

earthshine

I am speaking here of the Rider-Waite deck. A lot of its imagery to me share or are congruent with Christian mythology. There's Adam and Eve, angels, the tree of life and the tree of knowledge, there's the devil, the winged creatures in The World and The Wheel of Fortune cards. It's almost as if that deck and the Bible gave each other silent nods.

IHeartRescues, thanks for posting the Van Morrison version of the hymn. :) And I love that in the description there's a long prayer-poem. That goes right into my Tarot journal!

IHeartRescues

That IS a long prayer readerico!

I actually had not yet scrolled down to see it. Sometimes if I wish to pray though, I will use a meaningful song like the one discussed bc it's easy to remember and puts my heart and mind in a contemplative mode. I am glad you enjoyed the video :) It also includes a verse some of the others leave out.

Peace be w you
IHR

Tanga

I am speaking here of the Rider-Waite deck. A lot of its imagery to me share or are congruent with Christian mythology. There's Adam and Eve, angels, the tree of life and the tree of knowledge, there's the devil, the winged creatures in The World and The Wheel of Fortune cards. It's almost as if that deck and the Bible gave each other silent nods.

You did mention the text and it's meaning to you in relation to your post - so people are just adding their penny's worth on what they know about the history of it. :) :)

Yes - RWS does have Jewish/Christian imagery in it. There's no argument on that.
And lots of older decks too as Tarot was born into a Christian world. One would have to get into the the whys and wherefores of the Golden Dawn (which was not Christian), plus A.E.Waite and Pamela's perspectives, on why she leaned her renditions in this way (she being the painter of the RWS deck - directed by A.E.Waite in the early 1900's).
I know little of the history - but there is a whole AT section here on RWS.

Re: PEACE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eko3NMxO5E
I hate this version. Lol.

I suspect I'd prefer an Irish/Gaelic choral version. ...something more formal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2TdICpow18
:) :)

(Amen to the sentiment expressed. I'll be "Be Thouing" my personal vision of the divine).