A curious experiment....

rabidwolfie

I already have, actually. My Favole is almost the exact opposite of my usual decks. There are very few animals, the minors are not elaboratly illustrated but pip cards, it's very dark, & full of people. I tend to be drawn to animals & fantasy. It's become my favorite deck of all my odd collection. Very few of my decks have been purchases I come to regret. Wolfsong was one. If given the oppertunity, I don't know if I would buy that deck again. I thought I would love it, but while the pictures were lovely, it refused to speak to me. I will not have the silent treatment from any of my decks. So I gave it away.

Cerulean

I really think this is a good idea and might...

...'secretly' participate.

I saw a local university museum art show where they did a retrospective of 1960's art and found Robert Indiana's work very intriguing...he was the artist who conceived of using letters spelling "Love" and doing art where the personal associations with numbers 0-9 were represented in his work. It reminded me of the curious and perhaps almost pop art touch to the Gill Tarot...the deck has the nice shape and size and very clear art...never been my first choice though.

I'd like to hear about the experiments...and maybe if the Gill works out, see if I can post something interesting as well...

Thanks for the idea! I know it would be hard for me to do the IDS three-to-six-month exercises, but this one might work for me...it will be fun to read and hear about what people do.

Cerulean

Aerin

This could be the excuse to get the Liber T....

I know I don't want the Thoth again, but have occassionally wondered about this deck. I'm not into esoteric symbolism in a big way, and ceremonial
magic(k) turns me off.

So maybe I should join with the Liber T....

Aerin

Cerulean

Oh Aerin if you do, Corinne Kenner's book has pictures...

...and does an observational art commentary on the Liber T, Llewellyn and I believe the Roberto di Angeles "Universal Waite" (the name might be a little off)...

That's such a cool choice!

Cerulean

Aerin

Cerulean said:
...and does an observational art commentary on the Liber T, Llewellyn and I believe the Roberto di Angeles "Universal Waite" (the name might be a little off)...

That's such a cool choice!

Cerulean

Well, I've gone ahead and ordered the deck. So we'll see what happens....

Aerin

ps which of her books??!!! http://www.corrinekenner.com/books.htm

Emily

It's her new book 'Simple fortunetelling with tarot cards' - its very good, I mainly bought it because its illustrated with the Liber T and was very pleased to find that she had used the Queen/Queen, Knight/King, Princess/Page, Prince/Knight - other RWS/Thoth comparison books I've read confuse the Knight and Prince up and it gets very complicated. :)

Grizabella

I haven't ever been interested in the Connolly deck. But I was at a St. Vincent de Paul awhile back and saw it there for $5 so I picked it up, thinking it would be a good one to put into my drawer of decks to use with students. I didn't really pay much attention to it except to count the cards to see that they were all there.

Last night I took it out and started really looking through it and discovered it's actually a very beautiful deck. I love the brilliant colors. I found that the differences in some of the illustrations is a nice prompt to my intuition, giving some new insight on the cards. I'm going to use it for awhile to see how it goes. I think it's unfortunate that I don't see it mentioned more here. In doing a search using thread titles, I only found three threads devoted to this deck.

shadowdancer

I agree. It has its fair share of criticismg but it is not a bad deck. I have the full size and mini size (the mini being out of print).

Maybe not one which people would instinctively reach for in a reading, but I think it is worth trying out to see how you get on with it. Especially if it was somewhat of a bargain purchase

Davina

Queen of Disks

I think I have identified the LAST deck I would normaly go for. What is it?

Drumroll please....

The Quest. :eek:

Why? Well, it's really, really obviously computer generated, which has always bugged me. (I have ranted about computer generated decks elsewhere on these forms, I know.) I looked at the card images online, and it looks really off the wall. And it has keywords, which also bug me (unless they're on the Thoth, because they're supposed to be there.) And it has the Thothish semi-illustrated pips, which may or may not make it harder for me to read.

Hmmm. I dunno. I might participate in this experiment as well.

Dare I?

(The Connolly looks very nice as well.)

Alamaris

Interesting challenge! If I wasn't lightly studying Aleister Crowley's works (and the Thoth, of course) I'd join in right away.

It got me thinking, anyways. Maybe I'll have to go through Aeclectic's decks and find the one I hate the most...then buy it. }) In the meantime, I guess I'll pull out the *mild shudder* Vanessa Tarot and see what I can do with it.