What do you consider "near future"

Desert Girl

I'm still fairly new to reading and I've noticed a number of spreads have a "near future" position, but I'm not sure exactly what near future is. I was wondering how others read it. I'm inclined to say it's the outlook for the next few weeks, possibly up to a few months.

Rachx

What do you consider "near future"

For me it depends on the reading, the spread and the cards! Sorry that doesn't help does it? But as an example if you are using a card to show past then the future is the same amount of time as the past. It tends to balance. So, say you get three swords in "past" and you know that the sitter split from her BF three weeks ago then you may see the near future as three weeks time. Also you can ask the cards to show ranges like next few weeks or next few months or within next year and so on...It is not set in stone because we have free will to change outcomes and also as timing is so hard in Tarot but that's as near as I can get it anyway. X

Barleywine

Since I generally consider a Celtic Cross (which has the "near future" position) to be reliable for around 3-6 months (and not simply because I'm after repeat business :D), near future to me is days-to-weeks, seldom more than a month in most cases. But timing in tarot is always fluid and situational in nature. A "near future" card in the suit of Wands could be seen to represent a shorter span than one of Pentacles.

Desert Girl

For me it depends on the reading, the spread and the cards! Sorry that doesn't help does it? But as an example if you are using a card to show past then the future is the same amount of time as the past. It tends to balance. So, say you get three swords in "past" and you know that the sitter split from her BF three weeks ago then you may see the near future as three weeks time. Also you can ask the cards to show ranges like next few weeks or next few months or within next year and so on...It is not set in stone because we have free will to change outcomes and also as timing is so hard in Tarot but that's as near as I can get it anyway. X

OK, that makes sense for timing splitting on past/future. I'll give that a try and see if it works for me. I actually did a one-card reading about something this morning as someone's actions in the near future, and then realized I did not even define near future or what it meant...

I've tried a few timing methods, and I've found what has worked best for me so far is using the astrological associations. And in fact, after I did my single card reading this morning, I pulled a timing card to clarify and got 9 of Swords - June 1-10 (about 6 weeks from now). I'm interested to see if this ends up lining up.

Desert Girl

Since I generally consider a Celtic Cross (which has the "near future" position) to be reliable for around 3-6 months (and not simply because I'm after repeat business :D), near future to me is days-to-weeks, seldom more than a month in most cases. But timing in tarot is always fluid and situational in nature. A "near future" card in the suit of Wands could be seen to represent a shorter span than one of Pentacles.

This is consistent with what I've seen other readers say about timing on a Celtic Cross and looks to be on track with what I was thinking for near future position. Good advice on using the suits to help estimate too. I rarely do Celtic Cross at this point. I feel way too inexperienced and overwhelmed, so I tend to do smaller spreads. :)

Adriana

This is my experience with the Celtic cross near future as well, it's usually been days or max 2 weeks. But it depends on the issue as well but that's what it's usually been for me.

Desert Girl

This is my experience with the Celtic cross near future as well, it's usually been days or max 2 weeks. But it depends on the issue as well but that's what it's usually been for me.

Interesting, this is even faster than I had thought. Will see if it plays out that way for me!

nisaba

I'm still fairly new to reading and I've noticed a number of spreads have a "near future" position, but I'm not sure exactly what near future is. I was wondering how others read it. I'm inclined to say it's the outlook for the next few weeks, possibly up to a few months.

At least. Months can pass like *that* <snaps fingers>.

Some of my clients have thought I was "wrong" when stuff I didn't talk about didn't happen in a few weeks, only to ring me a couple of years later to tell me how right I was ...

Desert Girl

At least. Months can pass like *that* <snaps fingers>.

Some of my clients have thought I was "wrong" when stuff I didn't talk about didn't happen in a few weeks, only to ring me a couple of years later to tell me how right I was ...

That's actually pretty amazing - I'm glad that they followed up with you later! I don't think patience is human nature, especially when we have fear of the unknown. I'd prefer a timeline of weeks, of course! LOL