Illuminated Tarot

Onaorkal

Oh wow! It's a truly beautiful deck of cards!

I really wonder how it could be considered a tarot though? I would need to look at multiple cards to see which cards got their inspiration from which tarot cards, but some would obviously be missing anyway!

I really want it now haha, I don't know if I would use it as an oracle or with playing cards meaning...I vote for the former since the images are too interesting to be ignored!

Thank you for sharing this Barleywine :)

DDwarks

From what Ive read from a review on Amazon UK it is a tarot.
The Knights have been axed so court cards are only Pages Queens and Kings.

The "missing" cards have been paired with other cards, Majors or minors- and is evident in the art itself.

An example given is Strength being the Ace of Wands also. The imagery is a Lion holding a single wand in its mouth.

Looks like an interesting deck!

Melia

It's essentially a playing cards deck. Nicely done, and also very inexpensive.

Onaorkal

From what Ive read from a review on Amazon UK it is a tarot.
The Knights have been axed so court cards are only Pages Queens and Kings.

The "missing" cards have been paired with other cards, Majors or minors- and is evident in the art itself.

An example given is Strength being the Ace of Wands also. The imagery is a Lion holding a single wand in its mouth.

Looks like an interesting deck!

At first I was scared of enabling myself too much by looking deeper into it but I did anyway. You're right, it's really like a 'condensed' tarot. I don't know what I think of that mmh...
I really love the art, but after seeing all the cards I find it a bit too based on the RWS. I would have loved an oracle in a playing card game format, using some tarot inspiration/archetypes.

Ah well at least now I don't have the urge to buy it as much! Which is a good thing considering that I randomly saw it at a local hardware/home decor story (weird I know).

Dogs&Coffee

I did a quick review for this deck here: https://youtu.be/qW0ZY9Ggzlc

I find that while individual meanings are RWS, they're not in order, and some are flat out ??? i.e. 7 of clubs (wands). Definitely a mish mash, and it's a bit confusing.

It's an odd but quirky little deck...

G6

Oops wrong thread!

Pixna

I just ordered this deck (it should be arriving tomorrow). I actually find the "condensed" tarot approach intriguing, especially since it's theorized that tarot evolved from a standard playing card deck (which, from what I've read, contributed to the designer's intention for this deck). There are certainly a number of pips that overlap with the majors in terms of meaning, so seeing how the author integrated those (regardless of them being out of the traditional order) along with the conventional interpretations and numerology is exciting.

I like larger decks (even though I have petite hands), and the finish and feel of the cards sound (from reviews) like something I'll enjoy too. I normally don't go for decks that are too "sweet" or cloying in terms of the artwork, but the designs and colors of this one look quite appealing.

The box looks gorgeous and sturdy (and the price can't be beat!). I'll post my impressions once I have the deck in hand and can play around with it a bit. If anyone wants to start a study group for it, count me in!

SixDegrees

I just received my copy yesterday and had a chance to look through it. Some of the "fusions" of major and minor cards are quite sensible (The Lovers with the Six of Cups/Hearts) or clever (The Chariot with the Seven of Swords/Spades). Others take more time to see the connection (Death with the Four of Pentacles/Diamonds), and some still baffle me (The High Priestess with the Two of Pentacles/Diamonds).

Overall, an intriguing little pack.

Pixna

Mine just arrived -- woo-hoo! The packaging/box and the LWB (which is actually quite colorful) are beautiful and the cards are gorgeous. I love the weight, texture, size, and finish of the cards. I know a lot of readers prefer something smooth and glossy, but I quite adore the plastic-like linen finish on these, as I think they'll stay clean and won't show fingerprints.

I adore that many of the cards are like playing cards in that they can be reversed identically. As with any deck, some images are more appealing than others, but I'm definitely intrigued by the folding in of the majors into the pips, and I think I'll quite enjoy this deck for its originality.

The size might seem big, but since there are only 53 cards, it's incredibly manageable (and I have very small hands). I prefer over/under shuffling, and once I got some of the cards a bit less stuck to each other and shuffled for a while, the deck became easier and easier to work with. Although the cards may seem stiff at first (something I personally like), they will soften up with use so that readers who prefer more flexibility in their cards will find them suitable.

I'll have to work with it a while to see how it goes with the integration of Majors/Minors, but my first draw for the day was amazing spot on! Right now, I'm totally loving this deck. If you like to be challenged and appreciate original takes on the tarot, I'd highly recommend it.