Help with Kipper Reading

LisaStarlight

Hi everyone, I'm new to Kipper and picked them up yesterday to do a reading around a house move.

I find them similar to Lenormand in that they're very upfront and no-nonsense, but they are different in that they feel less complicated to read. Having said that, I have nothing other than the LWB to help with interpreting, so it's possible that I'm reading the cards in a way that's not quite correct.

Qu. What is the most important thing to know about our decision to move?
Good Gentleman / Marriage Card / Bereavement

I interpreted this as the loss of a relationship with an older, helpful man. o_0 (Not quite sure who that person would be.)

Qu. What is the most likely outcome for our family's wellbeing should we move?
Hope, Big Water

Which is a positive card, in general terms. So that bodes well! (The LWB did say that it can also mean illusions and big dreams that remain just that.)

Qu. Where is the best place to look for a house that supports our family on every level?
Marriage card - I looked at the picture closely, and outside the window behind the couple was an ocean view. So I take that to mean, somewhere near the coast. :)

Qu. What is the most likely outcome for our family if we stay where we are? (That is, we don't move.)
Material increase

This one threw me for a moment, until I looked at the picture and saw that it was about people gambling. Staying could be a bit like gambling - you win some, you lose some. So not exactly very stable in terms of security or finances, more riding the ups and downs that will come.

I'd appreciate any feedback on my interpretations as this is probably the best way I can learn how to interpret the cards. Do any of my interpretations need tweaking? Should I use more than one card for answers? Some of the cards have alternative meanings, so that makes interpreting them more difficult.

Thank you!

DownUnderNZer

Nothing wrong with reading it like you do if just learning and as far a I know there is not really a lot out there in English although maybe that has changed. No idea. I am not that savvy with them either.

Just going to look at two. I do not have the deck with me right now or the booklet, so will try my best.

Qu. What is the most important thing to know about our decision to move?

Good Gentleman / Marriage Card / Bereavement

There could be a male out there that has your best interests at heart (partner/family/friend) or it could very well be someone looking out for something on your behalf as well as as a good listening ear when you need it.

I feel the most "important" thing to know is that what might look like a "successful prospect" or even the "decision to move" itself (marriage) might not be the "right choice" (bereavement). A lot more to it than just doing it.

Qu. What is the most likely outcome for our family's well being should we move?

Hope, Big Water

I think "Hope" is quite straight forward, but as for "Big Water" that could mean a few things only I cannot recall what it means off the top of my head. Going with what I think I remember and intuition. I do feel with this card (from memory) that it creates a physical distance between places with lots of water and is like a dream or fantasy if one is not careful.

So, keep your head on your shoulders and try not to jump into something or to be hasty as it may cause a "division" within your family and/or not be quite what you "dreamed" of as the ideal place. However, it could also give you the space you need if you are looking at getting away from certain things like the city, people, and/or need for change etc.

I'd appreciate any feedback on my interpretations as this is probably the best way I can learn how to interpret the cards. Do any of my interpretations need tweaking? Should I use more than one card for answers? Some of the cards have alternative meanings, so that makes interpreting them more difficult.

Hope that helps a bit.....

DND :)

Joon

One thing to remember with the Kippers is that the people cards, with the exception of the main characters (1 and 2), have meanings beside their function as people. The Good Gent (5) as a person is someone older, maybe family, maybe patron or mentor, etc; or the card could represent support, stability, (self-)confidence... things that are "Good Gentleman-like."

I like the outcome questions as Kipper questions. Without more context (i.e., larger spread) though, it is hard to know how to read a card. Hope/Great Water http://www.tarotforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=63could as you say be illusion => maybe you find you were expecting too much from the move. Or it could be a more positive indicator, like the move will broaden your horizons in some way.

I think your Material Increase is Win Lots of Money in the Traditional cards? Toni Puhle explains that the core meaning of this card is a sudden change, usually for the better. I would read that Q and A as saying that if you stay where you are there will be a change that will impact the family to a similar degree as the move would do.

Like Lenormand, though, single cards leave room for a lot of ambiguity. :)

ETA: And in one of those blinding flashes, I woke up this morning to realize yesterday's mistake: I confused 11 Win Lots of Money with 27 Unhoped for/Unexpected Money. 11 should read abundance, increase, gain. [It is 27 that means the sudden change/turnaround.]

So for the question about staying rather than moving, take my delineation of change out of there. :) We are still looking at a positive outcome, even improvement, if you stay put.

Apologies for my confusion!

Village Witch

I read Kipper as with Lenormand in that no card stands alone.

I did enjoy your interpretations, LisaStarlight, about the details in the backgrounds of the cards. I have never read in that much detail. Something new for me to explore.

I am new to Kipper too.

LisaStarlight

Just going to look at two. I do not have the deck with me right now or the booklet, so will try my best.

Thank you! I really appreciate your help. :)

There could be a male out there that has your best interests at heart (partner/family/friend) or it could very well be someone looking out for something on your behalf as well as as a good listening ear when you need it.

I feel the most "important" thing to know is that what might look like a "successful prospect" or even the "decision to move" itself (marriage) might not be the "right choice" (bereavement). A lot more to it than just doing it.

Ahhhhh. Ok. I see how the cards could mean this, esp as I can't think of an older gentleman off-hand. And the fact that Bereavement is the last card does suggest that the move would not be all roses and rainbows...

I think "Hope" is quite straight forward, but as for "Big Water" that could mean a few things only I cannot recall what it means off the top of my head. Going with what I think I remember and intuition. I do feel with this card (from memory) that it creates a physical distance between places with lots of water and is like a dream or fantasy if one is not careful.

Hope, Big Water is actually one card, and the two meanings come into play with the two descriptors, I suspect. That's probably why the LWB says it means hopeful things in general, but could also mean pipe dreams, or illusions, or fantasies.

So, keep your head on your shoulders and try not to jump into something or to be hasty as it may cause a "division" within your family and/or not be quite what you "dreamed" of as the ideal place. However, it could also give you the space you need if you are looking at getting away from certain things like the city, people, and/or need for change etc.

I see how, when you take into account the other cards, this interpretation of Hope, Big Water comes into play. This makes a lot of sense.

Hope that helps a bit.....

Very much! It's great to be able to see how else to interpret the cards. And I've also learned that one card on its own is not really enough to get a clear message. Lesson Learned!!

LisaStarlight

One thing to remember with the Kippers is that the people cards, with the exception of the main characters (1 and 2), have meanings beside their function as people.

Oh! I didn't realise that!! Thank you for letting me know. That opens up how to interpret the card heaps!!

The Good Gent (5) as a person is someone older, maybe family, maybe patron or mentor, etc; or the card could represent support, stability, (self-)confidence... things that are "Good Gentleman-like."

I wasn't able to think of anyone off-hand who would be concerned in this situation, but the idea of support and stability makes a lot of sense in this context.

I like the outcome questions as Kipper questions. Without more context (i.e., larger spread) though, it is hard to know how to read a card. Hope/Great Water could as you say be illusion => maybe you find you were expecting too much from the move. Or it could be a more positive indicator, like the move will broaden your horizons in some way.

Yeah, it's a bit ambiguous. I have very definitely learned the lesson to draw more than one card when reading with the Kipper. :)

I think your Material Increase is Win Lots of Money in the Traditional cards?

Yes, I believe it is. Card 11.

Toni Puhle explains that the core meaning of this card is a sudden change, usually for the better. I would read that Q and A as saying that if you stay where you are there will be a change that will impact the family to a similar degree as the move would do.

Yes, I'm seeing that very clearly! As well as learning a bit more about the card meanings, I'm also learning that, like Lenormand, it's the combinations that make the message clearer. Single cards can have more than one meaning.

Thank you so much for your help. Much appreciated!

LisaStarlight

I read Kipper as with Lenormand in that no card stands alone.

Very true! I'm seeing that very clearly with this reading. It's a good lesson to learn. I won't be pulling single cards any more. :)

I did enjoy your interpretations, LisaStarlight, about the details in the backgrounds of the cards. I have never read in that much detail. Something new for me to explore.

I am new to Kipper too.

I really like the deck I have, it's the Mystical Kipper by Regula Elizabeth Fiechter. Beautiful images and bright colours which always help when I'm using a new system for the first time. :)

I was a bit stumped with the Marriage card turning up when I was looking for a location, so that's why I went searching about for clues in the image itself. I know with Lenormand this is frowned upon as Lenormand is about what the cards mean and not about intuiting a meaning from the imagery... In this case, though, there was very little else to fall back on. Yet again a lesson to me in why I need more than one card to see what the answer is.

Thanks for your input, Village Witch. :)

Joon

If you're jumping in past the posts you've already read in this thread, please see my correction (about cards 11 and 27) to my previous post.

::red face::

LisaStarlight

ETA: And in one of those blinding flashes, I woke up this morning to realize yesterday's mistake: I confused 11 Win Lots of Money with 27 Unhoped for/Unexpected Money. 11 should read abundance, increase, gain. [It is 27 that means the sudden change/turnaround.]

So for the question about staying rather than moving, take my delineation of change out of there. :) We are still looking at a positive outcome, even improvement, if you stay put.

Apologies for my confusion!

Thank you, Joon! Yeah, some of the cards have similar names, but different meanings. The name on my card is different (Material Increase) but it's very clear as to what it means. I suppose I should run with the card name and not the image... Perhaps it means that the increase is coming from an unexpected source, something other than a salary.

Thanks for coming back to clarify that. :)

LisaStarlight

When I put the different messages together from each question (even though I've drawn only one card at times) and add in the additional comments from those who responded, it seems pretty clear that staying is a better option in the long run. The move might turn out to be more a dream without foundation.

Something to think about!

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and experience with me. :)