Universal TdM (Lo Scarabeo) and other opinions?

feynrir

Hi TdM-loving folks. :)

I have a couple of decks with unillustrated pips in the TdM tradition, and a couple more with "moody pips" (not quite TdM tradition). I'm really looking to get more traditional TdM style decks, and the most affordable and available option seems to be the Universal TdM from Lo Scarabeo.

Any TdM-savvy opinions on this one? Is it comparable to the simplistic beauty of decks like the Soprafino or the Fournier? Have you connected with it well? Experiences with it? Etc? :D

If you don't recommend it, I'd like to hear why you like a different Tarot de Marseille deck (Chosson, Fournier, ISIS, etc) better.

Thank you in advance!

P.S. - I think hands down that the ISIS is the most appealing TdM deck I've seen, but it's just too far out of my price range at 60 USD-ish (I believe).

Metafizzypop

I have this deck. I can't complain. I rather like the water-colour backgrounds on the cards. I prefer some of the other TdM decks that you mentioned, but they do cost more and are harder to find. The Universal from LS is readily available, and the price is right. It also comes with an excellent LWB from Lee Bursten, who really knows how to read a tarot card. The deck might be worth it just for that. There's also a kit version, where the deck comes with a regular book.

Richard

ISIS - Exquisite! If you feel attracted to the ISIS, you will get it eventually. Why not now? I think it is the most beautiful Tarot deck in the world and well worth the price.

Grimaud - Historically important for stimulating interest in the TdM.

CBD - An excellent rendering of the Conver, very similar to the Grimaud except for the coloring.

Tarot de Marseille Edition Millennium - A majors-only deck based largely on the Pierre Madenié, destined to be a full deck some day. It is my most used deck since I got it a few months ago.

feynrir

Oh wow! Thank you both for your thorough opinions :D This really helps.

LRichard, is the Isis-Osiris site the only place to buy the ISIS deck? You've kind of enabled me :D Just wondering about how good the site is with importing, shipping speed, etc. The review on AT glows about this but I just want to hear yet another opinion :)

shaveling

I'm not crazy about this deck, but for the same reasons I don't have the ISIS: I vastly prefer the flat stenciled woodcut look of other decks to the shaded art of the ISIS, Fournier TdM, and Universal. I do have the Universal and the Fournier, though, and occasionally pull them out.

But I definitely am crazy about Burdel's artwork. I love the hilted swords, the fleurs de lys on the coins, the left-handed Ace of Swords, and the staves that look rounded instead of flat. I even like the Ace of Cups that looks like an old-fashioned fire screen. Lo Scarabo publishes an edition with the white background and flat colors that I prefer. It's my favorite deck. But if you like the ISIS, you may prefer the Universal.

Richard

Oh wow! Thank you both for your thorough opinions :D This really helps.

LRichard, is the Isis-Osiris site the only place to buy the ISIS deck? You've kind of enabled me :D Just wondering about how good the site is with importing, shipping speed, etc. The review on AT glows about this but I just want to hear yet another opinion :)
I ordered it from the site using PayPal. https://www.isis-osiris.com/english/shop.html It was $35 USD plus $10 USD shipping. Mr. Onuma personally handled the order and shipped it very quickly.

Abrac

If you really want the ISIS I'd say save your money and get it. I think you might be disappointed with the Universal TdM. It's an okay deck, the coloring resembles the Fournier, but it's only okay, imo.

Yves Le Marseillais

Looking for original decks ?

If you really want the ISIS I'd say save your money and get it. I think you might be disappointed with the Universal TdM. It's an okay deck, the coloring resembles the Fournier, but it's only okay, imo.

Hello all,

Yes ISIS deck is very nice on an artistic view.

Regarding Universal TdM if you wish to see his original source, I informs you that by Mid 2015 I will publish a very good sourced facsimile of Claude BURDEL 1751 deck.
It may please you: All depend what you expect from a Tarot deck.

Happy End of Year to all of you and let's go to 2015 ;))

Regards,

Yves

feynrir

I ordered it from the site using PayPal. https://www.isis-osiris.com/english/shop.html It was $35 USD plus $10 USD shipping. Mr. Onuma personally handled the order and shipped it very quickly.

You both were nothing but correct. I bought both the Universal and the ISIS with spare holiday money and alas, I am completely in love with the ISIS. I mean absolutely, head over HEELS in love with the ISIS! :love: :love: In fact, I just ordered a spare Major Arcana only set today. (I enjoy reading with solely the Major Arcana of many of my favorite decks quite often.) This will be a deck I'm likely to wear out!

The Universal is also quite pretty and charming with its lovely backgrounds and rougher details, but it's going to be more of a workhorse deck for me. Love the way it shuffles so smoothly, like a Lo Scarabeo deck is wont to do! Thank you again :)

Hello all,

Yes ISIS deck is very nice on an artistic view.

Regarding Universal TdM if you wish to see his original source, I informs you that by Mid 2015 I will publish a very good sourced facsimile of Claude BURDEL 1751 deck.
It may please you: All depend what you expect from a Tarot deck.

Happy End of Year to all of you and let's go to 2015 ;))

Regards,

Yves

Hi Yves!

I am awaiting the release of your Burdel deck as well, it looks so so lovely! Been following the progress on your Facebook page for a bit. ;)

I hope the remainder of time until its release goes smoothly for you!

Richard

feynrir, I am so glad you have had a good experience with the ISIS! :)