4 of swords as fears?

Forest_Floor

What could the 4 of swords mean as fears? (It was in a relationship reading) Someone who is afraid of being forgotten maybe? It's sort of tricky to understand this one

Barleywine

With an upright but ambivalent card in a negative position, you might look to the reversed meaning. Possibly being overly cautious or not forthright enough is one way to read it. The 4 of Swords as fears could show that one partner finds the other to be excessively inert or self-contained.

tapasr_57772aeb7

Mental recovery and recuperation is the way I general view it.

headincloud

Self protection.

MadeiraDarling

Maybe a sort of fear of being still, restlessness. It sort of makes me think of the Aimee Mann song "Oh For The Sake Of Momentum"

KnightOfTheCosmos

My immediate thought was someone who is afraid of stagnation or a restful period. They may take that lull in activity the wrong way so maybe they're someone who constantly has to be active in a relationship.

Sharla

Would also depend on the rest of the cards, but as a fear in a r'ship Q id probably see this as being afraid to rock the boat, so to speak.

So this person may be inclined to run away from stressful situations and be in denial about them, as they don't like stress. They prefer calm situations.

tarawyn

In relationship readings, the Four of Swords often represents a separation - so one may have fears that their partner is withdrawing and their relationship is heading for a break-up.

Thirteen

In relationship readings, the Four of Swords often represents a separation - so one may have fears that their partner is withdrawing and their relationship is heading for a break-up.
That's a really astute interpretation.

I imagine another possiblity (on the other side of that separation) might be "fear of being alone with one's thoughts." Sometimes we'd rather be busy or just with others so as to avoid reflecting on our situation, our lives, etc.

Barleywine

This card can be really telling in the "hopes and fears" area. I did a reading a while ago for a man who had just started a career in a good local company, but he was already anxious about his choice and wanted to look out a year ahead to see whether he might be well-situated to make a change.

The 4 of Swords came up in the position that I call "hopes" rather than "hopes and fears" (I use Eden Gray's model, which places "fears" in the 7th position).

It seemed like a rather colorless thing to hope for, but I decided that what he was looking for at that particular time was "peace of mind."