The Mediator #1: Shadowland

dolphingirl

I am reading one of my favorite series of books called the Mediator about a 16 year old girl that can see, and talk to ghosts and helps them move on to where they are supposed to go (whether they want to or not sometimes) while she trys to live a life that is as normal as possible. lol

In the second book of the series she gets a tarot reading and the reader is confused because the 9th Key card (Hermit) comes up all the time and the reader doesn't know why and doesn't know about the girl being a mediator. Soooooo anyway, if you wanted to pick a tarot card to show a person as being able to talk to the dead and do what this girl does would you pick the Hermit card or another card out of a tarot deck to represent what she is?

Here is info on the first book in the series
The Mediator #1: Shadowland (Mediator)
by Meg Cabot ISBN: 0060725117

Sophie-David

Hi DolphinGirl

Hmm, took a while for this thread to get picked up! I would have instinctively thought of the High Priestess in this role, but here's Mary Greer from The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals, page 64, the Hermit Reversed:
From a shamanic or magical perspective, the Hermit Rx is the alchemist, hermeticist, occult scholar, or owner of a metaphysical bookstore. He is the psychopomps, or guide of souls. However, both Waite and Crowley acknowledge this figure as the hidden Persephone, queen of Hades, who, in winter, leads souls into the underworld, and, in spring, leads them into rebirth.
It would seem that the author hit exactly the right archetype: one who not only communicates with souls but leads them to their destination.

Blessings
David