For ANY spread--No Cups come up for a love question??

starrystarrynight

I know I've seen it addressed here before, but I simply can't locate the thread.

I recently did a spread for someone with a relationship question. No doubt that the spread was addressing this question--it talked about expectations vs. realities, etc. However, not a single Cup came up.

I know someone has mentioned this happening to them before. But what is your take on a spread (and this was a big 20-card Double CC spread) where not a single Cup card comes up to answer an emotions question?

Crystelle

You might get a better response in "your readings"
It'd be helpful to see what there was a majority of ... what is overbearing and possibly pushing out the cups? Is it pentacles; all work and no play. Is it wands; personally signifying passion but no depth to me. Swords?; intellectual match but you need a good basis and some passion in there for the cups to come later in that case....

<cringe> trying to help, hope I haven't confused things more...
Crystelle

Alta

I moved this from Spreads to Using tarot Cards as you wanted to discuss a particular card.
Marion

Alta

starrystarrynight said:
But what is your take on a spread (and this was a big 20-card Double CC spread) where not a single Cup card comes up to answer an emotions question?
I would think it was because emotions are not in fact the biggest issue involved. If the predominant cards was wands, could be sex with little emotion, or pents could be based on financial concerns etc. But the main thing is, the emotional veneer may be masking what is really happening in the relationship.
Marion

Free Flight

Hi starrystarrynight

In a 20 card spread we would definitely expect to see some cups...where there more of any other suits in this spread? As Crystelle said wands would indicate passion and I would think a more short lived affair.On the other hand pentacles would indicate taking it slowly and laying down foundations which could mean that cups would appear in future spreads.

Where there any cards in the majors that indicated love ? this could potentially counterbalance the lack of cups...

just some thoughts here

starrystarrynight

[Thanks for moving this, Marion--I apologize for putting it in the wrong place in the first place!]

About this spread--wands, swords and disks were pretty evenly matched and scattered. There were 6 trumps altogether out of the 20 cards--none particularly "loving" so to speak (I think the Hanged Man, Fortune, the Tower, Judgement, etc...).

I just thought it odd...and I remember someone saying something about in a case like this that the void suit would lead the querent out of his dilemma...or something like that. I guess that is what I'm trying to raise here--exactly what was said and meant by it.

I remember being struck by the idea when I read it and tucking it away for further contemplation...but now I can't for the life of me remember what was said. I was just hoping someone would remember for me...[senior (well, almost) moment here...sigh]

caridwen

Interesting. What were the majority of cards?

WalesWoman

Something similar has come up for some spreads a friend and I have done... so perhaps it's early days... maybe all the other elements are there and need to be developed, before cups manifest themselves as love. That is a possibility.

There could be passion, desire, good communication and physical attraction, but to be come real love would take time, trust and nurturing it.

catlin

Hi starrystarrynight,
Guess in this relation emotion does not play a great part, seems to be a relationship based more on practical matters, it has a very businesslike approach with all the wands, pents and swords in it.

starrystarrynight

Yes! All valid points about this relationship, I think. Thanks!

I thought along the same lines that love wasn't the major aspect of the union or that other things needed to be developed before real love kicked in...something like that.

I don't have the spread in front of me right now but I do remember thinking that this person was trying to please a parent figure before thinking of his/her own feelings - as if thinking, "this is how it's supposed to be, but why am I not feeling the passion/affection I want to feel..."

It was just so odd to be void in the suit you'd think would be all over the thing!