Encyclopedia of Tarot vol. 4

Ophiel

Kaplan Encyclopedia Volume 4

There has been some buzz in this group about the next volume of Stuart Kaplan's "Encyclopedia of the Tarot," the fourth one.

The first volume of Kaplan's "Encyclopedia of the Tarot" was really a ground-breaking book on the Tarot. It covered quite a bit of Tarot history and deck development, and over 150 pages of 20th century decks, so many decks. It also had a section on reading the cards.

Volume two was more in-depth history, symbolism found in the early cards, and so many samples of the pre-twentieth century decks.

Volume three (1990) included an in-depth article about Pamela Colman-Smith, over 500 pages of scarce and rare twentieth century decks, and about 90 pages of more readily available decks.

That was more than ten years ago.

Has anyone heard what might be in the next volume? I'm guessing that since Tarot has burgeoned since the last volume, (even before Miss Cleo!) that at least SOME of the modern classics will be included...

Any information on this?

Jeannette

I had the good fortune to speak with Mr. Kaplan at the World Tarot Conference in Chicago last May. At that time, we arranged to sell him a number of decks for inclusion in volume 4 of his Encyclopedia.

The following is the information I received from Mr. Kaplan about that work, as I recall it. When reading what I have to report here, please keep in mind the following:

- I am not an employee of U.S. Games Systems, and am not privy to any "insider knowledge." I do not speak for U.S. Games Systems, but am reporting information based on my memory (possibly faulty) of my few conversations with Mr. Kaplan.

- The information presented here was presumably correct (allowing for errors in my understanding or lapses of memory) at the time of those conversations. I cannot guarantee that things haven't changed in the intervening months since my last exchange with Mr. Kaplan.

With the disclaimers out of the way, here's what I can tell you:

- In Chicago, Mr. Kaplan estimated that about 650 tarots (presumably mostly from the 20th -- and 21st -- century(ies), and quite likely from the last 13 years, since volume 3 was published in 1990). After our discussions and business arrangements, he reestimated that the number of decks included might expand, and end up being closer to 800.

- Mr. Kaplan was hoping to wrap up work on the basic compilation and documentation by the end of 2002, and to have the book printed and on the shelves by the end of 2003. I cannot say for sure whether or not the basic work was completed at the end of the last year on schedule, but I know that Mr. Kaplan's research assistant was still seeking additional information on several decks as late as November.

- One of the things that struck me most was Mr. Kaplan's surprise to discover the vast number of Japanese (and other Asian) tarots that had been published over the last 10 years. This is an area I've personally followed quite closely; a substantial percentage of Asian tarots have their roots in the manga/anime genre. Mr. Kaplan was not familiar with the Japanese anime/manga craze, but I presume that at least some anime/manga tarots will be included in volume 4, as we provided him with a few such decks as part of our business arrangement with him.

On a personal note, I found Mr. Kaplan to be a gracious and charming individual, and it was a true pleasure and honor to have the opportunity to work with him, albeit briefly, in a situation relating to what is certain to be another monumental contribution to the field of tarot.

-- Jeannette
http://www.tarotgarden.com

Page

I can't wait

I will have a compulsion to go and buy the encyclopedia when it comes out!

Thanks for the info

Ophiel

Projected Publishing Date

I inquired about when Volume Four will be ready and got a response today that the encyclopedia is still being written and isn't expected to be available until early next year.

Summerdream

I have the first 3 books on order and am hoping the 4th book gets released this year. It should have so many of the newer modern decks in it especially seeing how long it's been since the 3rd volume was released.
Blessings,
Momof3girls

HudsonGray

It's almost ready to come out. I'd emailed them asking if it's too late to include a card or two from my deck & they sent this back today:

Sorry, the Encyclopedia is in the final editing stage. We'd love to have one of your decks for our extensive library. And who knows, there just may be a Volume 5!
Bobbie Bensaid
Administrative Manager

I cut off the phone numbers & other things at the bottom of the post. Well, looks like at least the book will come out soon. They were due originally in Oct. 2002 and changed the release date at least two times since then. Oh well, guess I missed my chance at immortality in vol. 4.

Osher

What is the Encyclopaedia? What does it contain?

crystal cove

That's great news!

I'm awaiting the first three volumns in the mail as we speak and it's good to know that a fourth is on the way. Translates into many happy hours of reading for me! :D

ol_crazy_Legs

Yeah I'd like to know more about the encyclopedia of tarot. What is it exactly?

jmd

N.B.: I have merged this thread with the older one which discusses volume 4 of the Encyclopedia - jmd