Encyclopedia of Tarot vol. 4

HudsonGray

These books are absolutely great, if you haven't heard of them before, try to find some, most are available used or can be ordered yet through Barnes & Noble.

The first I believe was mostly about the really old decks, Marseilles & such up to about 1920. The book covered a lot of the history & printing of the older ones.

Volume two covered the decks after the Marseilles, mostly. There's tons of illustrations in each book, and they're well worth the money.

Volume 3 a friend of mine was able to get into, with her self published deck, they had a few cards shown of hers. This volume had a number of newer decks from 1960 on up, both self published & commercially produced. It continued where volume #2 left off.

I don't have any of the volumes yet (I keep getting outbid on eBay) but have heard a lot about each. If you get the hardcover version, I know vol. #3 is a huge coffeetable size book probably weighing 6 pounds. They're well worth the money. Volume four has been anticipated for over a year & I'm ordering a copy as soon as it's available.

The books cover the history of the decks rather than the use of tarot cards, they're not a how to book, in other words. You get a lot of pictures & descriptions, facts and figures.

Edited to add: I found this for the series----

Publisher's Note
The history behind the luminous art, the esoteric meanings, and the rich symbolism of tarot is a valuable resource for collectors An outstanding archive of the tarot in three volumes that brings together the major theories of occultists and scholars, and reproductions of cards from more than 1,000 different tarot decks. Kaplan also explores symbolism, origins, iconography, and interpretations of tarot cards. The set is illustrated with both black and white and color illustrations, totaling more than 15,000 cards from over 1,000 tarot and tarock decks dating from the 15th century to the present. Each volume builds on the last with different cards and decks, and the combined annotated bibliography contains more than 3,300 titles from the 14th century to the present. Discussions and photographs of 3,600 cards and 300 tarot and tarock decks. Traces the development of various styles, focuses on Renaissance and medieval symbolism, closely analyzes the Major Arcana, and provides information about dating tarot decks.

Dexter

I love these books!!

I ordered them from my local book store and just picked up all 3 volumes on Thursday. They are amazing. I can't wait for the fourth to come out. The information available in them is unbelievable. It was well worth the cost even after converting to Canadian dollars from American. The lady in the book store commented on how beautiful the books were. This adds up to alot of wonderful hours of reading.

Dexter

Melvis

I got the set of 3 on Ebay for $25 a piece, and they were very nicely covered with those shiny book covers, so I was very happy with what I paid for them.

I always end up looking up a single deck to see some info about when it was originally published, and find myself still looking at the book an hour later! ;) It is very addicting.

I found it most useful for the historical information. It was so nice to see a kind of timeline of information on original publications on all those older decks. Hopefully I can get a shiny new Volume 4 when it comes out! :D

Peace,

Melvis
:TSTRE

contrascarpe

Anyone know the latest on volume 4? I had been ogling the first three for a long, long time. Almost picked them all up (figured it would have set me back $115 plus state tax). I found the three volume set on eBay the other day (estate sale remnants) in excellent condition for $50 for all three - figured I couldn't pass that up. Weird thing is, I was the only bidder. I just have to wait for them to make their 3,000 mile trek through Postal Service territory, lol. Can't wait to see them!

Dan

Jeannette

contrascarpe96 said:
Anyone know the latest on volume 4? I had been ogling the first three for a long, long time.
According to my last phone conversation with Mr. Kaplan, he was hopeful that the book would hit the shelves by the end of the year. But I also know from having received a contact from one of his research assistants back in March that there was still some compiling and editing work going on. So, who knows? All I do know is that Mr. Kaplan claimed there would be over 800 decks documented in the fourth volume.

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

contrascarpe

Thanks Jeannette - I will keep an eye out on your site - don't be surprised to get a call from me when you list it!

Dan

Summerdream

Jeannette said:
According to my last phone conversation with Mr. Kaplan, he was hopeful that the book would hit the shelves by the end of the year. But I also know from having received a contact from one of his research assistants back in March that there was still some compiling and editing work going on. So, who knows? All I do know is that Mr. Kaplan claimed there would be over 800 decks documented in the fourth volume.

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

I've very anxious for the 4th volume. I have the other 3 volumes and love them. There has been so many new decks that have come out since the last volume that this one ought to be incredible!

Momof3girls:)

Jewel

Any news on when it is coming out? or has it already? anyone know?

Jeannette

Jewel said:
Any news on when it is coming out? or has it already? anyone know?
Not out yet; Mr. Kaplan sounded hopeful that it would hit the shelves before the end of the year. But it's a tremendous undertaking, so that may yet be an optomistic projection. We may know more when the new USG catalog for 2004/2005 is released next month.

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

Jeannette

Update

I spoke with Mr. Kaplan on the phone on Friday (14 May 2004), at which time he said that he anticipated volume IV would be headed to the printers in approx. two months.

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden