Downloadable Tarot Journal?!?!

The Wounded King

I have to say that I have been using Macjournal for a number of years and although I still use paper journals as well (I love ink from my fountain pen gliding onto the paper) I think it is an excellent piece of software. Although it is now being sold by Mariner I want to say how great Dan is. He was always very responsive and produced an excellent tool and kept it free for many years. I was even offered an upgrade price because I had been using it for so long so I did upgrade. It seems to balance nicely the needs for flexibility and intuitive use.

Little Baron

I know you are all going to laugh at me, but ...

I downloaded the TreeDBNotes last night after reading such positive responses here, and yes, it is complex ... so complex, I am not sure how to work it, lol. I had trees and tags all over the place.
I looked at the 'help' page but couldn't work out how to get it organised the way it should be. Am I just out of touch? I am not the most computer-literate person in the world, I admit. Any help with how others have learnt to work with this program, would be great. All I want to do is have a section for readings and one for Daily Draws - neatly organised so I can click on the days and titles in each section at a later date.

LB

Rita

Hey LB!

Well, I'm not going to laugh at you because I am having the same problem with the TreeDBNotes LOL. I downloaded all 3 - T Diary, LifeJournal2 and the TreeDBNotes. The T Diary is the easiest except that the images cannot be on same page as the text. The LifeJournal 2 is very nice, except I don't know if I can pay for a journal right now, and to get the full benefits of it, you need to buy it. I am also having trouble figuring out the TreeDBNotes, so you are not alone! LOL I would also appreciate any input or suggestions from those who have used it.

Emily

Hi LB and Rita,

Its trial and error. Start off with a main page - Call it your notes - This is your main front page.

Click on the icons (the little folders) , to open new pages linked to your main page. Any thing you do can be deleted if you do it wrong. It works like a tree - main page, little pages off from main page - but you can also link pages off from already linked pages. When it says 'New Item' click on the properties and change the name.

Then open another Main page - Change the name, and open pages from it.

It sounds really complicated but mess around with the folders until you have the pages looking like you want. Anything you do can be deleted or moved - cut/copy and paste from one folder into another.

On my Main Front page I write what I have added to my database that day.

The next folder is named just 'Tarot' - I have spreads in there - all tiered off into their own folders but still linked to the tarot folder.

The next folders are Majors, Minors, Courts - all in their own little folders but linked to the Main Page.

Hope this helps. :)

Edited to say:-

Have a look at the demo pages - shows you how the database can look. :)

WolfyJames

When you make a database, you are in a tree. If you want to change the title and icon of the tree, right click on the title of the tree and click on Tree Options, you can also delete the tree or create a new one there. Then, you can change the title and icon. Each tree is a tab of sort, so if you want to add another tab (or tree), you can go to Files at the menu at the top and click Add New Tree. You can also there delete the tree and change the options if you are in that tree (tab) at that moment.

Inside of the tree, you can add elements to organise the database. I suggest you don't delete the one there called My Notes when you create a new tree. If you delete it right away, you won't be able to add elements to the new tree and you will be force to delete this tree and to create a new one. Per exemple, I right click on My Notes and then click Insert After, this will add an element right under My Notes, and there I would put Major Arcana and pick an icon, you can even choose a different backgroud color. Once this element is added, you can then delete My Notes. I can do the same again with Major Arcana and add Minor Arcana. Major Arcana and Minor Arcana are root items. When you right click, you can add an element that would be a root item as well, by clicking Insert Root Item or by being in a root item, like Major Arcana and Minor Arcana and clicking Insert After, these will put this new element right under them in the first column.

Now, if you want to add elements within Major Arcana, children items, you can right click on Major Arcana and click Insert Child Item and put 0 The Fool with its icon. 0 The Fool is a child, not a root item, so it will be put in the second column. From there, is you want to add elements after 0 The Fool, in the same column, you right click 0 The Fool and then click Insert After, this will add an element right under 0 The Fool and you could put there I The Magician. You can add as many child items as you want.

Elements are not ordered, there is no way to order them alphabetically automaticaly, so if you want to move them around to put them in the right order, you can move an element, in the same column, by right clicking the element and clicking Move Up or Move Down. You can also drag and drop an element in the same column or put it in a different parent.

Now, that you're ready to add informations in one of the elements, you can check all the icons you have: 1st row: you have Cut, Copy, Paste, Undo, Redo, Find, Find and Replace, then 6 icons for elements like New Root Item, Insert as a Child, etc. 2nd row: Paragrap (left, right, etc.), Bullets, Numbering, Line Spacing, Decrease Indent, Increase Indent, Wordwrap, Paragraph Background Color, then the table options (one of the reasons I love TreeDBNotes Free) for when you create tables.

You can add a lot too by being in the element and right clicking: you have two different kind of Paste, in Insert, you can insert a date, time, an horizontal line, file, image, URL, etc., you can also create a table, etc.

I want to mention that the TreeDBNotes files can sometimes become terrifyingly big and heavy and you have to do something often to ensure it doesn't happen. You have to go to Files in the menu at the top and go in Database Tools, click on Repair Database, once it's over, go back there and this time click Compact Database. Your database will lose a lot of weight. ;) Plus the app saves automatically when it closes.

Emily

Ooohh Wolfyjames,

Thats better than what I wrote - I can understand it lol :D

Edited to add:-

I'm going to save it. :)

Rita

Emily & WolfyJames,

WOW, thank you so much! Those are 2 great explanations of using the program and I really appreciate it. Helps alot! Thanks a bunch for taking the time to explain it all.

Little Baron

Yes ... thanks so much to the both of you. I went through it with your instructions and now I have sections for majors, minors, readings, daily draws etc. It is a great program now that I have got the hang of it. Organises beautifully. I have also included a little table for my daily draws so I can see what cards repeat as I go along.

Cheers for taking the time.

LB

Emily

Hi LB,

Yes I made up charts for my Majors, Minors and Courts too - I sat down with my deck, no other books and just added to the charts what came to mind when I looked at the cards. It was a good learning experience and still on-going. Found out I still don't know much about the Court cards. :)

Fairawen

I know I'm kinda late to the threa, but TDiary rocks out loud! It's awesome! Yehaw! Just had to say that.

~Fairawen~