Le musée des sorciers, mages et alchimistes

firemaiden

HI - I saw this book in a Berkeley bookstore - Le musée des sorciers, mages et alchimistes, by Ludovic de Grillot de Givry (1966) éditions Tchou- it looked fantastic- there were amazing pictures, like a fifteenth century chart of how to interpret playing cards for divination. (Did we know such things existed?). Has anyone read this book? (It cost $60.00 so I didn't buy it, but now I see it is a rare book... and am thinking about getting it).

Has anyone, like for example... maybe jmd :)D) heard of this book?

firemaiden

OH my goodness, a visit to Amazon shows it's been published in English and recently too, as "Witchcraft, Magic and Alchemy" (Paperback)
(author give as "Emile Grillot de Givry")

roppo

The work was translated into Japanese in 1975 with a somewhat misleading title "akuma-no-sho" (The Book of Devil). Its numerous engravings and woodcuts were very attractive. but the low quality of the paper was simply dissapointing. I want a newly proccessed colored version!

For me, the chapter on the tarot was striking. At that time the tarot decks I knew were RWS, Thoth and Marsaille only. The pictures of Tarot de Paris have grasped my heart ever since.

Sophie

I've heard of it & have been on the look-out of it for ages (in French). Fancy it turning up in Berkeley ;)

Strange2

Sounds intriguing. I was able to request it through my local library loan system. Looking forward to checking it out!

Cerulean

You can buy a cheap English reprint

But no color plates:

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?y=13&tn=Witchcraft,+Magic+and+Alchemy&x=38

I think I remember seeing it, glancing, and just returning it to the shelf in a used bookstore. Dover editions are nice, cheap reprints of old texts.

In French it starts at $12, so it's not so rare if you can buy online:

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet...E9e+des+sorciers%2C+mages+et+alchimistes&x=21

In your opinions, is it like the standard general books which gives a Victorian or mysterious occultish slant to tarot? The Occult Encyclopedia of the 1920s with Eudes Picard meanings and the 1930's Manly P. Hall texts sometimes give one a feel of "woo-woo--high magic" that was okay for then...other people's interest in it makes me curious about opinions.

Cerulean

Cerulean

The funniest listings for this book on abebooks.com:

Firemaiden, what a lovely post--you've made my day in terms of book searches!

The top four purchases you might consider for the backstory:

1. A funny listing:
70. WITCHCRAFT MAGIC & ALCHEMY (ISBN: 0844601136)
De Givry, Grillot
Bookseller: Skullduggery House Books
(Lightfoot, VA, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 21.00
[Convert Currency] Shipping within U.S.A.:
FREE
[Rates & Speeds] Add Book to Shopping Basket

Book Description: Bonanza Books (Houghton Mifflin), undated. First Edition, first printing this publisher. A near fine condition copy and dust jacket in good condition: 8.5 by 11.5 inches; red boards, black lettering; a through h letter line on revers of title page; 395 pages including index; 376 illustrations; translated by J. Courtenay Locke. An explication of the 'dark arts' by a far from humble Frenchman, who- never-the-less, contrives to cover all the supposed evil and licentiousness connected to sorcery, magic, and alchemy. Bookseller Inventory # 06050406

[Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller]

2. From the library of a horror author with his bookplate:
Witchcraft Magic & Alchemy.
De Givry, Grillot.
Bookseller: Daniel Breen/2nd Foundation Bookstore, I
(Chapel Hill, NC, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 22.50
US$ 4.50

Book Description: N.p.: Frederick Publications, 1954, N.p., 1954. A collection of the iconography of occultism. More than 370 illustrations. Index. Translated by J. Courtenay Locke. From the library of horror author/editor Karl Edward Wagner, with his bookplate affixed to the front fixed endpaper. Very good/near fine in -very good decorated dust jacket which is slightlly edgeworn and has a tear in the rear panel. Bookseller Inventory # SCI997

3. From booksellers who either lived or watched movies from the time period of it's reprint:

Witchcraft Magic and Alchemy. (ISBN: 0844601136)
De Givry, Grillot.
Bookseller: Berryville Old Book Shop
(Berryville, VA, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 25.00
US$ 3.00

Book Description: Bonanza, NY: n. d. 395 pgs. Very good+ copy in dj. Jacket wrinkled in one spot. Translated by J. Courtenay Locke. 376 illustrations. Recent reprint. Every well-known phase of magic law from symbols and superstitions to the Witch of Endor and Doctor Faustus. Bookseller Inventory # 1451

4. From the same:
Witchcraft Magic & Alchemy
De Givry, Grillot Translated By Courtenay Locke
Bookseller: HealingI Books
(Chatsworth, CA, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 28.95
US$ 5.50

Book Description: Frederick Publications, 1954, 1954. This small format hardback easily slips into a pocket for handy referring to your iconography on every occasion, anywhere, anytime. This book is only slightly worn, in Very Good Condition inside a dust jacket that is in Good+ Condition, with some chipping at edges and a small tear near front lower corner. Fascinating stories and lore, hundreds of illustrations quite unique--considering the oppressive period it was published (1950's) this is quite a cultural artifact. Sorcerers, Magicians, Alchemists, secret documents, curative virtues, Tailsmans . . . Bookseller Inventory # 000229

Just don't pay $60 unless it has color or uniqueness to it's volume. It's rare in Berkeley perhaps, but easily available through the internet and nationwide in various used book conditions.

Good luck on your choices!

Cerulean

firemaiden

Cerulean the ones you listed are for the English translation. Actually there have been several editions in English. It was reedited in English in 2003, and can be bought for $11.00, so the English version is not worth 60.00. However, the French 1966 version, edited by Editions Tschou (the same people who brough us the famous "Guide de Paris Mystérieux) is listed on the rare book shops (I checked) starting at 60 euro - so for this edition, it is a very good price.

Cerulean

I guess you didn't see my French listing in the first post

There are multiple French language listings through abebooks.com--but we could have cross-posted, so you didn't see what my search on the French title as well.

They do begin at $12 overseas, so perhaps with mailing, you might get better results in the U.S. only search. I'm repeating the link:

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet...E9e+des+sorciers%2C+mages+et+alchimistes&x=21

Best regards on your search! Hope you get a good edition at a good price--I see your publisher listed in books available for under $60, as well, so that's why I hoped you wouldn't pay that price.

Cerulean