.traveller.'s tarot

.traveller.

Okay, I've been shamed into posting some pictures. Please remember that these images are very rough and may change considerably before reaching their final form. If you have any questions, please ask. I don't mind talking about my work. I'm just shy about posting unfinished images, so please be kind :)

Sidhe-Ra

You're a very talented artist! Thank you so much for sharing your images, they are very striking indeed. I'm really looking forward to seeing your deck develop!

Blessings,

Em

Milfoil

Some lovely sketches there Traveller. I especially like the study for XX it has a really good composition.

Don't be shy with your artwork, we love to see it. Thankyou for sharing.

Keep up the good work.

.traveller.

Thank you both :)
I am hoping to use some of the finished images for my application to graduate school, so I really do need to get motivated and start carving. Maybe now that I have started a thread, I'll feel obligated to give regular updates. :D

Major Tom

Thanks for starting this thread .traveler. :)

You got some very nice drawings there. Are you using pencil and charcoal? I especially like your woodcut and wonder how you're going to translate your drawings into woodcuts or is it linoblocks?

I'll be watching your deck develop with interest.

Leo62

Whoa I love your Judgement card, really strong! And I wouldn't worry about "conforming to tradition" - who needs another "traditional" tarot deck, lol? })

catlin

I also like the XX best, why not doing a full deck in that style?

Bat Chicken

Looks really interesting - looking forward to seeing more!
I agree with Sidhe-Ra - why be traditional? Thanks for sharing!:)

.traveller.

I use pencils, 4H, mostly. Those pencil drawings will be translated into woodcuts. I hate lino with a passion, argh, my blood pressure rises just thinking about working with that stuff. I'll get a pic up of the drawing that the 5s face study was translated from, some time today. I need to photograph my paintings anyway, so I'll just add the sketch to the stack of things to do.
The XX study was a mixed media effort consisting of charcoal, white pastel, and graphite. It really is a finished piece in it's own right. It was originally intended to become a collagraph, but I couldn't bear to make any changes/destroy the original. That's the nice thing about woodcuts, the original artwork remains intact. I am thinking of doing all of the Majors in this style. I think the art for the Majors will translate into woodcuts very well since there are few gray tones and a decided emphasis on shape and line.

.traveller.

Bat Chicken said:
- why be traditional? Thanks for sharing!:)

It's important to me to maintain the traditional symbolism because of the spiritual significance. The creation of the images and the execution of those images becomes a meditative process for me.
It just seems to me that there must be some higher reason for these symbols to have survived, more or less intact, to the present day. It is also a technical/artistic challenge to work within the constraints of a predetermined system and yet create something uniquely my own. Otherwise, I could finish an entire deck within a couple of weeks, but not necessarily create something with the deep personal meaning that I am striving for.
To be honest, I really don't need to make the minors at all to fullfill my intended purpose. However, I have developed a rapport with many of the minors, particularily the suit of swords, for it is through our experiences with the mundane that we are prepared for the spiritual. The creation of the minors I see as a recap of my life up to this point.