Looking for a 1910-1930's book on Tarot

The crowned one

jmd,Cerulean

Good point, I have a tendency to think "English"

MardiGras

tarot of the bohemians absolute key to the occult science,
1889 -1910 A. P. Norton, Trans.; A. E. Waite, Ed ISBN
http://www.tarotpedia.com/wiki/index.php/Tarot_Books:_Classics

many blessings and all the best of your search these items, fascinating stuff and would be interested to hear as to what you purchase.

as above B.O.T.A and Golden Dawn do spring to mind
esp Crowley

hope this helps you!

can't say I have come across books that old other than a friends e-books

Cerulean

1910-1920's....Tarot without real books, but booklets

1910 - 1915 - Cagliostro Tarot is Italian and you can get an Italian version from Modiano (alidastore.com;tarotgarden.com) or English one with booklet and information of minor decanates (not a standard assignment) from U.S. Games as a reprint. The booklet is modern. The minors are Marseilles in look and feel.

1910 - Alan Tarocchi/Tarot from Modiano with French suited minors, but the booklet is modern. However the divinatory meanings have the more "Italian/French" cartomancy feel.

There is reprint available of Knapp-Hall's divinatory system, but it is recyling the pseudo-Egyptian esoteric Falconnier/Wegnor (sp) with a twist that uses digits 1-9 and then starts adding elemental imagination for the minors and playing card meanings...Eudes Picard in the Occult Encyclopedia or the Grand Etteilla mentioned earlier will also give a similar taste with their own twists.

I'm certain others will come up with more--one of the best resources is to check out "The History of The Occult Tarot" by Decker/Dummett (sp)...best wishes on your searches. I am curious what you might settle on...hope the links and ideas given above are helpful.

And I'm eager to see other suggestions...forgot about checking Tarot-pedia first!

Cerulean

Teheuti

Kenny said:
As the title says I'm looking for an early 20th century book on the Tarot, or one that inculdes tarot in it. However it should not be based upon the Golden Dawn school of thought, or that of the BOTA either.
My timeline lists many more books from this period then those mentioned by Cerulean.

http://www.tarotpassages.com/mkgtimeline.htm

Check out
* Practical Astrology by Comte C. de Saint Germain (note: Egyptian-style tarot)
* Oswald Wirth (one of the best!) - translated as _Tarot of the Magicians_.
* Papus
* Mouni Sadhu
* Ouspensky
* Harriette Augusta Curtiss and F. Homer Curtiss
* C. C. Zain (note: Egyptian-style tarot)
* Mathers' first book _The Tarot_, which does not include GD material.
* M.P. Hall
* Thierens
* Le Tarot de Marseille by Paul Marteau. Only available in French but it had a major impact on interpretations of the Marseille Tarot.
* Dequer (note: Egyptian-style tarot)
* Poinsot (Encyclopedia that includes Tarot material)

Mary

Apocalipstick

How intricate is the French in the Marteau book? I can read it passably well, but it gets too fancy and I'm lost.

Teheuti

Apocalipstick said:
How intricate is the French in the Marteau book? I can read it passably well, but it gets too fancy and I'm lost.
I don't read French but I've been told that it's very literary and not easy to translate. I've asked a couple of people to translate sections and they didn't find it easy to do, including one professional translator.

Bits of it have been translated in various threads here.

Mary

Apocalipstick

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

A shame, then. I've heard of it from several different sources at this point, but it looks like I'll have to do some serious improvement of my French before I can read it.

I'll search for through the threads until then.

Kenny

Thanks for the help.

What I am fully after is a book that details the 'Keys*' as this hopefully will aid me in my Chaldean Numerology studies.

I'll try and get a look at the books mentioned and see what's best for my needs.
_____
* Major Arcana, Trumps, etc.

The crowned one

Kenny said:
Thanks for the help.

What I am fully after is a book that details the 'Keys*' as this hopefully will aid me in my Chaldean Numerology studies.

I'll try and get a look at the books mentioned and see what's best for my needs.
_____
* Major Arcana, Trumps, etc.

Paul foster case covers Keys in his book.

Teheuti

Kenny said:
There's a translation of Marteau's summary of the numbers at:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=48098&highlight=Marteau+numbers

Also, the Curtiss books have a comparative approach to the Majors (comparing several decks) with a focus on the numerology. Vol. 1 contains the first half the the majors, while Vol. 2 contains the 2nd half - so you'll need both volumes. I believe they are out of print but should be available at used book sites.

Mary