Tarot on ITV2 now [20:08]

Little Baron

Not sure what this is.

Parents just allerted me so off to have a look.

But apparently it is something about tarot.

If it's rubbish, blame my parents.

LB

Little Baron

It's rubbish.

But actually, don't blame my parents.

I stopped watching because it was annoying me.

It is called 'The Bullshit Detective'. A guy who goes around trying to prove that there is no truth in this, that, or the other. Tarot Readers were part of this week's agenda, it seems.

A woman read for him with the RWS.

A man read for him with the Thoth.

He deduced that he could probably read in the same way too, and opened up a stall, charging people and 'making up' this and that. In his way, proving that the whole thing was bullshit, because people were falling for it. And the public, in falling for it, gave their opinion on how stupid they felt.

The problem is that his programme is called 'The Bullshit Detective'. With a title like that, he is not going to turn round and say 'well, it ain't bullshit actually'. So he is never going to have an open mind to what it is that he is making a programme about. I found it very irritating and arrogant to watch, which is why I turned it off in a few minutes.

Should have been called 'The A***hole Detective'. What use is there in programmes like that? Just going around and trying to demean and bring down the beliefs of others; and in this case, something that has been practised for many centuries and of which he knows no background.

At last, I thought. A programme about tarot. And as usual, wasted by sceptics and the ignorant.

Grrr.

LB

Knight of Wands

Was going to go watch it.

But wouldn't waste my time.

Does my nut in when there is articles/programmes like that.

They're so one sided.

Hmph.

Kenny

LB this guy also did the same for Crystal Healing a few weeks ago. I'll catch this guy later on On Demand.

wumpkie

Give that Guy a slap (I'm watching it on BBC3???)

Little Baron

I have never seen him before, Kenny. My parents just called out, as they often do if there are cards on the tv [they are really sweet like that], so none of us were aware whether it was a possitive or negative representation.

But hope drained pretty quickly, from the moment I sat down. Once again, the readers didn't particularly help. Well, one of them didn't. When asked how long it would take to learn the meanings of the deck he was using, he said 'a couple of days'. A couple of days!!! He was reading The Thoth! Maybe the detective really had de-robed some bullshit with that particular reader.

But dispite my annoyance about the programme, what annoys me is that it shuts people down; it closes them to opportunities. Someone watching that will believe what that man said to be gospel. Infact, many will. Now, if the was researching 'one' specific reader that was using the tarot for ill gain, then fine. But he was dismissing all readers in one fail swoop. I once saw a programme about a 'mobile' plastic surgeon who used a cake slice as a tool of his trade and put women's breat inplants in men who were having opporations to enlarge their pecs. Bad surgeon. But he was not representative of all surgeons.

LB

wumpkie

It just makes you (and me) so angry, why do they decide to do that? Obvioulsy having all those channels and no one watching them they have to make programmes like this.

rebecca-smiles

Little Baron said:
The problem is that his programme is called 'The Bullshit Detective'. With a title like that, he is not going to turn round and say 'well, it ain't bullshit actually'.

ROFLMAO!

No. But it would have been pithy.

ribbitcat

It was interesting. Of course, you know the outcome beforehand, as LB says. But there is still some value in the program. It did show perfectly how easy it is for scam artists to operate in this field. It also showed how crappy his research team is.
Did you notice how when the assistant was 'recruiting' people for his 0898 number that he was asking them if they were 'qualified' readers ?
Did you notice how although he had spent some hours studying, the presenter decided to use 3 or 4 statements and give them to each of his 3 querents *regardless* of the cards drawn ? That was not tarot reading. That was simply proving that most people can make a generalized statement fit them. The only card he specifically mentioned by name was Judgment. Personally, I don't interpret that to mean that someone is facing a decision, as he did. Perhaps his memory is bad and he couldn't recall the 'book' meaning ;-)
Did you see their faces when he was telling them his statements ? Seemed to me a couple looked like they wanted to disagree - but maybe didn't want to offend him.

The reader with the Thoth deck was Paul Hughes-Barlow, I'm pretty sure. Google him before you mock him. The basics of tarot can be learned in a few days, especially if one uses Paul's method of reading - I learned the very basics of this method from him in a taster workshop of a couple of hours.

The fact is, you just can't change the mind of someone who is close-minded. Anyone remember James Randi's series a few years back ? He had on the astrologer from the Sun, who had been given someone's chart without their name. He described someone who was intellectual, educated, humorous, involved in showbusiness in some way etcetc. It turned out it was the chart for Stephen Fry, who was in the audience, and who said that it was inaccurate and did not reflect him in any way. Hmm. None so blind as those that won't see.

ribbitcat

prudence

Hmm, this sounds very much like a show we have here called "Penn and Teller; Bull*hit" in which they debunk a certain topic each week (or "prove" it to be "bulls*it"). They have shocked and offended me a few times with what they consider to be BS, but, they (and by they, I mean Penn, because he is the only one who talks) are pretty funny, so sometimes I am able to stomach it. (though I have not been able to bring myself to watch the episode that dealt with tarot etc)

Last week's episode was "Handicap Parking". (no topic to them is sacred!)

I have also seen them make utter fools of people who might be descibed as New Age Healers.

Funny you should use the term "a**hole" to describe your show, LB, because that is exactly how they introduce different interviewed guests on Penn and Teller...They say, "Now take a look at THIS a**hole..."