Looking for a tarot & numerology book

firecatpickles

The problem I have with The Divine Triangle is that it is very involved and would require learning an entirely different system in order to read tarot. Each card is assigned a number 1-78 and meanings are assigned accordingly. Talk about having your head just about explode! I mean, how many meanings do we need?!

moderndayruth

The problem I have with The Divine Triangle is that it is very involved and would require learning an entirely different system in order to read tarot. Each card is assigned a number 1-78 and meanings are assigned accordingly. Talk about having your head just about explode! I mean, how many meanings do we need?!

Hey dear, i don't know to what exactly you are referring; what is Divine Triangle concept?

I am much more into indepth reading and comprehending - all of the Mary Greer's books i read are like that; absolutely no memorization is welcomed here as i have two more exams next year, not enough available hard-disc space for it all. ;)

The other book i haven't opened yet - ugghh, i did move it from the library to the living room; and now it sits on the shelf here and *looks* at me so accusingly.... :(

firecatpickles

Granted, The Divine Triangle is a book I have flipped through only a few times, but each time I looked got the impression that it was biting off way more than it could chew in addition to it being overly obtuse. It goes on and on about the geometry of the Divine Trianlge itself and then applies it to various forms of divination, including tarot. Each card is assigned a number, 1 to 78, and numerology / keywords / meanings derived from this basic numerological concept.

It just seemed unnecessary to me to go through such great links to redefine a simple system, like reinventing the wheel.

moderndayruth

Granted, The Divine Triangle is a book I have flipped through only a few times, but each time I looked got the impression that it was biting off way more than it could chew in addition to it being overly obtuse. It goes on and on about the geometry of the Divine Trianlge itself and then applies it to various forms of divination, including tarot. Each card is assigned a number, 1 to 78, and numerology / keywords / meanings derived from this basic numerological concept.

It just seemed unnecessary to me to go through such great links to redefine a simple system, like reinventing the wheel.

Is it this one: http://www.amazon.com/Numerology-Divine-Triangle-Faith-Javane/dp/0914918109

Lol, no way! :D

tarotbear

There is my favorite book ...

Without trying to sound like a complete plug (my book is OOP :( ) if you could find or borrow a copy of 'It's All in the Cards' by John M*******e, ISBN 1-4027-9-1986-2 and read the chapters on 'Life Cards' and 'Year Cards' which fuse Tarot and Numerology (but I only use the Major Arcana.)

Teheuti

My latest book, Who Are You in the Tarot?, is just out and is an extensive rewrite and expansion of Tarot Constellations. It's all about Birth, Name and Year Cards and shows how they relate to the Minor Arcana cards of the same number.

Mary K. Greer

Barleywine

If you can find a copy of it (I think it may be OOP), the Pythagorean Tarot set has a 400+ page book that goes into Pythagorean number theory as applied to the Tarot. It also has a lot of interesting background material on Greek mythology as illustrated in the cards. I haven't read it yet, but browsing through it, it looks thorough and deep. The bibliography is HUGE, and I recognize only a fraction of the titles. A lot of it is scholarly stuff, but there is a good deal on alchemy that I'm going to examine more closely.

Barleywine

Trying to pin every tarot card to a unique numerological basis must be an interesting challenge for any author. It would seem to be a much more difficult task than blending tarot with the Tree of Life, which shares an almost organic correspondence, or the I Ching, which comes closer with its 64 hexagrams. Given the numerological practice of reduction, you really start out with only the nine Pythagorean archetypes, and, short of shoehorning everything into that model (which would result in a lot of repetition and more than a few non-intuitive match-ups unless considerable theoretical "revisionism" is applied), some creative way has to be found to expand the alphabet. I don't really like the "78 unique number" approach with someone's personal take on what each one might mean (which to me would always seem provisional and hypothetical until it attains an historical stature akin to the I Ching, and I don't see that happening in our "throw-away" culture). Perhaps the constituent numbers of each trump card past The Hermit and of the suits (I, II, II, IV) and minor cards (1-9 plus "1-and-0") or of the suits (I, II, II, IV) and the court cards (1 through 4) could form the philosophical basis for reading the number symbolism as " complexes" or "constellations" rather than synthesized units, although there would still be some duplication unless additional variables could be brought in (maybe astrological and geomantic?). But I'm sure that's already been tried by someone or other. Perhaps by Paul Foster Case somewhere in the depths of the BOTA material.

I agree that it seems to be an interesting but overly iterative exercise that doesn't serve to expand the card meanings in any very useful way. Then again I'm only a fledgling numerologist, and others with broader exposure may have found better source material on this subject. I'd be interested in knowing whether it exists.

Melia

I'm looking for a good tarot book that incorporates numerology/numbers.

I'd like to look more into that.

Can you recommend any good ones?

Thanks!

For a very good book that discusses purely numbers, I would recommend this one:

'The Secret Science of Numerology
The Hidden Meaning of Numbers and Letters' by Shirley Blackwell Lawrence

Another book is 'Cheiro's Book of Numbers' which you can pick up from Amazon second hand very cheaply. I got mine 2nd hand for $5.

In my opinion these 2 books will give you everything you need to know about numerology, to help you incorporate it with tarot.