Attention, trimmers: What are your trimming tools of choice?

ayuryogini

I finally took the plunge and started hacking up favorite decks. I'm so glad I did!

I chose Fiskars SureCut TripleTrack because it has a thin wire guideline that makes it easy to see exactly where the blade will cut. I got the 9" because I have a bigger rotary Fiskar which is rather bulky. I wanted something small that was easy to make room for on my desk.

I found the SureCut at Michael's, half off with their weekly coupon, under $10.

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-SureC...444585458&sr=8-10&keywords=fiskar+tripletrack

I'm very happy with the new one. The rotary cuts better, but it is an older model and lacks the high precision I need for Tarot cards.

update: I've cut four or five decks with this tool now and I really like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

decan

I use only 2 tools to trim, and that's easy and enough. Look at the picture!

Attachments

• 2Tools.JPG
    2Tools.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 304

Nemia

I use a heavy pair of scissors and a simple corner rounder.

lilylilac

Right now I'm using nail clippers to round the edges of a deck, and every single one is coming out a different size, I don't suggest at all.

But, now that I've started, I might as well finish.

Carojulie

Superior quality scissors

Hi,

I am currently trimming several decks and I just made a discovery that I wish to share :

I have always used a good pair of scissors for trimming my decks and this pair is 100% reserved for trimming decks. I bought it last year brand new for trimming decks and it has never served other purposes (I hide it from my husbands and kids when not in use)
It is a generic brand of stationnery scissors, 25 cm long. I paid 9 euros for it at the office supply shop.
I always found it good for trimming, but after trimming dozens of cards, my finger start to ache a little.

Today I had the opportunity to use a Fiskars pair of scissor, 21 cm long.
It is MUCH BETTER. The blades are sharper, I can tell the difference when I cut, it is smoother and just plain better.

I still find 25 cm is better for trimming cards than 21 cm (longer blades : smoother movement, smoother edge for the card). But I admitt that this 21 cm Fiskar I have been lent today, is better than my 25 cm generic brand.

I have no actions or interest with Fiskars whatsoever ! I mention Fiskars because they are the ones I have tested today, but I bet it is the same for any quality brand (and they will always be more expensive than the generic ones I fear)

In my neighbouring office supply shop, the Fiskar 25 cm is 38 euros.
Much more expansive than my 9 euros generic brand, which is why, at first, I never considered buying the expensive ones when cheaper ones were available and looked exactly the same.
But now I think I will splurge at some point.

If you only trim one deck, a good generic scissor works well - it's better if it is new and it is better if the blades are long.
But if, like me, you trim many decks, I think it is worth it to get a superior quality pair of scissors.

Of course what I just wrote seems to be obvious, but I just made the experimentation myself today, and it does make a difference. I thought my brand new generic scissors, that I take good care of, was excellent, UNTIL I tested a better quality scissor. The difference is just obvious to me now.

I will buy the costly superior ones at some point I think (sight....)

rwcarter

Carojulie,

The blade on your generic brand may be duller than the blade on the Fiskars. The Fiskars is probably a higher quality metal which will stay sharper longer. There are blade sharpeners specifically made for scissors (I got one in a two pack of Fiskars scissors I bought). I'd suggest sharpening the blades on your existing scissors and see if they seem more comparable to the Fiskars. If they're still not even in the same league, then you tried.

Rodney

Carojulie

Hi Rodney,
Thanks for the advice, yes it makes sense to try sharpening the blades first.
I'll probably get the sissors sharpener before anything else. Even if it does not sharpen my generic scissors enough, it cannot hurt to have a tool like that in the home anyway, so it is not money lost.
Thanks !

FLizarraga

One quick tip --which I picked up here somewhere, I think: the only scissor sharpener I ever use is aluminum foil. It's dirt cheap, and it works like magic. After shredding half a sheet of foil, your dull scissors end up transformed into Excalibur. :)

gregory

One quick tip --which I picked up here somewhere, I think: the only scissor sharpener I ever use is aluminum foil. It's dirt cheap, and it works like magic. After shredding half a sheet of foil, your dull scissors end up transformed into Excalibur. :)
Might have been from me.... I do that !

FLizarraga

Might have been from me.... I do that !

Probably, yeah! :)

Don't you love it when the scissors start getting that murderous shine? I feel like Jack the Rippah! šŸ˜ˆ