Could readings go wrong?

Kitichi

The cards don't come up wrong, you, I, they, all interpret them wrong at times.

Not wanting to start a conflict, but ... why can't the cards come up wrong?

I've had some readings where, in hindsight, I clearly misinterpreted the cards. I've also had (less commonly) some readings where I think one or more cards were flat out not the right cards. Could they have been right, and I just needed to interpret them wildly differently from the interpretations that have worked best for me? Possibly, but in the cases I'm talking about here, applying Occam's razor says the cards were wrong.

I believe that when we prepare the cards (shuffle, mix, cut, whatever we do), that our energies are aligning the cards. Thus, if I'm off while shuffling (or distracted, or whatever), I can line up the cards wrong, just as easily as I can misinterpret the cards once I've pulled them and flipped them over.

Just as I don't see 100% accuracy in interpreting the cards, neither do I see 100% accuracy in pulling the cards. But I understand that others may have different interpretations of how/why the cards are drawn, and that may lead to different opinions.

Bottom line, I don't see anything wrong with kamya26 believing that a particular card was wrong, and not his/her interpretation of the card was wrong.

kamya26

Your words defy your logic. You say that you are not claiming to be a great Tarot card reader and could not bear failure, and still claim to be 90% accurate, which according to research on divination is impossible. The cards don't come up wrong, you, I, they, all interpret them wrong at times. You certainly come across as claiming to be one of the greatest of all Tarot readers after this clarification. People take their time to pay for Tarot in most cases realizing it has limited application, as life can change as we make changes to it. The one who should know this better than anyone is the one reading them! Don't go telling them that you are right 90% of the time when it's impossible...! You can't get each reading 90% right, guaranteed, each detail, every time.

None of the thing that I said defies my logic. I agree I can go misinterpreting the cards but what about a yes/no spread? The card that I got meant a strict no but the opposite happened in my client's life.

I don't go telling people that I am right or wrong . I never boast about my readings to anyone, I believe in letting others speak. However here I said this because I think in this forum we all are alike, looking to expand our horizons and learn from our and others mistakes and it was necessary to to let fellow tarot card readers know that how in one reading with most part being correct, only 1 answer came out wrong.

I am just 5 months old in this practice , trying to learn , question and seek answers.

Kindly do not discourage me by being UNNECESSARILY very judgmental.

kamya26

Wow!! 90%?! I'm still working on being 50% accurate.....its going to take awhile. :D I can see your point in sitters losing faith in the cards when readings aren't accurate. I think most people aren't firm believers in tarot or psychics. I have had many paid readings that were not accurate. Then I have to ask myself..."Were they just wrong?" or "Was their reading correct, and the timing is off?"

But, most professionals will say that things just change.....nothing is set in stone.

Yes, I never had faith in my readings too until two of my clients call me and tell me how much it came true and they wanted another reading. It was then that 1 of told me that how she got a job even when my cards said that she would not get a job. But rest whatever I told her came out true. I am so happy.

This forum is a great place to learn. I spend most of my time reading blogs on tarot, it really works!!

I agree with the last part "nothing is set in stone" ;) Thanks.

kamya26

I've had some readings where, in hindsight, I clearly misinterpreted the cards. I've also had (less commonly) some readings where I think one or more cards were flat out not the right cards. Could they have been right, and I just needed to interpret them wildly differently from the interpretations that have worked best for me? Possibly, but in the cases I'm talking about here, applying Occam's razor says the cards were wrong.

I believe that when we prepare the cards (shuffle, mix, cut, whatever we do), that our energies are aligning the cards. Thus, if I'm off while shuffling (or distracted, or whatever), I can line up the cards wrong, just as easily as I can misinterpret the cards once I've pulled them and flipped them over.

Just as I don't see 100% accuracy in interpreting the cards, neither do I see 100% accuracy in pulling the cards. But I understand that others may have different interpretations of how/why the cards are drawn, and that may lead to different opinions.

Bottom line, I don't see anything wrong with kamya26 believing that a particular card was wrong, and not his/her interpretation of the card was wrong.

I am so glad you shared this. Believe me the same happens with me sometimes as well. Sometimes I get cards which seem to have absolutely no relation with the question. Maybe it was a message for client which I could have given to him by interpreting differently but no matter how much I try it sometimes doesn't work.
I think you rightly pointed out to the energy aligning the cards. Because this is frequent only when I am not concentrating fully!

Glad I am not alone :D . Thank you

gregory

Oh, come on, AW - if 90% of it worked out in terms of what was said, what happened, and the sitter's response, isn't it fair enough to say that a reading was 90% accurate on this occasion ?

Picking nits isn't very productive. (Unless you really HAVE nits... :bugeyed:) This was - as it turns out - a more reasonable question than it at first appeared.

Stark Raven

Perhaps the cards can be wrong. But how do we know? Maybe something happened at that very moment to change the outcome.

tarotbear

As Tarot readers, if don't 'believe' the 'accuracy' of the cards - then reading them is a waste of time and we should be using our tarot decks to play poker instead!

If you don't believe the cards are accurate - or COULD be - or SHOULD be - what is the purpose for being a reader?

I have included the rules for Tarot Poker:

Attachments

• Tarot Poker 2003.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 109

Stark Raven

Oh, come on, AW - if 90% of it worked out in terms of what was said, what happened, and the sitter's response, isn't it fair enough to say that a reading was 90% accurate on this occasion ?

Picking nits isn't very productive. (Unless you really HAVE nits... :bugeyed:) This was - as it turns out - a more reasonable question than it at first appeared.

I'm hearing you, and I suppose that we'll never know if 'one or two cards are wrong' or if something outside of that changed things for a different result. Maybe another situation of which the results would affect that situation were recently changed, or at that moment changed. My real point here is that it sounds strange to claim 90% accuracy, bogus like. And as already mentioned, how would you know? In some instances you would, with the sitters which return. Wouldn't the rest of the truth remain with those that didn't return? So let's look at it this way - you can be X% accurate with those customers who return, who tell you that it APPEARS to them that you are X% accurate. Then compare that with the ones that don't return for a true estimate.

And the thing you previously mentioned about a yes/no spread being inaccurate. That makes sense. It's my understanding that many questions cannot be answered yes or no. If you read the cards that pop up for multiple cards in yes or no spreads, they often say something akin to - "yes it wil happen if you do such and such". So if you remove that qualifier, the answer will appear false. This is not news, this is experience. It's something that you learn on the journey through Tarot. Nothing to do with accuracy.

Do I have enough faith to continue reading Tarot? Yes without a doubt; I trust how they fall. I can't worry about those sitters that I do not connect with to obtain the full picture from that layout. Do I have enough faith in Tarot to lay money on the table in a Tarot Poker game with tarotbear? No way...!

Stark Raven

None of the thing that I said defies my logic. I agree I can go misinterpreting the cards but what about a yes/no spread? The card that I got meant a strict no but the opposite happened in my client's life.

I don't go telling people that I am right or wrong . I never boast about my readings to anyone, I believe in letting others speak. However here I said this because I think in this forum we all are alike, looking to expand our horizons and learn from our and others mistakes and it was necessary to to let fellow tarot card readers know that how in one reading with most part being correct, only 1 answer came out wrong.

I am just 5 months old in this practice , trying to learn , question and seek answers.

Kindly do not discourage me by being UNNECESSARILY very judgmental.

You are certainly entitled to your point of view, but this is a forum, where freedom of speech is a good thing; and I wasn't out of line. You may find that when you quote erroneous accuracies, people will likely respond that way, at least one or two.

Kitichi

Perhaps the cards can be wrong. But how do we know? Maybe something happened at that very moment to change the outcome.

Right, we don't know. But like I said, there are cases when the most simple, and thus most likely, answer is that the card(s) was(were) wrong. Therefore, I don't think we should say that the cards don't come up wrong.

I do think it's rarer for the card to be wrong than the interpretation, tho.