8 of Wands: Flying upward or zooming downward?

stone_lotus

I'm talking about the RWS 8 of Wands specifically. But please chime in for any version.

Do you see these eight wands as flying up-up-up-and-away, or zooming downward to the earth? Changes the interpretation somewhat...... I have always seen them as having been shot UP, and sending forth communication and energy to parts unknown. Most interpretation guides seem to assume they are pointing downward, though. Thoughts?

Bonus question! How would you read 8 of Wands as advice? It's come up in this position for me twice lately. Take swift action? Do it as passionately as possible? Be impulsive? Send out as many e-mails and invitations to communicate as possible (I'm job-hunting)? Many thanks!

rwcarter

If you look at the other cards in the suit, the leaves are at the top of the wands. So that makes the wands in the 8 point down. They are nearing the end of the journey, not starting their journey. Other decks (the Robin Wood immediately comes to mind) clearly show the wands flying upward.

As advice, I'd see act quickly and decisively. Since you mention looking for a job, Anthony Louis in Tarot Plain and Simple says the 8W can represent a job offer.

Rodney

Thirteen

Swiftly crossing the distance

IDo you see these eight wands as flying up-up-up-and-away, or zooming downward to the earth? Changes the interpretation somewhat......
The 8/Wands image of flying "wands" often reminds me of that film of Henry V, the battle at Agincourt when the archers aim up their bows and the arrows go flying and then down and "Bam!" with all that energy, pierce right through armor. Which makes me think this: if I create a card using the image of those arrows flying up, it may *feel* as if they will rise and will never come down, and that I mean the card to indicate "rising up." But that picture is false. They are meant to come down. If they don't, then I lose the battle of Agincourt. If I take a picture of the arrows coming down, it may feel as if they have always been falling and always will and that I mean the interpretation to indicate a fall or an end...but I don't. They've flown quite a distance, very fast, and are heading down to a target.

The point is, those wands (arrows) aren't meant to break the bonds of Earth and fly—to indicate "rising up to a higher plane." Nor is the point that what goes up must come down and there is a fall coming. The point is to get those arrows from here to there *quickly*. The up and down does that in the most efficient way possible (i.e. using a arching shape and gravity to get that distance). So, even though the angle you see may give you a slightly different feeling about the card, the meaning (IMHO) remains the same. Either it's time to shoot those arrows (act swiftly) because if you do so now you'll gain your objective super fast...or watch out for incoming arrows (something is coming your was swiftly). Speed is the message, not going up or down.

Yes? Maybe? :) Great question by the way! Thumbs up.

Barleywine

There is a clue to this in the Pictorial Key to the Tarot, in which Waite says the flying wands "draw to the term of their course." I take this to mean they are nearing their destination after their "flight through an open country." To me, they are falling to earth and accelerating after reaching the top of their arc. On the other hand, if you look at the Gilded Tarot you get the impression they are ascending.

IndigoWaves

Do you see these eight wands as flying up-up-up-and-away, or zooming downward to the earth? Changes the interpretation somewhat......
I've always seen them as on their way up because of how the leaves/stems are leaning: The majority are bending downwards along the wands, making sense for upward flight and its related wind/drag effects.

db_RW-_Stabe_081.jpg
(RWS 8 of Wands)

nisaba

Do you see these eight wands as flying up-up-up-and-away, or zooming downward to the earth? Changes the interpretation somewhat......

Not really. Except in specific individual readings, I tend to see them as just "moving to fast".

Bonus question! How would you read 8 of Wands as advice?

You're moving too fast - put the brakes on. In a househunting situation, that might mean not taking the first place you get but looking a bit further. Perhaps there are terrible neighbours or other problems that you can't possibly know about until you move in.

stone_lotus

If you look at the other cards in the suit, the leaves are at the top of the wands. So that makes the wands in the 8 point down. They are nearing the end of the journey, not starting their journey.
Rodney

This makes sense. I can see it now visually, and of course, being at 8, they're closer to the end than the beginning.... Thanks for the insight!

The point is, those wands (arrows) aren't meant to break the bonds of Earth and fly—to indicate "rising up to a higher plane." Nor is the point that what goes up must come down and there is a fall coming. The point is to get those arrows from here to there *quickly*.

Spot-on, Thirteen! It's about the speed and the quickness, and can encompass all elements of the journey! I like that.

To me, they are falling to earth and accelerating after reaching the top of their arc.

Definitely makes sense, and of course the 8 is near 10, the end of the journey...

I've always seen them as on their way up because of how the leaves/stems are leaning: The majority are bending downwards along the wands, making sense for upward flight and its related wind/drag effects.

That's how I've always sort of intuitively seen them too..... They just LOOK like they're going up, right?! But the comments in this thread have given me some great perspective. Maybe it really can be read as both.

Except in specific individual readings, I tend to see them as just "moving to fast".

You're moving too fast - put the brakes on.

Well put. And great take on the Advice placement.

Strenght

I'm so glad that I found this great thread with interesting replies!
I tend to see the wands "in flight", not particularly going up or down, which would mean that the action is yet to be completed. These wands in flight have great energy and motion. 8W would advice to harness your energy because if you don't, the wands will fall all over the place and you will end up with lots of unfinished business and actually accomplish nothing. In a job hunt it may also show the need of swift communication (reply to messages quickly) but it also shows that you need to focus, center yourself and keep things in control. .. things get out of control easily with the energy of 8W.

Topaz_CharmTemple

Great responses above. I'd like to add my two cents...

I sometimes think of this card as the "all roads lead to Rome" card. There are multiple ways to go about something, but in the end, fate is inevitable. This isn't a negative card, but rather one of encouragement & empowerment. It's sort of saying, if you screw up, don't worry, because you have so many other options that will get you where you need to go. I find it to be a very speedy, energizing, giddy card. I can really "feel" the wands zooming toward their destination, and I know that if one falters & collapses, I still have more arrows in my quiver, as it were.

Thanks for the great question!