The Black Light BOTA

Darkmage

That's fantastic work. I love it, and now I want one. ;)

What kind of markers did you use?

Chronata

I am utterly and totally in love with this idea!

You did a superb job on these! Well done!

I have resisted buying the neon Sharpies for a while..but after seeing your amazing cards I may need to reconsider!

Babalon Jones

Now I want to color a black and white Tabula Mundi in neon :)
Another project! Someday...

mayan

Wow...those make the Albano-Waite look demure.

agviz

Some tips

Thanks again for the nice comments everyone. :)

I used a set of Sharpie Neon markers which are fairly easy to find. There are five colors to the set, but two colors can be used together to create additional colors like brown and purple. I had to buy an extra set or two because it took that much ink to cover all the cards. I also used two Stabilo Neon fine point markers to color the flesh tones because the Sharpie colors were too intense. They also came in a set, but I only used the 040 and the 054 mixed together to create the shades of flesh tones.

I didn't use any fixative spray; just markers. I had no problem with colors bleeding from the faces to the backs... but I did have occasional bleed through from the black markers used on the backs of the cards. Actually I went over the backs several times to get a deeper black, and went through a good number of wide-tip Sharpies. It took LOTS of scribbling.

For some of the patterns, it helped to lightly sketch a design on the cards with pencil and in a few cases with a compass. Then I'd fill in the colors, paint-by-number style.

The white border on the back was drawn with a paint pen after the black was applied.

If you create a black light deck, you'll obviously need a good black light to get the full effect. I have a 48" black light fluorescent tube positioned about 5' above the cards.

I've been hoping to do a box tutorial if I can just get around to it. There already are some tips on Aeclectic; some of which got me started.

rwcarter, I wish I could make you a deck! Actually, I hope to someday publish a black light deck with original artwork.

reall

that sound like a job for *experienced* artist!^^ lolz now i had to ask do you have DAacc if yes link please!:))) btw looking forward to see this deck on kickstarter!^^ ;))))

agviz

that sound like a job for *experienced* artist!^^ lolz now i had to ask do you have DAacc if yes link please!:))) btw looking forward to see this deck on kickstarter!^^ ;))))

Hi reall. What is DAacc?

Debra

Well this is totally cool.
I'm curious what the cards look like under normal light.