9 of pentacles and 2 of cups together

nisaba

The nine of pentacles is the immediate future and the two of cups is the outcome.

To me, that sounds as if they are never going to develop a balanced, even, healthy relationship until after they become self-sufficient rather than needy and clingy.

schwammyy

I really agree with this statement, someone who is self assured are more attractive, then someone who is needy. You become sucessful, meaning self assured, and a healthy relationship will follow.

Absolutely.

AzulParadiso

Wonderful interpretation. Thank you for your insight!! I saw it similarly I recently got these two cards together, and thought of it this same way as well.

A 9 of pentacles type relationship to me is one where people are relaxed, content, a little older, happy to have time alone and to visit each other (the bird flies in and out) and still keep a full life outside of their partner. Having a beautiful garden, physical comfort and a lover who spends time with you could be a wonderful type of relationship. It makes me think of a confident couple where each has security and are relaxed in themselves. The opposite to needy if you like. It also suggests to me that the physical side of the relationship is important to these people. Where they live, sleep, sit how they touch, what they eat, what they do together are important for this relationship to thrive. Living in a hovel, eating beans on toast with no time apart would make this pair miserable. Comfort and some independence and enjoying the pleasures of life are what come to mind.

If the two of cups is describing the feeling (love returned equally) then the 9 of pentacles is describing the shape and substance of how this manifests. I think of pentacles as real physical realities, actions and in relationships, commitments. I don't see that one negates the other. In fact if I saw a love reading with no pentacles I wonder if there's anything solid about this relationship. Yes they may have all this feeling but what are they going to do about it? But I'm an earth sign so seeing positives in pentacles is easy for me. But I don't think its too much of a stretch to see cups and pentacles as suggesting love and commitment.

Pique Dame

Resurrecting this old thread because I did a reading yesterday that was nearly identical. I had the 2 of Cups as near future and 9 of Pents as the outcome, so same cards but reverse positions. Also interesting to note is the 7 of Pents was the immediate future, so that could mean putting time and work into something (like yourself) to achieve the wholeness of the 9/P woman. With 2 of Cups as the near future ('near' meaning 3-6 months, 'immediate' meaning anywhere from now to 3 months from now), it seems to indicate a loving relationship is coming. But with the 9/P as outcome, perhaps it won't be a lasting one, since she's on her own in the end? Or it could be that if she puts in the necessary time and effort (7/P) first, a soulmate relationship will come (2/C) but she needs be careful to still maintain that independence and wholeness within herself (9/P) if she wants to stay in that relationship and not drive him away.

Grizabella

I haven't read all the replies, but just on first thought, it could mean bringing your shadow into healthy alignment with your persona. We all have a shadow side, but don't often become closely acquainted with it so that it can play a more conscious part in our lives.

The 2 of Cups is so often thought of as a soulmate card or a love match of other kinds, but I keep coming back to the caduceus at the top of the card and between the two people. This often gives the added meaning of a healing taking place between the two people, but in the case of the 9 of Pentacles/2 of Cups, my reading of it would be recognizing and incorporating your shadow into your persona in a healthy way or could point to the need to do that.

I think it could also point to integrating our yin and yang in a more balanced way.