A/t Herb Garden ?

celticnoodle

OOPS! the Star of David, is not an herb--it was a pattern! My mistake! I thought it an herb. gee, another one of my 'duh' moments. :laugh:

mingbop

Re the cough mix, as far as I mind it was just a straightfoward infusion with added honey and maybe a touch of brandy.
I have a lot of thymes, they grow well here, but orange is a new one on me too. Rosemary clings to life in sheltered spots only here, gentian wont grow cos the soil is too poor, and anything non or half hardy is a no-go.
Is sweet woodruff technically a herb ? I have a shady corner that needs filling & that is a nice plant.
I am wondering if I should have a formal herb garden in a shape or else just plonk some boulders along the path and plant a sort of herb border.

Eugenia Madora

This is a lovely idea. I really want to plant an herb garden again.
It will be a real learning experience to read about different areas.
I am in Southern California. My rosemary always turns into a monster bush. It is blooming right now. I also do well with lavendar, sages and thyme. I have had more of a culinary emphasis in the past but I would like to have a medicinal garden. I have been interested in having a knot garden. I think now is the time to start planning.

HearthCricket

I do envy those of you who can have one outside year round. Right now our yard, even the highest points, is mush! And we have more snow coming tonight. Lucky us! :( I have to take a walk outside and see what is growing. And what might get moved. Does anyone know what the smaller height herbs might be? Meaning anything a foot or lower? Mine grow to be about, oh, waist high, at least! I need levels!

celticnoodle

Eugenia Madora said:
This is a lovely idea. I really want to plant an herb garden again.
It will be a real learning experience to read about different areas.
I am in Southern California. My rosemary always turns into a monster bush. It is blooming right now. I also do well with lavendar, sages and thyme. I have had more of a culinary emphasis in the past but I would like to have a medicinal garden. I have been interested in having a knot garden. I think now is the time to start planning.
Oh wow! having a bush of rosemary would be lovely, I think! I so love the aroma of rosemary!!! :) you are fortunate, indeed.

hearthcricket said:
I do envy those of you who can have one outside year round. Right now our yard, even the highest points, is mush! And we have more snow coming tonight. Lucky us! I have to take a walk outside and see what is growing. And what might get moved. Does anyone know what the smaller height herbs might be? Meaning anything a foot or lower? Mine grow to be about, oh, waist high, at least! I need levels!
Yes, I agree with you HC, I to, am envious! the thymes don't get too tall, and are quite beautiful plants too--how about those for smaller height herbs?

HearthCricket

celticnoodle said:
Yes, I agree with you HC, I to, am envious! the thymes don't get too tall, and are quite beautiful plants too--how about those for smaller height herbs?

I am certainly willing to give it a chance! Last year I found out dusty millar grows very nicely in our yard, which will be my border. It isn't an herb, but I like the bluish colour and they really thrived and stay very low. I keep telling my husband that this is all experimental and that any given time if something isn't growing right or not the way I want it to, I might pull it up and discard it or replant it somewhere. This way he has been forewarned!!

mingbop

medium height ... chives, comfrey, evening primrose which I want !, mace , marjoram, hyssop. I like hyssop a lot.

Sophie

Hyssop is wonderful! A sacred herb since very ancient times.

Have you thought of marigolds too? They are great for colour in a herb garden, in salads and therapeutically either in infusions, facial tonic, bathwater or compresses (good for skin and for indigestion).

Sweet woodruff is in my Ortho's book of herbs, so it must be a herb :D. It smells lovely and it repels insects.

Tarragon is another pleasant herb, as is lemon balm - the latter smells delicious.

Milfoil

Having a love of herbs since being a teenager, I've always kept a few in the garden, trouble is, I forget to water them or feed them or weed or stuff so they either thrive or die poor things.

I determin to find more time from now on for the herb garden.

I do love wild herbs too though, each year I collect certain usefull wild herbs for use in the kitchen or for medicine etc.

Eugenia Madora

I have really enjoyed the thymes.
Some of the thymes can be planted in paths and then when you walk on them they release their scent.
My husband fell in love with a dusty miller. It is now a monster also, but he loves it!
I think we Southern Californians try too hard to grow plants that aren't suited to our climate. I'm trying to learn about the right plants and native species especially given our water problems.