Bohemian Gothic--Page of Swords

Thirteen

A young lady in a buttoned-up jacket, lace at the sleeves, braided hair gathered and tied up atop her head sits alone in a graveyard. It might be noon--or night with a very bright moon--either way, the one lamp in the yard is not lit. She gazes back over her shoulder at a stone angel with a sword. The Angel has his head on his fist, almost "Thinker" style, but more melancholy.

Between the style of the girl's tightly buttoned up jacket and the equilateral cross about her neck, she gives off a "soldier" feel. In the Victorian/Edwardian age, women's jackets often copied men's military uniforms, showing the age's worship of military heroes. Fitting a Page of Swords, she indicates with the jacket's style her own admiration of such heroes. The jacket, however, isn't totally soldier-esque; there is some flowery embroidery and lace. This, to me, hints that she is in between civilian and solider. Her glance over at the angel with the sword indicates that she's leaning towards being (or still learning how to be) a soldier. This fits for Pages, in my mind, new to the "court," still learning the ropes, still becoming what they will be.

I also like the Angel with the Sword making that connection between Air and Swords. It also suggests the Page's role of messenger (angels being messengers), and the connection between swords and intellect in it's "Thinkers" pose. However, the lamp isn't lit, the angel's sword is down, and both he and the girl are seated. These are warriors in waiting as it were.

Other thoughts on this Page of Swords?

ncefafn

This is my story about this Page of Swords: She's Abraham Van Helsing's assistant. He told her to meet him in the park near the graveyard, and she's kept her appointment, but he hasn't. Was the message really from Van Helsing? Why would he tell her to meet him at twilight instead of dawn? Either way, she's getting very antsy and is eager to go off and commit vampire carnage. She may just take off on her own any second now and open that tomb, to find ...

Thirteen

ncefafn said:
This is my story about this Page of Swords: She's Abraham Van Helsing's assistant. He told her to meet him in the park near the graveyard, and she's kept her appointment, but he hasn't. Was the message really from Van Helsing? Why would he tell her to meet him at twilight instead of dawn? Either way, she's getting very antsy and is eager to go off and commit vampire carnage. She may just take off on her own any second now and open that tomb, to find ...
You've been watching too many Buffy re-runs ;)

Alisa13

I like this card. To me it says "secretive". The moon hiding behind the unlit lamp, the fact that it looks like she is glancing backwards. The Angel with the sword = thought; therefore it looks like our young lady has "secret thoughts" It doesn't look like an equal armed cross but rather the traditional Christian cross which speaks of faith. The idea of believing in oneself but having second thoughts (hence the look backwards). I'm not sure if it is a graveyard; my first impression was a park (you know spies always meet in a park to exchange information!).
Alisa13

velvetina

i love the twilight colours in this card..I think she has something up her sleeve, this young lady. I also consider that the way the moon is concealed by the lamp-post is highly suggestive of intrigue.