Most useful two or three Tarot books

Sophie

My three "best & most useful" books - if I really must reduce them to three! - are:

- Kaplan's Encyclopedia
- Robert O'Neill's Tarot Symbolism
- Rachel Pollack's 78 Degrees of Wisdom.

But as Umbrae wrote in another thread...the best and most useful book is an actual pack of tarot cards!

Mimers

Well to be honest, the 'book' I refer to most is my own Tarot journals. I have a few now and I love going back and seeing what I wrote about different cards or spreads I have collected.

I also used Spiritual Tarot a lot while learning and Tarot for Yourself.

CandyApple

Well...lol. I can see I need to add a few books to my amazon wishlist.

The three I use right now are.

Tarot Made Easy
The Complete Idiot's guide to Tarot
And the Book that came with my decks.

Rhiamon

ya know, I have many tarot books and for the longest time, I have read, read and read some more and learning the meanings of the cards just wasn't clicking with me...FINALLY, I bought the workbook to the Sharman-Caselli deck, and the way she goes over all the Aces, all the 2's and so on, it's helping me remember the meanings! YAY :)

elviefae

1. "Living the Tarot" by Amber Jayanti
2. "Tarot for Your Self" by Mary K. Greer
3. "Super Tarot" by Sasha Fenton

Living the Tarot is my favorite. I threw Super Tarot in there because even though its a light book compared to the others something about it I really like.

I also like the books that are specific to the decks I own. The ones you could buy seperate from the decks.

Andy Kim

as regard 'usefulness'

1. Complete Book of Tarot Reversal (Mary K. Greer)
2. the Tarot : History, Symbolism, and Divination (Robert M. Place)
3. Art and Arcana (Ronald Decker)

well written, brief and informative.

Rosanne

I am going to cheat with three lists of three-
Qabalistic Tarot- Robert Wang
The Watkins Tarot handbook- Naomi Ozaniec
Tarot and Indivuation-Dr Irene Gad

The Tarot/History,symbolism,and Divination -Robert M PLace
Mystical Origins of the Tarot-Paul Huson
Art and Arcana-Ronald Decker

Tarot Symbolism -Robert O.Neill
Kaplans Encyclopedia/s
Seven Centuries of Poetry in English- Oxford/Edited John Leonard ;)

Each list of three compiled some of my Tarot Personalities :D ~Rosanne
..... :eek: and my bookcase keeps throwing at me while I type Robert Lawlor's Sacred Geometry and the Enclyclopaedia of Traditional Symbols by JC Cooper :party:

Malygris

My list is probably just a reflection of how little reading I have done on the subject recently:

"78 Degrees of Wisdom" - It must be over 20 years since I took this out from the library and read it. I really do think it formed the foundation for my understanding of the cards, and I must get hold of my own copy! I think it would probably be on the list no matter how many books I read. It's accessible but deep, and made me realise that the Tarot is about much more than just fortune-telling. It also got me reading Carl Jung and all sorts of interesting stuff.

"The Key to the Tarot" - I got this when I first bought the Rider Waite cards. Then it went missing, probably in one of my numerous moves, so I recently picked up the 'Revised and Updated edition' on a day trip to Glastonbury. It's shrunk! Maybe not a bad thing, as I remember that Waite was not a man to use one word when ten would do. Still, I wish I had the full version so I could decide what to skip myself. I know people knock this book, but its interesting to read the interpretations of the man himself, even if he does seem to be holding a lot back. (It's that Masonic thing, I guess...)

Geddes and Grosset (publishers) "Guide to the Tarot": I bought this about seven years ago in my local Co-op store (supermarket) for around £1.50. It doesn't even name the author! That's a shame; they have reason to be pleased with themselves as it's a great little introduction to the Rider Waite Tarot (much better for beginners than "The Key to the Tarot") which explains the symbolism of each card and gives divinatory meanings. It also gives a variety of spreads. A serendipitous find, it rekindled my interest, the same as coming across this site has now. :¬)

Bonnie

Three most influential books -

The three books that most influenced me are:

* "Tarot For Yourself", by Mary K. Greer
* "78 Degrees of Wisdom", by Rachal Pollack
* "Thursday Night Tarot", Jason Lotterhand (edited by Arisa Victor)

majah kahlana

Books I find Useful

So far by far the most easy to read, helpful book i have read on the tarot is The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Tarot. I have 2 copies and both are pretty well tabbed, labeled, highlighted, underlined and written in
I have a couple of others as well but Learining the Tarot doesnt discuss reversals very well so im not partial to it. I also found the section in The Solitary Witch's Bible by Silver Ravenwolf on the tarot quite helpful.
MK