faery books

Khatruman

Here's another one to throw in the mix:

Anna Franklin (Wiccan High Priestess, Celtic Fairy expert and co-creator of the Sacred Circle Tarot and the Fairy Ring Oracle) has written The Illustrated Encylopedia of Fairies which is only now available in the UK, (drat drat drat!!!) I really want this book because she is an authority of the cultural Celtic history of the fae. The synopsis on the Amazon UK site says:
Nearly 3000 separate entries in alphabetical order, ranging from the South African fairies Abtawa to the German dwarves Zwerge, make this book ten times as comprehensive as any other dictionary or encyclopedia of fairy names available. Unlike, say, British Goblins (Wirt Skie) and Fairies in Lore & Literature (Katherine Briggs) this book is fully international and covers all mythologies and folklore of the worlds cultural groups. The wealth of illustration adds to its justifiable claims of being THE book on the subject. A full bibliographical section also aids the reader to search and discover more on selected areas of interest within the subject.
I know I could probably order it internationally, but the price I think translates to around $30 or so, add in international shipping, and the wait period, and it's enormous. It should be coming out in the US soon, at least I hope so, otherwise I am writing to Ms. Franklin and asking, "What's up with that?? " :D

Jewel

Hey Khat, keep me posted on this book by Anna Franklin. I also want a copy of it!!! it is a MUST have for me.

Khatruman

Franklin book available at Amazon!!!

Jewel said:
Hey Khat, keep me posted on this book by Anna Franklin. I also want a copy of it!!! it is a MUST have for me.
Hey Jewel, just searched for the book at Amazon and IT'S IN!!!! I just ordered it! Do a search for Illustrated Encyclopedia Fairies and it will come up, plus it's 30% off, so go get it!! :D

Genna

Thank you,I ordered it too!Loved The Fairy Ring.
I was going to get Edain Mc Coy´s book too,but I didn´t,because a review says it advices you to work with the mortally dangerous Russian bannik,faery of the bath-house.I know so little about faeries,I must be able to trust the author,as I do with Anna a Franklin´s,Jessica MacBeth´s and Brian Froud´s books.
Maybe it´s wrong to skip this book because of one mistake,but it scared me.

Athara

Genna,

If it doesn't feel right, don't do it. It's good to trust your intuition, and maybe the Fae told you you shouldn't buy it... Try and ask them! :)

Athara

Genna

Thank you,Athara! :) I will ask them.

Alissa

I saw this thread and decided I couldnt resist the Franklin encyclopedia myself. :D

And, I imagine that means I'll own a Fairy Ring deck before the end of the year :D :D

Jewel

I also ordered the encyclopedia!

Genna I read the McCoy boy and really enjoyed it. The book does tell you to work certain faeries, it simply states how you may contact them or where you can find them. The bulk of the book deals more with the faerie realm in general. Personally, I really liked the book and would recommend it for those interested in faeries and wicca.

Genna

Thanks Jewel!I have a feeling I could have a lot of fun with this book,so I´m going to get it even if that single review was sour.

Jewel

Genna, I would love to hear what you think of the book once you read it. What I meant to say above, and was obviously thinking faster than I was typing, is that the book does NOT tell you work with any faeries ... it just tells you how to contact them if YOU wish.

Ohhhhh and my Amazon order with the Encyclopedia has been shipped "YIPEE!" ... I also ordered another faerie book so the shipping would be free ... you know how that is *LOL*. I will post the name of it and if it is any good when I get it and read it.