What would you not use tarot to read on...

214red

I am curious because i know some people use tarot to read on everything, down to a minute level.

I did when i got into the groove of tarot, spend a period of time reading for everything and anything. Slightly obsessively for a few weeks tarot was like a decision dice, i let the cards rule.

I am now sporadic in using my cards for advice, and when i do i sometimes ignore what they say. if i do a reading for a party i want to go to and the outcome is not good, if i really want to go i read for advice on what i should do tomake the pary more enjoyable.

There are a wealth of subjects i dont read for myself for, infact it would be easier to list what subjects i do read on.

i wonder what you would NOT read for? What do you think the cards are unsuitable for?

Nik

nisaba

214red said:
if i do a reading for a party i want to go to and the outcome is not good, if i really want to go i read for advice on what i should do tomake the pary more enjoyable.

If you are going to go to the party anyway, why do a reading for it? Curious ...

214red said:
i wonder what you would NOT read for? What do you think the cards are unsuitable for?

Well, mechanical problems in a car that's suddenly troubled, for a start ... I find cards are no good at that at all.

214red

nisaba said:
If you are going to go to the party anyway, why do a reading for it? Curious ...

Well, mechanical problems in a car that's suddenly troubled, for a start ... I find cards are no good at that at all.
sometimes i will ask what the party would be like, esp if an ex is there so i ask the cards.

i wouldnt ask about car mechanics either, but i am sure you understand what i was getting at...

thorhammer

*sigh* I keep trying to get my decks to tell me what to have for dinner . . . it doesn't work all that well :( And I'm not going to get all literal and try to use the Epicurean Tarot or whatever it's bloody called :mad: Other than that, I've asked some out-there questions and always get pretty good answers.

One memorable read (though not one of mine) was a response to a giveaway I was running here on AT. I had *hidden* a deck in my home and the person who could pinpoint the location to my satisfaction got the deck. I forget who it was - but someone saw that the wall near the deck was structurally unsound . . . and it indeed is a window that has been covered with alfoil and plywood! I gave her the deck - I figure anyone who can do a building inspection remotely by Tarot is damn good!!! LOL
214red said:
if i do a reading for a party i want to go to and the outcome is not good, if i really want to go i read for advice on what i should do tomake the pary more enjoyable.
I think this is eminently sensible. There comes a point where one must say, "I'm not going to let the cards rule my life" and I think that's about where the point lies. Your further question is a moderate compromise, I think - though I'd be inclined, if my mind was already made up to go, to phrase my original question in terms of "What can I expect at this party?" or somesuch.

\m/ Kat

Le Fanu

thorhammer said:
I forget who it was - but someone saw that the wall near the deck was structurally unsound . . . and it indeed is a window that has been covered with alfoil and plywood!

Amazing story. I wish Id thought of offering it out to AT members when I couldn´t find my mislaid decks for 20-odd years :D...

I don´t use the cards for day to day stuff; should I go to the party? Should I... whatever... Nothing against it, I just find that my intuition without the cards is pretty good so I just use that..

I use tarot for energies and thoughts and influences around me/ another person at any given time. Deeper stuff than day to day decision-making/yes or no things

214red

Le Fanu said:
I don´t use the cards for day to day stuff; should I go to the party? Should I... whatever... Nothing against it, I just find that my intuition without the cards is pretty good so I just use that..

i agree, i usually use it when i feel uneasy, i am still at the point i try and clarify why i feel that way (way too analytical). for instance when looking for new flats i saw one i loved instantly but had an uneasy feeling surrounding it. I made pros and cons lists etc but couldnt pin it down because i didnt think it was the flat itself. in the end i sat and asked myself specific questions. low and behold it wasnt the flat that my intuition was point at but my current landlord, and the company managing the new flat, once i worked this out i put steps in place to resolve it.

if i hadnt of clarified i would have missed out on a great flat, and an even better home.
Nik

PS loved the bit about plywood:)

Anna

There is nothing that comes to mind that I wouldn't read on. Probablly there are some things, and I will think of them later.

I have done readings that have helped me find lost keys, get through difficult work days, find out how an event will go, decide what to make for lunch (I don't do this everyday - it was an experiement to see if tarot could help you in the kitchen, and it most definitly can!), I have even used tarot to find a route out of a traffic jam!

But just to clarify: I don't do these readings because I'm dependant on tarot!!!

I do them to learn about the cards, because I like experiementing and pushing the boundaries, and probably most of all because I don't believe tarot is a sacred thing that we have to be in awe of and bow down too. I am in awe of it a lot of the time, but for me it is a working tool too. I am not a witch, but I know that witches use knives in their working and they are sacred ritual objects to be treated with respect..... but we also use knives to chop up tomatoes for a sandwich. That is how I think tarot should be too, and that is how I use it.

214red

Anna said:
I do them to learn about the cards, because I like experiementing and pushing the boundaries, and probably most of all because I don't believe tarot is a sacred thing that we have to be in awe of and bow down too. I am in awe of it a lot of the time, but for me it is a working tool too. I am not a witch, but I know that witches use knives in their working and they are sacred ritual objects to be treated with respect..... but we also use knives to chop up tomatoes for a sandwich. That is how I think tarot should be too, and that is how I use it.
i like they way you put this, makes sense...

I am a very anytime and anyplace tarot girl so i can identify with this

Alta

Like some others, I go through cycles as to intensity and frequency of use. I have never used them to decide what to have for lunch or for purely mechanical issues. But, no reason why not, I guess in my mind I don't pull out a card for something that needs to be dealt with otherwise. But have no problem with others doing it. :D

I don't use the cards to make small decisions, though I have in the past, as someone said above, for practise with the cards as much as anything. For myself, I tend to use them to explore issues (usually involving others) where I just can't figure things out. If people seem to be acting in unexpected ways and etc.

Alta

teomat

214red said:

Nik
I never read the cards about a health issue, particularly if it concerns close family.

One of my family members had a health problem which deeply upset me - still does in fact. For several weeks (around the time of their operation) I couldn't read the cards because I feared my underlying anxieties about the problem would come out in my readings (even if I was trying to read about something completely different).

If I couldn't focus on the issue at hand or found my thoughts drifting back to my family member while I was shuffling, I'd stop and put the deck away (and carefully avoid looking at the top card as I put it back in the box). And I still do it today (sounds a bit daft I know).

I think I prefer to be ignorant about some things...