Reading as a personal connection

Jeff0253

Just thought I'd report in: I'm back from the lunch and all went swimmingly. She did query me at length about my course on the paranormal (she's a Ph.D. in Psychology, but not militantly empirical). A friend of hers in grad school had done an MA thesis on telekinesis, so she'd always had a somewhat open mind about these things. She asked me whether I believe in the stuff we talk about in my class, and I of course said the usual: it's hard to discount thousands of UFO reports, cryptozoology is respectable science; MD's writing on NDE's abound, etc. She's way too smart to be so easily derailed though and said, "yeah but have you had any personal paranormal experiences?" I told her the truth, which is that the closest thing I'd had were the rather amazing synchronicities that arise from Tarot readings. Turns out she's "always wondered" about Tarot and we had a very friendly and open talk about the origin and symbolism of the decks and whatnot. Then when we were leaving she said, "can you actually read Tarot cards?" I told her I could do it, but not on a very high level; most of my readings tend to be based on scholarship and iconography rather than intuition. She arched an eyebrow at me, and we left it at that.

So all-in-all it went well, and I attribute that to you guys. She was the one who was asking about it, rather than me imposing it. Thanks again for being there for a fellow Tarot guy whom you don't even know. But maybe we are all alike in some ways, and your experience and good judgment on this made me feel comfortable the whole way through.

Jeff

nisaba

Sounds as though it went well.

Beforehand, all I was thinking was that if (and it's a big if) it were wise to produce a deck at all, you;d have to offer her a card-draw in the spirit of the Rorschach Test: talk about the images in terms of triggering the subconscious.

Jeff0253

Sounds as though it went well.

Beforehand, all I was thinking was that if (and it's a big if) it were wise to produce a deck at all, you;d have to offer her a card-draw in the spirit of the Rorschach Test: talk about the images in terms of triggering the subconscious.

Nisaba, it's funny, Rorschach tests came up as we were talking about cognitive psych. I didn't think to compare it to Tarot, but it's a very interesting thought. You learn something every day, eh?