Completionism

nisaba

Alta said:
gulp... right! I guess that I am a 'completionist' after all. :joke:
So list your cat-decks, Alta. Don't be shy. You're among fellow-addicts here, ni-i-ice and safe.

rwcarter

Alta said:
Debra said:
gulp... right! I guess that I am a 'completionist' after all. :joke:
Fortunately I'm immune to the cats. :D I only just got the Tarot of the Cat People in July or August and that was only because it was the deck/book set from USG that goes along with the other 15 of that packaging type that I already have.... And I feel no desire to start a cats sub-collection. :angel:

Rodney

nisaba

sub-collections

nisaba said:
The named-artists sub-collection: Klimpt, Bosch, the Tapo-Durer, Brueghel, da Vinci Enigma, and I know there's another one, it's just evading my tongue at the moment. Stacks on the list - I definitely haven't been de-enabled on the Gauguin despite the sterling work of you and a bunch of others in That Other Thread.

The Scapini collection: More waiting to be bought, but the Vetrate (which kick-started this one by being gorgeous), the Lukumi, the Sibilla 800, the Mediaeval (the supposedly muddy version), and the Cary-Yale Visconti which he worked on, kicking off ...

The Visconti collection: the Cary-Yale, the Lo Scarabeo Gold Foil, the Lo Scarabeo mini, the Piedmont, and more to come as time and budget permits.

And now - the bloody signed-and-numbered-limited-edition one which, apparently, I've been unconsciously working on for a while (thanks, Rodney!).
I've also identified, just a few minutes ago, a sub-collection of Worst Cardbacks In The World, and thought I should list other sub-collections like decks with gilded images or edges, Australian decks, and mini-decks (three, so they just scrape into the "Collectors" definition of a collection).

So we have a grand total of EIGHT identified sub-collections, making a nineth, the sub-collection of sub-collections. Meta-collections are collections, too!

Nine is a sacred number.

I'm happy.

greycats

I get spells of completionism, especially when there's not a lot going on. No fabulous new deck in the offing. That sort of thing.

I might discover I have to get only two or three more decks to finish off a sub-group. Or I might spy a new and very slightly different version of a deck I like. Or when I see an oop copy of a deck that's in way better condition than the one that I own, I feel like I have to upgrade.

I do have a budget for tarot and it keeps me in check, but these bouts of completionism keep me from saving up for a really fine deck.

Most of the time, though, I don't care. ;)

Libra8ca

I just read this thread and realized I suffer from MRP deck completionism. It appears to be contagious; I think I caught it from someone here :D ... and I don't think there is a remedy yet :(

Cerulean

Hmm....

...I need to check, but the Simply Tarot title has been used so often and there might be at least three different decks that illustrate the same text. I may be wrong, but I thought I saw similar text for the B & N New Century; the Barnes and Noble Tarot and the same title for a book with an orange cover by the same author--but a different set of deck illustrations?

[*]Thoth (but only partially)

...Someday I'll have to try to find out about your Thoths! The light blue bordered ones are my favorite old style...I'm only partially up on all the different versions out there...

For some reason, at a glance... undocumented Lo Scarabeo sets I have come to mind...
...Elissabetta Trevisan's different versions come up in 22 majors, 78 cards larger and smaller, a book/deck set in Italian, etc....
...Giorgio Trevisan's postcard version of his 22 card set, majors only sets and 78 card sets in two sizes...too many versions of the Alba Dorata/Golden Dawn/Hidden Folk.

At some point I wondered if I wanted all the Oswald Wirth take-offs there were out there or all the Etteilla variations, but I decided one or two in each language is fine for me.

Although now that I am confessing, I do own a LS Pagan Magical Kit I bought at a discount because I suspected and gleefully found a color book that included the LS Pagan Tarot and the Pagan deck (Gina Pace) itself with beautiful blue borders and a different playing card size...and I also own a mini Pagan Tarot and the Pagan Tarot cards in standard size with the Gina Pace book as packaged in the "Pagan Tarot kit".

So I am selectively addicted to using playing card size tarot decks...these seem to find the most play by me, especially now.

Nice to meet you, sir!

Cerulean

P.S. Tarots in a tin seem to march to my door post-haste as well.

Floss

Sanctum_Priest said:
It's an OCD -- we need help!

Nup - if it was OCD, he'd never be on the forum because he'd be too busy taking each card out of it's box, counting them, putting them in order, putting them back in the box, every day, every hour on the hour ... !!

nisaba

<blissfully>

My completionist tendencies are being catered for! Just received an erotic deck, the Decameron, raising my erotics from two to three, making a new sub-collection! Two hits with one acquisition - a new deck and a new sub-collection - I am in bliss.

moderndayruth

Not sure why i got to this thread just now - but i thoroughly enjoyed reading the whole thing! :D

MareSaturni

rwcarter said:
I know I can't be the only Completionist on Aeclectic. Completionists, stand up and be counted!

You know Rodney, i have a bit of a Completionist in me too ;)

You should talk to Le Fanu, because i know he's a huge completionist as well!!! Not to mention he has a huuuuge collection, just like yours ;)

I think i'm not a tarot completionist mainly for monetary reasons, lol! And for storage reasons, as well. As much as i love many decks and artists, i can't go buying whatever suits my fancy - not just because i'm a student or because i come from a poor family (which i don't) - but because most of decks are published in the US and in Europe, which makes my access to them difficult.

Buying a limited edition, for instance, is nearly impossible. Because i have to think about the price of the deck, the shipping, and how much it would cost in brazilian money. That requires me to save money, and when i finally have the money...LE is out of stock forever.

When the deck is European, it's even worst. Euro is an extremely expensive money. And a price in Pound Sterling makes me not buy a deck (nothing against my fellow English ATers, but it's just the truth).

Importing isn't easy.

So i have to wait until the deck, for some miracle of destiny, arrives in a local store. But i just found out my favorite bookstore is not importing new decks for the time being. Eek. And this was the only bookstore that sold imported decks for a decent price. All other shops and stores overvalue the price of the decks, selling them for more than R$100 (~US$48). It doesn't matter if the deck is a Morgan-Greer or a Arcus Arcanum.

The point is, to be a completionist, you have to be realistic about your financial situation, and know how much you can actually spend on this hobby. As much as i think the Victorian Romantic is awesome and beautiful, it's way out of my budget range.

I hope you're not thinking i'm bitter - i'm not. I love my collection and i think i did a wonderful job at finding nice decks over the year. I can certainly thank many AT friends for that! I'm speaking here as a potential completionist who has to control her tarotholic impulses ;). I'm sure i'm not the only one here in this situation!