Massachusetts Metaphysical Shops?

3ill.yazi

I'm unclear which forum to put this in, so admins please move accordingly.

I happen to be going to the Cambridge, MA area this week and expect to have some time on my hands. Can anyone familiar with the area recommend any metaphysical/new age/occult shops in the Boston-Cambridge-Brookline area that might exist for tarot shopping? If there are any.

tarotbear

Since you are in western MA - have you ever been to Awentree in Easthampton? No idea what's out in the Boston area ...

3ill.yazi

I have not yet. I'm kind of spoiled out here what with three shops in my immediate area. I just wondered if the big city had anything while I was out killing time.

Dara

In cambridge, there is a shop called the Seven Stars. Its on the main road in Central Square. Theres a pretty awesome collection of stones there for a reasonable price! There is a wall of tarot cards as well, although it is behind the counter. The workers there are very helpful and accommodating though so they will gladly hand you the tarot boxes to look at.

I'm not sure of what else is around, I've only been looking around just this past month. I would also like to know of more if someone else knows of other places. :)

3ill.yazi

I contacted Seven Stars. They don't have the decks I've my eyes on, but I may still check them out. Thanks!

tarotbear

Be sure to rate any shops you go into! LOL! (Not that I drive to Boston very frequently...)

3ill.yazi

Well, I made it to Seven Stars. They didn't have a ton of tarot cards - more than say a Barnes and Noble but less than some of the western Mass shops. They had the standard Waite variations and the more recent LoS decks, but nothing that stood out for this repro fan. And they didn't seem terribly knowledgable about tarot -- they weren't sure what I was talking about when I asked if they had Tarot de Marseilles style decks. (Which they had, but ones I already own)

But they were very nice and helpful.

What they did have was a TON of books, including more than two shelves devoted to Tarot. I snapped up Dusty White's latest book and Rana George's book on Lenormand.

They had shelves upon shelves of stuff. Whole bookcases each devoted to Golden Dawn, Wicca, Celtic stuff, I Ching, Buddhism, Kabbalah ... Just astounding. Had easy nearby parking.

So while I wasn't exactly wowed by the tarot selection, which was dwarfed by their crystal collection, I would definitely recommend them.

Babalon Jones

Can you post something about the ones you frequent in Western MA? I get out that way sometimes, and actually am going to visit a brewery there this weekend.

3ill.yazi

Can you post something about the ones you frequent in Western MA? I get out that way sometimes, and actually am going to visit a brewery there this weekend.

I've not been to Awentree in Easthampton, but I'm told they are great. There are also shops in Shelburne and Greenfield. I haven't been to either in a long time, but I don't recall a big tarot selection.

Northampton is where the tarot stuff is at. In the village of Florence, there is Groundings, which has a huge tarot card selection, and some Lenormand. Friendly.

In Northampton proper, there is Inspirit Crystals, which has some tarot books and a revolving kiosk or whatever you call it of tarot and oracle cards. Pretty good selection -- only place in town selling the Madenie Tdm if that's any guide, but they lose points from me for wasting limited shelf space with a ton of Doreen Virtue decks. Sorry, that's my bias: I just think there are other decks that could be hitting the market instead of yet another angel deck.

Where I've gone most often to buy decks is the Mercantile, which has stores in Northampton and Amherst. Not a metaphysical shop, more a purveyor of odd imports and funky stuff that tourists and college kids get. Kind of like a head shop without the drug paraphernalia if you get me. But they have a case of tarot cards, standard LoS and USG titles, in an amount that rivals the metaphysical shops. I go there because they frequently have sales. I've almost never purchased a deck full price because of them. I'm talking 25-40 percent off sometimes. They have put big coupons in the local free weekly paper the Advocate too.

Those are the ones I frequent.

If I had limited time visiting from out of town, I would do Groundings. The order of preference after that depends on if you are just going for tarot, or other stuff.

tarotbear

Awentree sells my books and decks! :cool2: www.awentree.com

Easthampton is only the next town over from Northhampton. Nice little shop with something for everyone; Winnie the owner is also a Reiki Master.