Reading as a personal connection

Jeff0253

So tomorrow I'm having lunch with our new Dean of Arts and Sciences--she's technically my boss, and I've known her since the beginning of October. The lunch was her idea. I'm thinking of bringing my Tarot deck along and asking her to pick a card, just to see what happens. Think it'll help form a nice personal connection? Or is it too risky?

nisaba

How well do you know her? How open is she to non-academic things?

Jeff0253

I don't know her personally that well, but we've developed a super working relationship. She knows I teach a course on the paranormal. I like her a lot though, and she seems to like kidding around with me (she's usually pretty stern with most others).

headincloud

Hi Jeff I'm smiling at the scenario of the lovers being pulled :)

Apollonia

My advice, in a nutshell: She is your (new) boss. Keep it professional and keep your cards to yourself. IMO this a really bad idea. In this scenario, you could so easily come off as a flake, a nut job, or just someone who is arrogantly presuming to tell her something about herself.

What would you possibly gain from doing this? Bond over movies, similar tastes in music, bad puns, anything but something so personal and liable to stereotyping or misinterpretation of your character or intentions.

And are you fully prepared to tread water if the card isn't one of the more fun ones? "Oh, okay, it's The Devil, hmmm, I mean, well there are just so many great interpretations of this card, cough cough..."

Chimera Dust

I don't think you should this.You don't know much about her stance on Tarot other than the fact that she doesn't hate you off the bat just because you teach a course on the paranormal. She might have no interest in the Tarot or it might be against her personal beliefs. And what happens if you pull a card that is mostly negative in that context? Are you going to be dishonest with her? Is she going to be upset by it?

If you want to bond with her, bond about interests you might have in common. It's fine to bring up the subject of Tarot and let her make that decision for herself.

pandap

Yes, have to agree with the others. I don't think it's a good idea. Could backfire something chronic!

Jeff0253

Thanks SO much all. You make really good points! I'm pretty new to Tarot, so you're right, I'd have to scramble if she drew a bad card. I got just what I needed from the forum here: people with long personal experience of being involved in Tarot looking at all the social implications. I think I'll wait and if the time seems right, do what Chimera suggested--mention Tarot and then let that lead where it may.

Glad I asked :)

Jeff0253

"Oh, okay, it's The Devil, hmmm, I mean, well there are just so many great interpretations of this card, cough cough..."

This is hilarious (wouldn't be if it really happened :)

Jeff0253

Hi Jeff I'm smiling at the scenario of the lovers being pulled :)

That thought had actually crossed my mind too--upon reflection it might be worse than having The Devil crop up, lol.