First tarot deck!

Jeff0253

I tried searching "deck interview" but all it told me is that "deck" is too short a word for it to search :) Can someone point me to a post that tells how to do a deck interview?

Thanks,

Jeff

Curious Dragon

For some reason I can't paste a link, but if you go to the Tarot Spreads sub-forum and click on Tarot Spreads Index, you'll find a few deck interview spreads in the second post. Also, there's a thread for one of the spreads near the top of the sub-forum.

Pam O

I tried searching "deck interview" but all it told me is that "deck" is too short a word for it to search :) Can someone point me to a post that tells how to do a deck interview?

Thanks,

Jeff

For some reason I can't paste a link, but if you go to the Tarot Spreads sub-forum and click on Tarot Spreads Index, you'll find a few deck interview spreads in the second post. Also, there's a thread for one of the spreads near the top of the sub-forum.
I went to "Tarot Spreads", then "Search this thread" using "advanced" mode, then searched for "interview". Here are the results:
http://www.tarotforum.net/search.php?searchid=5029005

Here you will find some "new deck interviews" to check out. :)

Hemera

Congrats on your new deck :party:
You can find several New Deck Spreads in our Taror Spreads Index. Scroll down to post #2.

I often start with every new deck by listing and counting things: men vs. women, old people vs. young, list of plants in the deck, list of animals, list of all kinds of fun things (jewellry, maps, vehicles...), list of colors, stage cards, portals (doors, passages etc. leading to another place). And of course I list the cards that are my favorites and the cards that I like the least.

Chimera Dust

Congrats, and welcome to the forum!

I don't know how much previous experience you've had with the Tarot, but I like to start using a new deck with a deck interview spread. There's no particular reason behind it, it's just that when I get a new deck I don't always having reading ideas so it's a simple, low-pressure way to see how much I click with that deck. You can find some examples in the spreads index here on AT. There are also some fun spreads you can try, like Majors-only spreads, that aren't on particularly important subjects so they can be good for practice.

Citrin

How exciting! :D

If I started to learn tarot today, knowing what I know from experience, I would personally choose to do one carders in the beginning and mix it up with exercises from a good tarot book. I really like the exercises in the book "Psychic Tarot" by Antenucci. I've heard great things about White's "The easiest way to learn the tarot... Ever!" (or something like that lol long title) and would get that also if I was a newbie now. Exercises that make your intuition stronger are a great way of starting out.

You should also think about what will keep YOUR interest up and what makes you learn better. Some people really develop while playing around, doing a bunch of readings for feedback, meditating on the cards, just using them ya know? While others are more of the "student" type that need to write about the cards, understand their system by consulting different books, memorizing some keywords to each card... There's no wrong or right way of learning, so you'll need to figure out yourself what your learning style and tarot style is. :) Good luck and have fun!!!

Kobarot

Congratulations!

I usually just rifle through the whole deck first to look at all the images. I like Hemera's attention to detail: counting and sorting people, plants, recurring themes, etc. I might have to take an afternoon and do that with with my decks!

I also like to pull a short "deck interview" spread. Usually just "how would you describe yourself?" "what kind of approach do you like?" and "what kind of approach do you not like?"

I have yet to decide if these spreads are helpful with me "clicking" with a deck or not, or if they even accurately mirror my experiences with them. It's just fun to have something to read right away. :) Because generally it's USE that determines my relationship with a deck.

nisaba

would it also help if I also go through each card, just to see how they look like, what feelings I get from them? I'm not going to ask anything yet I just want to "get to know" the cards.
<smiling> Absolutely. That's a natural part of the learning process.

Another thing, I have my very old set of tarot cards (the cardboard kind that I ripped out of a magazine) they have a very special place in my heart and I don't want to get rid of them.
Gosh! What deck is it? What magazine was it? Do you have a scanner - can you show us?

What does everyone do with their old tarot decks?

Keep 'em! And use 'em from time to time. You're at the beginning of a long journey in Tarot as a reader and a collector - enjoy!