Ace of Cups(YAY!), 3 of Swords(BOOOO...)

Fostha

pasara said:
No, this isn't what 3 of Swords is all about. Actually, I seldom have found this meaning come up in actual readings I've done. Where I usually begin with this card is the idea of the core truths being communicated. Sometimes those truths are revealed through words spoken that previously had not be expressed, sometimes through the pain someone or something caused in our life that we now have to deal with. Sometimes these truths are that someone has betrayed you or hurt you in some way, but more often it is just that by getting to the core of a matter we are no longer protected by all our protective layers of denial, deflections, defense mechanisms, etc. Instead our openness leaves us fully vulnerable.

If you look at it as a progression from the 2 of Swords, you see that the peace of the 2 was maintained by not choosing a course, by holding things at bay, detente, keeping the peace but without movement. Often the image of the 2 includes a blindfolded figure. Eventually to go forward you have to choose which way you're going to go, and that will make you have to face something, and leave something behind. After the 3 comes he 4, our chance to regroup, heal from our wounds, and consider what we have learned so far.
I like what Pasara says here. For me,3 swords is a rather positive card,as I know that when it shows up in a reading,theres hurt on the horizon(and intuition always warns first and foremost IMO,hence the reasons for the reading),important betrayals/lies/deception need to be dealt with,and probably in a verbally brutal way,and not necessarily of a romantic kind either. When people take advantage of a good heart (ace cups) you need to expect a bit of heartache after.(3swords)

eyeDEEclaire

pasara said:
No, this isn't what 3 of Swords is all about. Actually, I seldom have found this meaning come up in actual readings I've done. Where I usually begin with this card is the idea of the core truths being communicated. Sometimes those truths are revealed through words spoken that previously had not be expressed, sometimes through the pain someone or something caused in our life that we now have to deal with. Sometimes these truths are that someone has betrayed you or hurt you in some way, but more often it is just that by getting to the core of a matter we are no longer protected by all our protective layers of denial, deflections, defense mechanisms, etc. Instead our openness leaves us fully vulnerable.

If you look at it as a progression from the 2 of Swords, you see that the peace of the 2 was maintained by not choosing a course, by holding things at bay, detente, keeping the peace but without movement. Often the image of the 2 includes a blindfolded figure. Eventually to go forward you have to choose which way you're going to go, and that will make you have to face something, and leave something behind. After the 3 comes he 4, our chance to regroup, heal from our wounds, and consider what we have learned so far.

You might enjoy perusing the 3 of Swords section in the Table of Contents at the top of the Using Cards forum. There are several threads there on this card and the variety of ways people interpret it. If you look at any card with just one very specific manifestation of its meaning you may get frustrated in your readings.

Thanks for explaining it that way(the progression from the 2)! That makes more sense. When I decided to start using tarot again, I referenced the Learn Tarot site alot because it was easy to navigate and that is where I got a strong impression of "backstabbing" which I pretty much equate to lies.
I love that this site has discussions with people sharing their insight. I will check out those threads you mentioned! Thanks, again!

eyeDEEclaire

Fostha said:
I like what Pasara says here. For me,3 swords is a rather positive card,as I know that when it shows up in a reading,theres hurt on the horizon(and intuition always warns first and foremost IMO,hence the reasons for the reading),important betrayals/lies/deception need to be dealt with,and probably in a verbally brutal way,and not necessarily of a romantic kind either. When people take advantage of a good heart (ace cups) you need to expect a bit of heartache after.(3swords)

Oh, wow...that last line is like the story of my life! And not just my love life(or lack thereof)! I hope I can come to view it as positive! I mean, I'd definitely rather know the truth than to continue believing falsities...but the heartache part is always dreaded!
Thanks, Fostha! I always like reading your posts on various threads!