Cat pissed on my deck how can i save it.?

Awakened Queen

I would take it as a sign that the deck has served its purpose and it's time for a new one. I have a cat. He pees on things. Sometimes I'm able to save them. Many times I have to throw them away. If Bosco peed on my deck, I would throw it out and buy a new one :)

However, if you want to try to get the pee out. There's a product called Urine Destroyer by Nature's Miracle. I have a huge container of it.

Mi-Shell

I have the feeling, the cat is not only old and so it happened, but he is also displeased with you being stressed.
- Mom and the situation with that comes to mind.
So he "messed" with something he is used to you doing - spending time with cards at quiet moments - to show his general displeasure......

VGimlet

Unfortunately cat piss is one of those things that is nearly impossible to get rid of.

One of my cats was known for his urinary output. He'd get infections always around the holidays - but he would also without fail mark the wheels of our friend's Porsche. (It was quite funny to everyone but the friend, LOL).

Paper, mattresses, cloth, wood - no saving them, sadly. Never found anything that REALLY permanently got rid of the lovely eu de cat fragrance from adults cats. And I once soaked a wood floor in enzymatic cleaner, as an experiment....

Grizabella

I've always been a dog person by preference. I've had cats and some of them I loved a lot. Kittens are always cute, but I'm not crazy about adult cats as a rule. I absolutely abhor cat litter boxes and the smell of their spraying. And even though anything is worth a try to save a deck that's been "anointed", there's still not much hope of obliterating the smell entirely.

INIVEA

I learned a hard lesson with my book getting peed on. If it wasn't an expensive book, It would've gone in the garbage.

What will help you to prevent this from happening again is keep your decks away from kitty and spray your reading area with grannick's bitter apple (yes the lable says for dogs) but works on kitties too, they hate the smell. Dogs and Kitties smell before the go.

hope this works for you

Holly doll

A long shot here - have you tried to seal the edge of the cards with a sharpie or ink? The pee may have got into the card stock at the edges rather than the card face, so if you cover the edges, it might "paint the pong in" if you know what I mean...

jolie_amethyst

A long shot here - have you tried to seal the edge of the cards with a sharpie or ink? The pee may have got into the card stock at the edges rather than the card face, so if you cover the edges, it might "paint the pong in" if you know what I mean...

Anything other than cat pee, I'd agree with trying this. Unfortunately neither Sharpie nor ink will cut it. The only thing I've ever found to seal in cat pee smell is Kilz oil based paint primer. And it takes multiple coats, not just one (plus, don't miss any spots!) Varnish, clear sealant, regular paint, even Kilz acrylic primer--nothing else works. The smell seeps through...been there, done that, have the sealed floorboards & even sealed concrete basement floors to prove it. :joke:

Cat pee should be classed as toxic waste. I swear only radioactivity is harder to get rid of.

jolie_amethyst

It sure is ;) Put a UV light over it & cat pee will glow!!! :bugeyed:

LOL...so will Coca Cola! (OK, and most other body fluids from most critters.)

I have wondered how well sealing card edges would work before any sort of contact with spilled liquid. I tend to be the type of person who always has tea on my desk regardless of what I'm doing. I bought a sealed, splash resistant keyboard after ruining more than a couple over the years. So being able to even partly seal those edges seems like a good idea.

Not that it would prevent what happened here, but for other kinds of spills? Might work?

Morwenna

I also deal with cat pee; our older boy can get rather weird sometimes. Nature's Miracle is the best stuff I've found yet, though it may not be perfect. It is supposed to discourage them from using the same spot, but he does go back to some of the same spots. :( I'm talking about our ill-finished wood floors. He got a visitor's bag of gaming books once (who left it with us because it's where we had been gaming), and I ended up replacing the books for him. He got some of my fabric too; I'm in the process of washing the pieces a few at a time in Nature's Miracle; it'll probably take a few times.

So I do NOT leave books or decks or anything vulnerable on the floor anymore!! I'm running out of high surfaces though...