How do you know when you're done shuffling?

teleriprincess

I'm having an unexpected difficulty in shuffling. I can shuffle for ages and ages and ages without ever getting a feeling that the deck is the way it is supposed to be for the reading. It never feels "right", you know? I ended up getting tired of shuffling and tried pulling a spread anyway, and it came out totally garbled. Unsurprising to me because I personally feel like the shuffle is of pivotal importance to the reading. Diagnosis? What indicates to you guys when a deck is shuffled "just right"?

rwcarter

I don't worry about it feeling "right". I (shuffle 7 times then cut and reassemble the deck) three times and I'm done. I'd suggest picking a number you like and shuffling that many times. The source of your tarot skills will come to know to arrange the cards you need to see in the proper order so they come up withing that number of shuffles.

Rodney

teleriprincess

I don't worry about it feeling "right". I (shuffle 7 times then cut and reassemble the deck) three times and I'm done. I'd suggest picking a number you like and shuffling that many times. The source of your tarot skills will come to know to arrange the cards you need to see in the proper order so they come up withing that number of shuffles.

Rodney

Thanks! I was thinking of doing a set number shuffles each time, it just felt a little artificial to me at first consideration. I will try this and see if it helps.

rwcarter

There's a post/thread somewhere around here that says it takes 7 shuffles to properly randomize a deck. So make sure your number is at least 7. If you pick cards from a fan instead of taking cards from the top of the deck, then number of shuffles isn't as important.

MissNine

Sometimes I don't concentrate on the question the whole time I'm shuffling and the cards won't come together for a while. Also, sometimes I forget to breath well and need to do some better exhaling.

When I shuffle, I concentrate on the question. And when I feel the cards all getting in the right place (no jumpers or cards feeling misaligned) i I know they are ready.

teleriprincess

I definitely have noticed when I am not focused enough, but even when I am, I still have trouble...

I did a couple of draws after shuffling 8 times, and they came out pretty well. I didn't really like my method of shuffling though because I felt it left unmixed "packets" of cards and it seems highly likely to damage my cards. So I decided to try something that rwcarter mentioned in my other thread about breaking in new decks, and that was dealing them into piles. So I did a spread where I dealt into 8 piles, and stacked them according to preference (all while thinking about what I wanted to learn with the spread). I then drew each card while thinking about the significance I was giving it in that spread. I got an excellent reading using this method, probably the best I've done so far! So I will continue to use this method and see how it holds up over time.

Thanks very much for the suggestions! They've been a great help.

The Happy Squirrel

There's a post/thread somewhere around here that says it takes 7 shuffles to properly randomize a deck. So make sure your number is at least 7. If you pick cards from a fan instead of taking cards from the top of the deck, then number of shuffles isn't as important.

This is interesting. Thanks for this. I am noting this down.

Funny enough I have started picking cards from a fanned spread just recently.

I have always just shuffled until I feel like stopping, and then I stopped.

MissChiff

This is interesting. Thanks for this. I am noting this down.

Funny enough I have started picking cards from a fanned spread just recently.

I have always just shuffled until I feel like stopping, and then I stopped.

That's funny I have been doing that just recently myself.

Farzon

When I pull the cards from the top, I like to include a pile shuffle like Rodney. I won't do it at the beginning though, first come a few overhand shuffles. This manes sure the cards are thoroughly randomized. And I use to cut my deck to finish the shuffling - I take a random part from the top of the deck and switch it with the bottom one. As soon as I've done that, the shuffling is finished. I know that's a bad answer - because, how do I know it's time to cut? Well, simply as soon as I don't like to shuffle anymore. It gets boring after some time you know! [emoji6]

ETA: To give a concrete answer: as soon as I don't want to shuffle any longer, I'm done. It's that profane feeling of boredom, nothing more, nothing less -.-

Achlys

For me, I get an intuitive feeling for when I should stop shuffling.
I've tried the numbered shuffle approach and honestly it didn't work for me.

But at the same time it sounds like you may not be connected with your deck. I would recommend cleansing it and maybe taking some time to really bond with it.
That might be why you're getting garbled readings and it doesn't feel right.