Are there any cards you check before getting a deck?

SashaCY

I've done it the other way. I finally bought a deck I didn't really love all that much, because I wanted the 4 of cups (my favorite card overall). I told myself I could just save the one image on the computer to look at, but over the years I was just determined to buy the deck anyways. Now I have it, and it's fine but I don't use it. Still, I can't ever get rid of it, I must have that card :bugeyed: --- I'm insane.
Fascinating, why do you like the 4 of cups? Which tarot is it that has such a loveable 4 of cups?
I was just wondering these days about that card because in toths deck it speaks of kind of a platonic love but it n other decks it speaks of unfullfilment ( in the little book of the decks) I like the card because it reminds me if day dreaming and I am most certainly a day dreamer.
I'd love to read you view on it

Annabelle

Interesting discussion related to the cost of buying decks, and thereby wanting to see all the cards before purchasing (to avoid wasting money).

For me, I admit that the higher the price of the deck, the more likely I am to want to see as many cards as possible before making a purchasing decision, UNLESS it is an artist whose work I already know well.

So, I'll happily take a chance on a $20 or $30 deck after seeing a preview of a few cards, but for a $100 deck, I'll want to see more first. Not all the cards, but at least a pretty broad sample. Unless it's something by Robert Place, or Baba Studios, or a handful of other artists and creators whose work I would willingly buy sight-unseen.

WhiteWolfy

I don't actually check decks for individual cards, it is the deck as a whole that i look at. The artwork has to pull me from the get go for me to buy it mainly because i read more visually.

If it's a collaborative deck i just won't buy it full stop, they just don't feel cohesive to me and i find them jarring but hey ho that's just how i feel about them...

Tigerangel

If it's a collaborative deck i just won't buy it full stop, they just don't feel cohesive to me and i find them jarring but hey ho that's just how i feel about them...

Totally agree with you with collaborative decks I just can't visually connect with them at all!

I stated in my other post the cards I like to look at, but if I find a decks overall theme visually appealing then thats what makes me buy a deck, I don't need to see all the cards to purchase any decks.

Yelell

Fascinating, why do you like the 4 of cups? Which tarot is it that has such a loveable 4 of cups?
I was just wondering these days about that card because in toths deck it speaks of kind of a platonic love but it n other decks it speaks of unfullfilment ( in the little book of the decks) I like the card because it reminds me if day dreaming and I am most certainly a day dreamer.
I'd love to read you view on it

I wouldn't call it loveable. It's my favorite because it really reminds me of part of myself. It's strange, in the RWS the 4 of cups seems to remind me to be more grateful for what I have, or less wrapped up in my own mind.

The deck I had to buy was the elemental tarot Smith/Astrop. The 4 of cups/water has a serene, composed outer face shown to the outside world, and an inner voice behind closed walls screaming. It really gets to me, because I have often felt that way.

Attachments

• Elemental Tarot 4 of cups.jpg
    Elemental Tarot 4 of cups.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 73

SashaCY

I wouldn't call it loveable. It's my favorite because it really reminds me of part of myself. It's strange, in the RWS the 4 of cups seems to remind me to be more grateful for what I have, or less wrapped up in my own mind.

The deck I had to buy was the elemental tarot Smith/Astrop. The 4 of cups/water has a serene, composed outer face shown to the outside world, and an inner voice behind closed walls screaming. It really gets to me, because I have often felt that way.
Love the card and love your interpretation of it. Thank you for sharing it!

violetdaisy

That is a cool 4 of C - I buy decks that I have previewed at least a few cards but I don't look specifically at certain cards. I have, however, purchased decks that I think I'll like that I've since gifted because of details that I can't seem to get over - things I focus on so much it's distracting during a read. The teeth in the tarot of the old path, the lovers angel in tarot mucha, and at this moment I still need illustrated pips.

Teyata

The Hermit

The Hermit is my go-to card when first looking at a deck. If I like it, great; if not, it's likely that I won't like the rest of the deck.

However, I have purchased decks without looking at the Hermit. Sure enough, one of my most recent "blind" purchases left me less than thrilled with Card Number 9 - and about 50 others!

Brilliance

Yes! Strength and The Star - my two favorite cards. If I don't like them, I won't buy the deck. :)