Cards. read Reversals or keep upright ?

cozmo0_4

Being new to this, I'm only reading upright cards at the moment.

1). How many of you read this way, or how many read reversal too.

2). How do you think reading just upright would impact on a reading or change its meaning ?

3). How do cards get reversed and then upright again ?

decan

I think that we can read the Rider-Waite Tarot deck upright or reversed. Concerning other decks or oracles, probably it depends on the deck. For example I feel that I ought to read my other deck (the Earth Magic Oracle) upright only.

Concerning the Rider-Waite, and because I haven’t yet a long experience of this deck, to read it reversed was premature (I tried).
When I will be completely comfortable with the meanings of all the cards upright, then I will try one more time to read them reversed.

JackofWands

1) I'm a die-hard reversal user.

2) I don't think it's necessarily wrong to read upright-only, and there are a lot of experienced readers who don't both with reversals. For me, reading with reversals offers a tool that I can use to help nuance my reading. But you're not necessarily missing out by reading without them.

3) I'm not sure I understand this question. Are you asking about how it happens physically? That's a matter of how you shuffle. I riffle shuffle, but some readers who shuffle overhand with periodically turn part of the deck upside-down.

Lareia

I'd like to read with reversals. I don't because I'm compelled to put them all upright again after the reading and I'm too lazy- but not doing it drives me nuts!

That said, I read just as well with upright cards only. I just use the reversed meaning as another potential meaning for the upright ones.

decan

That's a matter of how you shuffle. I riffle shuffle, but some readers who shuffle overhand with periodically turn part of the deck upside-down.
Could I ask: Is there a video somewhere (on youtube for example) where I can see how to do that?

JackofWands

Could I ask: Is there a video somewhere (on youtube for example) where I can see how to do that?

You might be overthinking this. When you're shuffling, stop every now and then and take a portion of the deck (say, a quarter of it). Rotate that part of the deck 180 degrees so that the cards will be reversed. And then put it back into the rest of the deck and keep shuffling to mix the reversed cards with the upright ones.

If you do this relatively frequently, there are sure to be some cards that you reverse, but that you flip back upright when you rotate them again later.

decan

I understand how to do it. Thank you very much!

HallowedNight

I don't read reversals per se, but I do often bring the reversed meaning into my interpretation (sometimes accidentally). I do a lot of intuition based reading with some of my decks, especially the Wild Unknown that only has a few keywords with each card even if you use the LWB for every reading, so a lot of times a reading for a specific card would look like 'here's the meaning and watch out for *reversed meaning*'. Of course, that's really really simplified, but...

I guess basically I see reversal meanings as like a 'watch out for this' kind of thing. Not necessarily a warning, but a little blurb that sometimes fits in with the rest of the reading and sometimes doesn't. And sometimes it'll be a complete accident. I'll get a feeling from a card, or remember sich and such meaning, and it happens to be the reversed one. Maybe that's not how it should be done, but that's just kind of how I've started reading!

I also agree with the people who say that they read some decks with reversals and others without. Even if I did read reversals normally, I would probably not read them with my Wild Unknown, just because I feel like it does all the talking it needs to upright. My Tarot of Pagan Cats or Deviant Moon I probably would read with reversals though. It's all a matter of preference! :D

Tanga

Being new to this, I'm only reading upright cards at the moment.

1). How many of you read this way, or how many read reversal too.

2). How do you think reading just upright would impact on a reading or change its meaning ?

3). How do cards get reversed and then upright again ?

I read only with uprights until the point where I felt that I could comfortably remember the upright meanings without looking them up.
Now I read reversals.

As you get more practices at reading - sometimes you might read uprights like they're reversed. It all depends on the question and your intuition about it all. So - a reading could be the same or different depending.
I don't remember having any problems when I was reading with just uprights. Neither do I have any problems now reading with reversals (and I don't always read with all the reversals - sometimes, if there are a large amount of them in a spread - I'll turn some upright. Some days I may just not be in the mood to use reversals and so I won't. etc.)

Cards get reversed by the ways in which one shuffles them. One can deliberately upright them all and then shuffle carefully so that they all stay upright.

Chitrani

Die hard reversal reader here !

That said there's nothing wrong with reading only upright. Personally I'd to have a talk with my cards about that.

"Ok cards, I'm only reading upright, so don't bother reversing yourselves, got that?"

Yeah I talk to may cards, like they are employees or small school children, it probably doesn't do any good but it makes people laugh :p

Then I'd put them all right side up, and prolly pick up the deck upside down ! (I have very sarcastic cards :)

(Actually this happens to me when I read Lenormand, I'm constantly getting the entire deck upside down!)

YMMV

Chitrani

I don't think it changes the meaning, as long s you are clear in your intention, that your aren't reading reversed.

If you do want to start reading reversed, an easy way to start might be with the court cards, if you are familiar with their personalities and looks. You can just append the word "NOT" to the court cards, as in, "You are going to meet someone and he is NOT going to be the King of Swords".

No idea how the cards reverse themselves or un-reverse them selves.