Can decks have zodiac signs?

Lucas Prince of Cats

I was just wondering if anyone has ever thought of figuring out astrological signs for their decks, and how they would do it, like, would it be for when they were first opened by you?

decan

I think we can say that a deck is more under the influence of such or such Planet rather than a particular Sign.
To do this is something traditional in astrology.
For example a dark deck will be under the influence of Saturn, etc.

Richard

I was just wondering if anyone has ever thought of figuring out astrological signs for their decks, and how they would do it, like, would it be for when they were first opened by you?

Why would one want to do that?

nisaba

<grin> Probably the "rising sign" would be determined when the idea of the deck first "arose" in the creator's mind.

Probably the Moon sign would be determined by the moment when the Moon card was completed.

Probably the Sun sign would be determined by the date of first publication.

I'm interested, myself, in charts for the moment of a person's *conception* rather than birth, and the moment of their death.

How would a deck's sign change anything?

Etene

You could inspect a chart for a deck's first use (Because that is the moment when it first is a working tarot deck. Before that, it's just artwork.), but I don't think it would give much useful information since many of the matters that astrology considers focus on humanity's affairs which don't apply to a deck of cards. I believe the deck interview spread techniques would be more insightful if you want information about how a deck will behave.
I'm interested, myself, in charts for the moment of a person's *conception*
Unfortunately for the art, even astrologers are often distracted at that moment for some mysterious reason. There are techniques that are intended to turn back a nativity to conception, but all prior moments suffer from being before the time that native is biologically disconnected from its mother.

To use astrology constructively with the opening of a new deck, I would suggest electing a time to first use, or at least to break the seal of, the deck that agrees with what you want to use the deck for. If you bought the deck to give quality readings, you would probably want Asc (general condition), Moon (emotion), Mercury (craftiness), and Saturn (wisdom) in good places when you break the seal or take your first client with it. If you wanted it to help guide your own investments, Jupiter and Fortuna agreeing with your nativity would be critical.

delinfrey

Well, I guess there could be some truth in looking at the time the deck was completed (kinda like a birth sign) and the creation process, and try to find some influences.

But I think it makes more sense to take a look at the chart of the artist and his/her influences during the process, rather than the deck itself.

celticnoodle

As Padma posted here:
I am confused, your opening title says can decks have zodiac signs (several do) and then your opening post asks if you assign tarot signs to your decks?

The Holy Light tarot, one out of many that do so, assigns zodiac signs to the cards.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/holy-light/review.shtml

Yes, there are many tarot decks that have consistent zodiac signs assigned to them and I don't believe it was done in accordance to when the deck was thought about, designed or published.

Here is one site that lists what tarot cards are associated with specific zodiac signs
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tarotcom/zodiac-tarot-cards-whats-_b_5639787.html

and here is another: http://www.tarotmoon.com/articles/AstroCourt/AstroCourt.html

and one more: http://www.sunnyray.org/Tarots-four-elements.htm

Lucas Prince of Cats

No no, I mean that the DECK has signs, not the cards of the deck. I've heard of that, but do you know how decks kind of have personalities? Well, I was thinking about if they could also have zodiac signs, like if a deck were leo or gemini or libra.