our feelings lol

Sometimes even if we can't give our hearts
exactly what they ache for, we can nourish
them in so many creative ways that can give
them ease til perhaps we can figure out
the "essense" of what is needed and find various
ways to provide more of that.

NorthernTigress

I just finished a posting on the subject of the Trey of Swords for my Primary Deck Reflection of the Gilded. I've had some issues with this card for a while. Especially the "pierced heart" image. So I'm interested in anything I can find on the subject.

ETA

Here's a reposting of my blog post.

"Shot through the heart, and you're to blame. You give Love a bad name." Jon Bon Jovi

As a follow up to the previous blog, I'm doing an introspection on why I have Issues with the Three of Swords.I'll be taking this seriously, so it won't just be a "I hate it" rant. I promise that I will use the absolute minimum of words like "icky". (Though I can't guarantee a complete lack of such words.)

Issue #1: The Image

Yes, I realize that the pierced-heart image is historically significant, and that it, in fact, predates the RWS. That doesn't stop me from having a gut-reaction every time I see it. And that reaction is "Why?" There must be a hundred different ways to represent the concept of being "heartbroken" that doesn't involve an actual heart. It seems rather morbid to me, and at the same time overly simplistic. It also instantly brings to mind, for me at least, the Christian icon of the Sacred Heart. Christ's heart, sometimes still in his chest, is pierced by a spear, surrounded by thorns, and on fire. And somehow this is supposed to represent God's Love?

Deep Breath. I apologize. I promised No Ranting. Just give me a moment to get back on track.

Another difficulty I have with this image being used specifically in the Gilded is the fact that it doesn't match the rest of the images. When I talk about Ciro Marchetti's style, the word I most often use is that his art is "alive". The use of colour, shape and movement brings each picture to life. But when I say there is "life" in the Gilded deck, I also mean that literally. Out of 78 cards, Major and Minor, 66 of them have people in them. Another five have animals somewhere in the card. Which leaves a mere seven cards, 9% of the deck, having no life in them at all.

Those seven cards are Death, the Wheel of Fortune, the Sun, the Ace of Wands, the Ace of Cups, the Ace of Swords and the Three of Swords. Out of these cards, two of the Aces contain some part of a person. The Cup has an all-seeing eye; the Wand is held by two hands in an 'offering' position. In both cases they are life-like, not just symbols. The skull in the Death card is not realistic, in fact it reminds me of heraldry. The Wheel of Fortune is a machine, and in the context of Ciro's work, that just makes sense.

Which leaves us with the Three of Swords: a Valentine's-style heart floating among clouds, with a sun-symbol and three swords. It makes me want to hum the "one of these things is not like the others" song from Sesame Street. Although I must admit, the only thing that would be more morbid than a Valentine's heart pierced by swords would be a realistic heart pierced by swords. (Please tell me there aren't any decks that have done this!)

Issue #2: Concept doesn't match its Suit

Once I've "gotten over" the image of the card, there's another question for me. That is "what's the idea of Heartbreak doing in the Swords anyway?" A broken heart is an emotional state, which properly belongs in the cups. Unless of course you are arguing that heartbreak isn't emotional at all, but rather a form of obsession. Thoughts (swords) turn inward, preventing natural healing. In a sense, you've put those swords there yourself, not your lover, and only you can take them out. All Right. I'm willing to concede this point. But still, finding a heart (literally) in the Swords suit is rather odd.

Issue #3: Concept doesn't match its number

My interpretation of the Threes has always been that they are a direct consequence of the "decision" that was made in the Twos. In the Cups, choosing with one's heart (Two) leads to joyful celebration (Three). In the Wands, choosing a path (Two) leads to starting a venture (Three). In the Pentacles, choosing between two projects (Two) leads to perfecting a skill (Three).

But how does making an intellectual decision, free from distractions, lead to heartbreak? Where's the connection? Unless the choice was truly "blind", made with no thought at all. But I never got that impression from the Deuce. The Three of Swords just doesn't seem to fit.

I'm opening up the Comments section here. What are your views of the Three of Swords?