Suicide

triple_entendre

a reversed Temperance can also give clues to upset bio-chemistry
Never thought about Temperance that way before, but that really makes sense!

I think,
8 of Wands or Judgment could describe a longing for freedom/reprieve,
5 of Pentacles might describe what's pushing them to it but also alert "quieter" methods like starvation,
7 of Cups, because I've read that suicides are actually more likely to happen when a person's life is just beginning to look up (because they've already made their decision in the dark period, but need a boost of energy to go through with it) and in the RWS there is a person in a shroud, and a probably venomous snake amongst the cups of opportunity...
the Wheel of Fortune could mean a conflict between destiny and free will, or what's been happening (life) and what they want to do (die),
Justice could show they've rationalized their decision, thinking, "Everyone will obviously be better off without me" or "I deserve this..."
... and the Fool.

lilangel09

The Moon may mean someone is thinking of committing suicide, but doesn't know how to go about it doing it...

mosaica

I once did a reading on a dream that I had about someone I know wanting to commit suicide. (He's had several suicidal episodes in his life.) I got:

10 of Wands > Death < 5 of Cups

Talk about a powerful picture that I'll never forget.

obsidian_queen

A side note..

A friend of mine who committed suicide repeatedly came up in readings as the Hanged Man. This hit home, since this was the method he chose in order to take his life - by hanging. Sometimes when I'm very mixed up inside, the decks that I use the most give me very literal images..almost as if they're holding my hand and spelling things out for me.

As for indications that a person may be headed in that direction, I feel the 10 of swords coupled with Death and/or 10 of wands/ 5 of cups are very distressing combinations that say that the person needs help desperately - even if they're not yet trying to commit suicide they may begin very soon to think it may be a good solution.

Eowyn

In Thirteen's reversed meanings, it says that a reversed knight of cups can be suicidal, as the most extremely manifestation of this court when reversed.

satine

Knight of Wands said:
9 of Swords could represent the mental anguish?

I agree that the 9 of Swords would almost have to be in there somewhere. Depression, distorted thinking, being overwhelmed, in anguish...

ana luisa

I am surprised nobody thought of the Tower. Having lost a dear friend who "tried to fly away", and having in mind that it's a card that marks a drastic end, I'd vote for it.

WalesWoman

I think I would look for 4 Cups to come up somewhere, possibly 7 Cups, with other cards that are "ending" ones, like the 10's, especially swords. Things that point to isolation, unhappiness, despair, so might expect to see some 9's as well. Maybe the Hanged Man, but more likely the Devil and Tower, possibly even World... or even Fool, leaving it all behind and leaping off that cliff into the unknown.

clarity

Waleswoman, could you explain why the 4 of cups and 7 of cups?

Grizabella

Marina said:
Besides, i've seen many people who are actually, not happy, but IN PEACE just for thinking about leaving this life. I think the pictorial analogy would be right.

My husband was so at peace the day before he died that it was almost palpable when in the room with him. I remember that day like it was yesterday for that reason.

During the night he died at about 3am right after I went to bed. Of course, I remember finding him very vividly, too, but remembering how at peace he was that day before stands out because it was so different. He was always a happy, easy-going guy on the surface. His best friend called him Joy Boy because he was always so happy, outgoing, thoughtful of others, made such an effort to make others happy. It seemed he was unflappable. But then that day before he died was just absolutely something very different and it was definitely a peace. Peace that he'd made the decision, I'm sure, and that he knew he was leaving this life.