Margarete Petersen Study Group: Ten of Cups

firemaiden

Description:

Framed in the center, shines a square sunlit sea-scape. Ten* gentle waves advance toward the seashore in varying angles, reflect myriad patterns of light and color. A lion-like face or mask is faintly suggested beneath the surface of the water.

In the frame, in her characteristic swirling wave-like patterns of tiny pearls over gold-foil, I have seen, or imagined I have seen, the venus-like body of woman, a sea-otter's face, a japanese geisha in flowing silk robes...

---
(*depending upon how you count, but I hope there are ten, because it would make sense)

Comments:

The sea-scape gives a feeling of deep, fulfilling calm, the quenching of all desires.

Margarete Petersen's text: my attempted tranlation:
Fulfillment.. The ocean, the Water from which every thing comes, and in which everything is. The sources, rivers, waves, depths, tears. You are with washed with all waters. You have accepted all the facets of your emotions.The ocean has carried you, held you, immersed you, tossed you about, gently rocked you, washed you onto shore, and carried you back again. You were doused in hidden valleys and shown the richness of your Emotions. You were cooled and warmed, enveloped. You were mirrored, and your thirst was quenched.

Return to MP Index

galadrial

Hi firemaiden,
I'm enjoying your descriptions from the actual cards- which I imagine are even more evocative than the nice, large scans.
I don't really have anything to add to your observations, but I wanted you to know how much I appreciate your taking on this study group. I really love this deck, but have been put off getting it because I think I would be lost without knowing what she was thinking of with the minors. If I do end up getting the deck, it will be because you are willing to translate:) Many thanks.

firemaiden

Yay!! Thank you galadrial! There is someone to hear the tree falling in the forest!

Little Baron

This card reminds me of a happy ending.

You know how a film closes on a still landscape and the titles begin to roll up the screen. All the debris has settled to the bottom and all we can see is the rising sun of a new day. The mourning is over. The tears have been dried. The dust has settled. We can relax again.

Do you remember the film, Jaws. Now, there was a lot of action in that movie. And a lot of it was underwater, just like our suit of cups. There was loss, adventure, obstacles, celebrations and love. There was endings. And new beginnings. And right at the end of that movie, the sea took on a serene and picturesque mood, not unlike this card. All the death and destruction was over.

This is a good card. It concludes a good suit; well thought out.

Funnily enough, before I linked your [and my] mind to the film Jaws, I had already noticed what looks like a large shark within the water of this card. At the bottom right of the square. It's mouth is slightly open and it glides just under the surface. It looks like a great white. It adds a twist. Is all as wonderful and dandy as it seems. Is the drama really over???

LB

[Can anyone else see the shark???]