Deck of the Week : Sign-up Thread: Week 302 : May 13 - May 19

Green Faerie

Hello friends,

On thursday morning my beautiful cat Aria fell in the neighbour's well and was taken out of the well thanks to the help of three neighbours. The well was deep and there was very cold water in the bottom. It was uneasy to reach the bottom, the ladder we had was too short.... it took almost an hour to get her out, and she was in severe hypothermia when we eventually got her out and took her to the vet.
The vet did all he could to warm her back to life for two days, but the hypothermia was too deep, and eventually Aria's little heart just stopped yesterday.
So, later today, my husband and sons and I are going to take her little body in the mountains near our home, to find a resting place for her.

I am so sorry, Carojulie! Sending lots of love and soft hugs to you from my little spot in the world. Pets are so special, and they mean so much - they really are our little fur babies and part of the family, and it is always hard to lose a family member. It sounds like Aria was a wonderful cat and you did absolutely everything you could for her. *HUGS*

Green Faerie

Thanks for the welcome all and the tips and ideas, look forward to the upcoming week. Cheers, Cynthia

Hello, Cynthia, and welcome! :) So nice to have you. I had a couple of thoughts for you and catschinwag about ways to work with your deck or get to know it. Some lovely person here on the forum created a three-card spread that is my go-to daily spread:

1. What will be the positive part of my day?
2. What will be my challenge?
3. How can I positively overcome this challenge?

I try to draw the cards in the morning and then come back to them in the evening and journal about them, so that I can reflect on what happened during the day and how the cards relate to the day's events.

If I have time, I might try a more complex spread. One of the things I really like to do with my decks is work through the spreads in Rachel Pollack's New Tarot Handbook - she has a spread for each Major Arcana card, and I think spreads for each suit as well. The Majors spreads are amazing, though - they tell you so much! Barbara Moore's Tarot Spreads is my other go-to book when I am looking for an interesting new spread - and of course there are a million here on the forum, created by members! :)

Trogon

Hi VGimlet! I'm going to jump in (only a couple of days late) with my Fantastic Menagerie Tarot. It's a deck I've had for a few years and have never really used.

AJ

I like how connected to nature it feels. Would you be willing to share what you disliked about it, just to satisfy my curiosity? :D

A long long time ago, in a land far away, there was a deck named Greenwood...

It would be easier and days quicker to link you to past threads that are Wildwood specific.

http://www.tarotforum.net/search.php?searchid=6341602

On the other hand, if she likes her Wildwood, let it be. Only the people in the land of Greenwood care one way or the other.

Wecome to our new riders, plenty of room in the Night Bus for everyone

Green Faerie

A long long time ago, in a land far away, there was a deck named Greenwood...

It would be easier and days quicker to link you to past threads that are Wildwood specific.

http://www.tarotforum.net/search.php?searchid=6341602

On the other hand, if she likes her Wildwood, let it be. Only the people in the land of Greenwood care one way or the other.

Wecome to our new riders, plenty of room in the Night Bus for everyone

Oooh, thank you for the link to all the discussion threads! I had read a number of threads here when the Wildwood first came out, and I saw that those who love the Greenwood were very unhappy with the Wildwood, for a variety of reasons. It seems that those who really love the Greenwood do not find the Wildwood very readable or helpful, and I can understand that - the art is very different.

I just read through the thread that was comparing the Wildwood and the Druidcraft, and that was enlightening and helpful. The Wildwood does feel (as several people in the thread noted) very shamanistic, pagan, and old, in a time and space where nature is worshipped and also acknowledged as primal and sometimes dark. Someone else said that the Druidcraft has a bit of Arthurian feel to it, as well, especially in the depictions of people, that the Wildwood does not, even though they are both very nature-oriented decks. The Wildwood also seems to have fewer people overall. I can see how the Wildwood is very appealing to those who a) don't have an attachment to the Greenwood and b) perhaps want a pre-Christian/Shamanistic/nature-oriented deck that has more animals and fewer people.

Thank you for the insight, AJ! I'm just always curious about why people tend to lean toward or reject particular decks. :)

RavenOfSummer

Hello everyone! I am late to the party once again, but I am in with my Rumi Tarot, Moon Phases Oracle, and continuing to work on learning the Voice of the Trees.

Carojulie, so sorry for your loss, sending love and healing energy (((()))) <3

Luxa

The Mary-El is divine as always; just drawing Temperance lowered my heart rate by about 20bpm

Sorry you were having one of those days yesterday Scarlet, hope today's been better!

I loved your comment about Temperance lowering your heart rate though! It kind of drove home my issue with the fountain tarot for me. I pulled out Temperance, and yes the art work is amazing, but I wasn't moved. I should have been physically moved by it, right?!

I Googled Mary El's Temperance and what a difference! Then I decided to grab a few other Temperance cards and compare them to the fountain tarot - every single one of then gave me more of a feeling of Temperance, even the everyday witch tarot!!

So I think, although I love the fountain tarot for its style, packaging, card stock, silver gilding, minimalism and beautiful art, it's just a bit too cool for me. I'm still glad I have it, it's a gorgeous thing!

I'll keep going with it though, maybe I'm just having a day!!

What do you all think?

https://ibb.co/hSDRfk

RavenofSummer, can't wait to see your Moon Phase Oracle readings- I love it!

lantana

I loved your comment about Temperance lowering your heart rate though! It kind of drove home my issue with the fountain tarot for me. I pulled out Temperance, and yes the art work is amazing, but I wasn't moved. I should have been physically moved by it, right?!

I Googled Mary El's Temperance and what a difference! Then I decided to grab a few other Temperance cards and compare them to the fountain tarot - every single one of then gave me more of a feeling of Temperance, even the everyday witch tarot!!

What do you all think?

https://ibb.co/hSDRfk

I honestly do get a calmed reaction to the Fountain's Temperance. I love how hazy it looks, it brings memories of cool autumn days to my skin. (The perfect temperature, not hot like most days here but not bitterly cold yet!)

Actually the Wooden Tarot Temperance you showed is probably my least favorite Temperance in my collection. I get nothing out of it, which is a bummer because Temperance is my fave card overall... Different strokes for different folks, I suppose! I do agree it's not the most evocative Temperance, and really, what can beat the Mary-El's depiction?

Anyway, I'm slowly cracking the Cosmos' code. For instance, I think it's not a very good deck for daily draws (or really any reading without a definite question...) So I'm just gonna have to think up some things to ask it every day instead... and then figure out what kinds of questions I doesn't like to answer. Such a picky deck!

Cynthia_H

Hello, Cynthia, and welcome! :) So nice to have you. I had a couple of thoughts for you and catschinwag about ways to work with your deck or get to know it. Some lovely person here on the forum created a three-card spread that is my go-to daily spread:
1. What will be the positive part of my day?
2. What will be my challenge?
3. How can I positively overcome this challenge?
I try to draw the cards in the morning and then come back to them in the evening and journal about them, so that I can reflect on what happened during the day and how the cards relate to the day's events.
If I have time, I might try a more complex spread. One of the things I really like to do with my decks is work through the spreads in Rachel Pollack's New Tarot Handbook - she has a spread for each Major Arcana card, and I think spreads for each suit as well. The Majors spreads are amazing, though - they tell you so much! Barbara Moore's Tarot Spreads is my other go-to book when I am looking for an interesting new spread - and of course there are a million here on the forum, created by members! :)

Hi Green Faerie

Thanks for the welcome. I certainly will try this spread. Funny you mention Rachel Pollack's New Tarot Handbook, I just picked up a copy at my favourite thrift shop a couple weeks ago, have yet to read it but certainly will. I'll keep my eyes open for Barbara Moore's Tarot Spreads too. Cheers, Cynthia

Green Faerie

Hi Green Faerie

Thanks for the welcome. I certainly will try this spread. Funny you mention Rachel Pollack's New Tarot Handbook, I just picked up a copy at my favourite thrift shop a couple weeks ago, have yet to read it but certainly will. I'll keep my eyes open for Barbara Moore's Tarot Spreads too. Cheers, Cynthia

Hi Cynthia - you're so welcome! We love new people here at the DOTW thread. :) The thing I love about that particular three-card draw, I think, is that it has positivity built right into it - you're asking the deck how to keep your day moving in a positive direction, rather than sliding into negativity and frustration. Do let me know what you think of the Pollack! I have found it an incredibly helpful and insightful book.