Would the Magician make a good husband?

anjocoxo

the magician

Well, I have to admit that, having in mind everything thirteen said, the magician is exactly my kind of men.... I like surprises, I don't mind the stress, and I'm not bothered with his flirtation with other women.... that's because (and I have to admit) I exactly the same way... as I was reading the post, I felt someone was describing me!

Oh, well, people say the opposites are drawn together, maybe we wouldn't get along so well (image of an ex-boyfriend comes to my head... he was like that... didn't work... hummmmm)

Anjo

My boyfriend is my opposite, and we have been together for 5 years :D

Thirteen

Re: the magician

Originally posted by anjocoxo I'm not bothered with his flirtation with other women.... that's because (and I have to admit) I exactly the same way... as I was reading the post, I felt someone was describing me!

Maybe that's because you're the Magician. I see no reason why the Magician should always be defined as male--especially as there's no equilivant female card (Queen of Wands is close, but there again, she's too fiery; not the cool charmer like our Magician).

Originially posted by Indigo Lady Anyways.... in case you haven't noticed, I call them boys

Because that is what they will always be...

You say that as if it's a bad thing ;) And, hey, yes, I know all about the Peter Pan syndrome and how obnoxious such sustained adolescence can be. And I certainly think men like Alex's father should NOT have childen, because, like self-centered little boys, they aren't responsible, and they don't think of anyone outside of themselves.

If the question is, how's the Magician as a dad?--ouch! Magician as husband is one thing, Magician as dad...the kids will love him and always have a playmate, but there's no relying on him as a provider or care-taker. Then again, perhaps I'm libeling the poor guy. He can be a sucessful and clever Doctor. Such a doctor would provide well for the kids--but likely not be around for them because he's always be attending dinners and parties in his honor.

On the other hand, I do prefer a youthful, playful, perpetually optimistic mate to the guys who are old before their time. The 30-somethings locked into joyless, cynical work routines because they see themselves as having responsibilities and being "the adult" (there's our Knight of Pents who can easily become a grumpy King of Pents). Once again, we come back to what kind of spouse is on the other side of that Magician. If the spouse is content to play "mom" and breadwinner, then the Magician is really no problem.

isthmus nekoi

Gee, I learned on Vertigo's Tarot, and the Magician there is a real geek type, so I've always carried that geek image w/me - the kind of person who can remember every little detail of whatever they are interested in, and this extreme curiousity/fascination. The guy in Vertigo's card is wearing very thick geek glasses and has an open book on his head - so I imagine any Magician flamboyance as geeks going out to roleplaying events (sorry for the stereotype). This in a way, is also a Peter Pan kinda thing perhaps.

Moongold

Well, I'm fascinated by this thread.

After all this time I see women projecting the same sorts of things on to the Magician as men do with Queen Swords and it opens the door a bit more on how to use the Courts.

It is partly about applying the qualities of Tarot characters to people but something a bit more profound than that too.

Like Isthmus, I hadn't seen the Magician in the same light. He's been more "magick" than "geek".

Alex

YOu mean Queen of Wands?

The Q of Swords ain't no trickster, she's just a woman who can think. And that is bothersome, I guess.

Alex.

Moongold said:
After all this time I see women projecting the same sorts of things on to the Magician as men do with Queen Swords and it opens the door a bit more on how to use the Courts.

Moongold

No Alex, I mean Queen Swords :)

There are more threads here about Queen Swords than any other character I reckon.

I don't see Queen Wands as a trickster but then I didn't see Magician as that either :D.

All about projections?

LittleWing

well what type of woman would be most suited to the magician??? - it would have to be someone who can see through his illusions and actions - knowing which were credible. a strong woman, confident and sure.

some one who put him on a pedistol, or saw him through rose coloured glasses may get swept up in the romance and charm - coming down to earth with a bump!!

but then would he be more suited to someone more submissive???

Thirteen

Queen of Wands/High Priestess

LittleWing said:
well what type of woman would be most suited to the magician???

As I mentioned, he needs either the Queen of Wands, or the High Priestess.

The Queen of Wands can share the stage with him; if they're at a party, she'll be her own center of attention and not feel neglected. She can match him in dinner conversation, and she can scare away any other woman who might try to hone in on her husband. And she'll make the Magician's ideas a reality--if she likes them, she's get to work on them and turn them into solid inventions.

The High Priestess is content to stay in the background and let her husband be the center of attention--she doesn't want to be seen. She's happy to work back stage to make his tricks come off flawlessly. And she loves listening to him. When he's off to parties, she's happy enough to remain at home with her books, and to hear all about the party from him when he returns. He is her window to the world. Also, the High Priestess is not going to be threatened by other women. She is the only one who can really understand and appreciate his ideas, and that keeps him coming back to her. And those ideas, which make such use of her knowledge, is what keeps her happy with him.

but then would he be more suited to someone more submissive?

Absolutely not! Neither would be any good for the other. If the woman isn't full of mystery and surprise, he'll wander away from her, again and again, or just take her for granted. She has to be strong enough to kick his *ss, and smart enough to stimulate his mind--and for the Magician to feel that HE stimulates her mind as well. He charms women by the score, that's easy. But only a woman clever enough to see though his tricks, while still being charmed by them, can be his true partner.

That's why the Queen of Swords is a no-go by the way. She'll see through his tricks easy enough--but she won't be charmed by them.

Alex

Moongold

Some think that's all there is to existance.

Sometimes I believe it, sometimes I don't.

Alex.

Moongold said:
All about projections?

Moongold

Good point Alex!

I had never thought of the Magician in the way this thread does but I see why people do. I just don't think of men in the same way :) My perspectives have been widened.

The Magician for me has always been a colleague of the High Priestess. I do see great connections and parallels between them, but also major differences. This more how I see him:
The Magician personifies the thinking One preceding the unborn idea, that unconscious instant between two conscious moments, that treasure trove of all that is visible and invisible. Around the Magician, a masculine centre, extends the feminine generative elements within which the creative can become differentiated; without differentiation the Eternal Being remains unmanifest.......

I suppose the trickster stuff comes in with the Magician's mastery of duality. The Magician confronts us with light and darkness, God and no-God, energy and form, spirit and body, intellect and emotions. I've always really admired these things about the Magician and forgot he was supposed to be masculine. :) I wonder whether men feel left out in discussions of the feminine archetype? This gender stuff is interesting.

But this thread is about potential husbands so I've digressed - my apologies.